Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] BBC2 prog - Adrian Chiles & alcohol addiction

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm watching it now, but it's a great representation of what I said on the Dry January thread:

I also think part of the problem with drink, particularly amongst the middle-aged middle-class, is that it has become quite an acceptable thing to drink what could be considered heavily.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Me too. I regularly give up for extended periods of time (1 month plus, maximum I've done is 6 months), for health reasons mainly. Currently doing Dry January and had a very good afternoon session with some friends in a Brighton pub the other weekend drinking a couple of nice 0% Pale Ales and a couple of coffees in between. The company really made it but I did finish earlier than the rest and left them to it. The one thing that alcohol does very well is make fairly long, often average periods spent in pubs or clubs more fun in one way or another, you just don't get bored as quickly.

Although the low / zero beers are getting better, like decaf tea and coffee, they just aren't the same drink essentially taste-wise. This is probably the biggest issue for me, as I really don't like sugary drinks like coke, lime & soda or fruit juices, and there are only so many sparkling waters one can take. What is getting much better in most pubs is the availability of decent teas and coffees, and there's much less stigma about asking for one now. In the pub I was in just mentioned they actually seemed to be making an effort to be extra nice when I ordered them at the bar, which made it a more pleasant experience than the old strange or begrudging looks I've been used to.

You're right, pubs are much better at making teas and coffees, my two regrets are I can't stand coffee, but I'd love to like it and choose the variety of offerings, and I don't drink fizzy drinks, so that limits what soft alternatives I can have. I'm happy with soda (yes I know it's fizzy but not Coke) and lime and I try the 0% drinks but haven't found one I like.

What I've also done is taken myself out of rounds, this is a huge saving as from the sidelines you realise, more then ever before, how much you actually subsidised the drinking for others!!

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Great going, well done.

I know men and women who’ve destroyed themselves (and the collateral damage, to their kids too) through alcohol.

Sadly me too

Let's face it alcoholism cuts across race sex class etc. It used to be "But I can't be an alcoholic I have a very good job wife and kids. Never been unemployed and don't live on the streets suppin' from a can of strong lager or cider".

Well there's always the yets.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Sadly me too

Let's face it alcoholism cuts across race sex class etc. It used to be "But I can't be an alcoholic I have a very good job wife and kids. Never been unemployed and don't live on the streets suppin' from a can of strong lager or cider".

Well there's always the yets.

George Best's mother started drinking because she couldn't cope when he became famous, it destroyed her, very sad the way that their lives went

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Absolutely superb programme. For me one of the crucial decisions was to stop drinking at home completely and to make it an exclusively pub-based and gig-based activity. Makes a big difference.

True. I have pretty much done this (save for the odd festive short or glass of wine with a special meal), and so have a few of my friends and relatives whose drinking tended towards the heavier side of what is considered healthy. Once you break / make that association it's amazing what a difference it makes, as long as you don't replace it with seven nights a week pubbing or gigging!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
True. I have pretty much done this (save for the odd festive short or glass of wine with a special meal), and so have a few of my friends and relatives whose drinking tended towards the heavier side of what is considered healthy. Once you break / make that association it's amazing what a difference it makes, as long as you don't replace it with seven nights a week pubbing or gigging!

Must say I was thinking Dryathon and then moderate my drinking and keep it in check, however, I'm now thinking about not drinking at home as that would be a good and clearly defined differentiation; my problem is I'm away on business one or two nights a week and it's just bloody boring. This month have replaced with walks, runs and TV in the room, whatever works really.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I think why the program last night resonates is that a lot of us can relate to it. I'm not doing dry January - it's too depressing a month for that - but considered last week relatively light in the grand scheme of things in terms of alcohol. Over the week I had 5 X pints of San Miguel, 4 bottles of red and 2 large bottles of Peroni. That's 61 units. I was easily putting away 3 figures over xmas but can quite happily function the next day. I don't get into a scrap at Yates, still retain all memories and managed to get down the gym on Sunday morning at 08:00 after 5 miguels and a bottle of red on the Saturday. Yet it's clear I'm drinking way, way too much to the extent I'm probably considered a problem drinker. Maybe time for a re-evaluation.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Without alcohol my mate wouldn't have had the balls to call in a lift back from the game on Saturday. That was great.

He also wouldn't have fallen over in my hallway and woken up the baby. That was funny but bad.

These things tend to balance themselves out.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I think why the program last night resonates is that a lot of us can relate to it. I'm not doing dry January - it's too depressing a month for that - but considered last week relatively light in the grand scheme of things in terms of alcohol. Over the week I had 5 X pints of San Miguel, 4 bottles of red and 2 large bottles of Peroni. That's 61 units. I was easily putting away 3 figures over xmas but can quite happily function the next day. I don't get into a scrap at Yates, still retain all memories and managed to get down the gym on Sunday morning at 08:00 after 5 miguels and a bottle of red on the Saturday. Yet it's clear I'm drinking way, way too much to the extent I'm probably considered a problem drinker. Maybe time for a re-evaluation.

