Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] What are Dunk and Duffy's limitations?

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
On the pitch I don't think there is a great deal wrong, Lewis has improved his touch which meant on occasion he had to dive into tackles to try and win the ball back, which cost him a few cards. The partnership is great, with both knowing exactly what their responsibilities are and covering for each other. They seem to have made the step up from Championship to Premier League comfortably.

Lewis seems to be the model professional off the field too, don't see a lot of social media issues or stories of trouble in town.

Duffy does seem to be a bit of a liability off the pitch and has had a number of incidents in the last couple of years which could have impacted him on the pitch. They don't seem to so far, but as a Premier league footballer he does need to improve his decision making in this area a bit.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Impressing BG.

SockMonster

Oct 12, 2007
Brighton
It seems almost too obvious to say our best-ever centre back pairing, but in the early 80s we had Lawrenson and Foster. At the time it was often said they were the best central defence partnership in the top flight.
Dunk and Duffy are immense and as a pair are probably better than Foster and Lawrenson although I think individually Foster and Lawro may have been better. One of my favourite Albion games was October 1981 at White Hart Lane. Spurs needed a win to go top for first time in a long while. Spurs fans thought this one was a nailed on win....and we won 1-0! Fantastic backs to the wall performance. Two best players on the pitch that day by a country mile were Steve Foster and Glenn Hoddle.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
On the pitch I'm not sure they have any.

Just did a very quick flick through Liverpool's results so far, and believe I am right in saying, only us and Man City have prevented Liverpool scoring from open play in a league match this season.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Dunk and Duffy are the best centre back pairing in world football.

They have no limitations this week.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Some of my family are Brighton & Hove Albion season ticket holders, they think they are proper shitehouse...

...oh.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Dunk and Duffy are immense and as a pair are probably better than Foster and Lawrenson although I think individually Foster and Lawro may have been better. One of my favourite Albion games was October 1981 at White Hart Lane. Spurs needed a win to go top for first time in a long while. Spurs fans thought this one was a nailed on win....and we won 1-0! Fantastic backs to the wall performance. Two best players on the pitch that day by a country mile were Steve Foster and Glenn Hoddle.

Except that Lawrenson was already at Liverpool by then. It was Foster and Gatting that day.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Some of my family are Brighton & Hove Albion season ticket holders, they think they are proper shitehouse...
I sit in the East Upper, where we get a really good view, and the general opinion up there is that they're shit. Also, I was speaking to my neighbour's cat, who sits in the west stand's middle tier, and they see it the same.

Raskolnikov

Aug 13, 2014
Wivenhoe
They both do have weaknesses to be sure, but the other's strengths help out in those circumstances. They may not be the best individual CBs in the PL, but defo the best pairing together

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
It is usual for us to play a defensive style with wingers supporting the full backs and the full backs tucking in to protect the central defenders. There is nothing wrong with this but it gives the central defenders protection and particularly on the ground. If they played for a more expansive team they would be more exposed and probably Duffy would come up short. I may be wrong of course they are both now international players. For us though the pairing is great.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It is usual for us to play a defensive style with wingers supporting the full backs and the full backs tucking in to protect the central defenders. There is nothing wrong with this but it gives the central defenders protection and particularly on the ground. If they played for a more expansive team they would be more exposed and probably Duffy would come up short. I may be wrong of course they are both now international players. For us though the pairing is great.

Fingers crossed we'll find out in the upcoming home games.
There's no reason why the defense shouldn't be allowed to defend while the attackers do just that.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I think those two absolutely sum up what the club has been trying to do. Build a solid foundation in a smart, sustainable way.

Dunk, a homegrown talent. Duffy, a smart buy when everyone else thought we were mad. They're really something we should be proud of as a club. Our goalkeeping and defensive coaching is a huge reason we are where we are.

So what are Dunk and Duffy's limitations? Errrm, they're only the greatest centre back pairing in the Premier League. That do?

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
They're definitely not the best pair in the PL. But I'd argue they're the best from the top 6 down.

I also think that our system really does suit them as a pair considering how deep and compact we play. For me, Dunk is a more rounded CB who could probably step up another level; Duffy (who's been excellent for us this year) I don't personally think can. Dunk's only real weakness is his turn of pace (which is neutralised in our system). Duffy has the same weakness, but he's also generally less effective against strikers with good movement, trickery and pace, he doesn't read the game quite as well when he has to play as the covering CB and he's incredibly limited on the ball. He's an excellent stopper type CB, but taken out of this role, in a team that wants to pass out of the back and wants to play a high line... I'm not personally so sure he'd be anywhere near as effective. Although others are welcome to disagree, and I must say I've been so, so impressed with both of them this year.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
They're definitely not the best pair in the PL. But I'd argue they're the best from the top 6 down.

I also think that our system really does suit them as a pair considering how deep and compact we play. For me, Dunk is a more rounded CB who could probably step up another level; Duffy (who's been excellent for us this year) I don't personally think can. Dunk's only real weakness is his turn of pace (which is neutralised in our system). Duffy has the same weakness, but he's also generally less effective against strikers with good movement, trickery and pace, he doesn't read the game quite as well when he has to play as the covering CB and he's incredibly limited on the ball. He's an excellent stopper type CB, but taken out of this role, in a team that wants to pass out of the back and wants to play a high line... I'm not personally so sure he'd be anywhere near as effective. Although others are welcome to disagree, and I must say I've been so, so impressed with both of them this year.

Who are the best pair, in the top 6?

There are a fair few individual performers who make D & D look League One at best, but who are the 'pairs'?

I'm pretty sure me and VVD would be a better pair, but if I was truly honest, I doubt I'd be contributing to 50% the pairing.

Dec 29, 2011
If you are logged in, yes.

Testing it on a private browser however and he is still in number 1, that’s not bad for a word with quite a lot of meanings.

It's a personal thing. I tried and he's not even on the first page for me. Most likely due to your location. If Google see's your in Brighton it'll show more results regarding Brighton players.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Who are the best pair, in the top 6?

There are a fair few individual performers who make D & D look League One at best, but who are the 'pairs'?

I'm pretty sure me and VVD would be a better pair, but if I was truly honest, I doubt I'd be contributing to 50% the pairing.

Only VVD and Joe Gomez when fit. Chelsea play a 3, Citeh and Spuds rotate, D & D are better than any Manchester United or Arsenal pair.

Bridcutt

Aug 10, 2011
Dunk - prone to concentration lapses and not great at accelerating. Sometimes also can be a bit weak going into 50/50s/tackles.

Duffy - not great on the ball

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here