Yes, when you start checking the empties and noting the units it's quite a shocker. If you had the miguels and 1 red Saturday then the rest of the week was just 3 bottles of red and 2 large Peroni ..... that doesn't sound like much to me at all, but when you add the units up it's still 40-ish units, way over the guidelines.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Must say I was thinking Dryathon and then moderate my drinking and keep it in check, however, I'm now thinking about not drinking at home as that would be a good and clearly defined differentiation; my problem is I'm away on business one or two nights a week and it's just bloody boring. This month have replaced with walks, runs and TV in the room, whatever works really.

I can relate to that. There are lots of situations in people's lives where, if you like a drink, then having one / several takes away some of the tedium and / or seems to enhance the experience. That's what makes moderating hard, but by no means impossible if you have the will power. Personally, I think stopping drinking at home (and / or drinking alone) is a good first step, and possibly the only step some people need to get down to what is a less harmful level. It works because it's clearly defined and easier to enforce, there's less likelihood of anyone else trying to temp you into having a drink, and fundamentally, drinking is a social thing, so being at home and / or alone just isn't so social a situation as being out or in company.

I remember having a long PM conversation with a regular NSCer who has since sadly died as a result of his drinking. His alcoholism was started through drinking on business lunches, nights etc, in one of the many industries where corporate heavy drinking culture is still a thing. Getting yourself away from that, or the boredom of being away and on your own takes some doing, but doing things like going for a run is a good method. On the admittedly rarer occasions I'm away on business these days I tend to head to the nearest cinema or go for a meal out rather than sitting in the hotel bar or nearest pub counting the hours until bedtime.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I can relate to that. There are lots of situations in people's lives where, if you like a drink, then having one / several takes away some of the tedium and / or seems to enhance the experience. That's what makes moderating hard, but by no means impossible if you have the will power. Personally, I think stopping drinking at home (and / or drinking alone) is a good first step, and possibly the only step some people need to get down to what is a less harmful level. It works because it's clearly defined and easier to enforce, there's less likelihood of anyone else trying to temp you into having a drink, and fundamentally, drinking is a social thing, so being at home and / or alone just isn't so social a situation as being out or in company.

I remember having a long PM conversation with a regular NSCer who has since sadly died as a result of his drinking. His alcoholism was started through drinking on business lunches, nights etc, in one of the many industries where corporate heavy drinking culture is still a thing. Getting yourself away from that, or the boredom of being away and on your own takes some doing, but doing things like going for a run is a good method. On the admittedly rarer occasions I'm away on business these days I tend to head to the nearest cinema or go for a meal out rather than sitting in the hotel bar or nearest pub counting the hours until bedtime.

I'd agree, I also think planning your evening as well as the event itself helps, we've done crazy golf, golf, cinema, FitBit step challenge, all sorts, it does help and if people want to head off to the pub they do but, in the future, I plan to drive, give some people a lift and have a "reason" not to drink!

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I'd agree, I also think planning your evening as well as the event itself helps, we've done crazy golf, golf, cinema, FitBit step challenge, all sorts, it does help and if people want to head off to the pub they do but, in the future, I plan to drive, give some people a lift and have a "reason" not to drink!

Best of luck with it mate, certainly sounds like you're being creative and making it as fun as possible, which means you'll have a much better chance of succeeding.

I've just watched the Adrian Chiles doc, it's a great piece of TV that so many will be able to relate to, and done without any of the patronising, preaching or scare-mongering tactics that so often turn people off to these kind of documentaries. Top work.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
That's me that is . . . At the ripe old age of 47 1/2 I have a few aches clicks and creaks . . . Can't run continuously for more than a mile or so at a time, but manage 5-8km on a Sunday morning regardless, my knees don't like it, I think it just Wear and tear, but possibly worse because of my 'refreshment regime' over the years. I'm not over weight, but no waif. I'm just hoping I actually feel better at the end of the month to make me want to keep up the sensible boring middle aged behaviour!

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I think I found this programme too interesting.
I also think I need to seriously look at what I’m knocking back.
I found myself relating to everything he said,absolutely everything.
A very refreshing piece of TV, so very honest.
I think I need to start counting my units.

I first saw this programme last year and it caused me to download the drink less app. It has changed my attitude to booze, some months last year I only drank once or twice in the entire month. I had some drinks over xmas and new year but am slowly moving away from alcohol and have not drunk this year so far. Recording my alcohol consumption on the app made me realise that we all us drinkers con ourselves that we do not drink much, when you record what you drink you soon realise that most of us would indeed be considered alcoholics.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
What do you drink in the pub? I am trying to work my way through soft drinks that are not just full of sugar but struggling to find things I like.

I don't think you can beat the soda and lime, tbh. I've tried AF Gin, not bad but pricey and won't touch the AF wine. Have tried Becks Blue, again pricey in a pub and must be very cold to give the right impact!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here