Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] BBC2 prog - Adrian Chiles & alcohol addiction

Weststander

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
So much of it makes sense. Hard to imagine sitting in a pub all evening drinking just water/soft drinks, to then honestly say what a great night. Plus peer pressure to not be a “lightweight”.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
So much of it makes sense. Hard to imagine sitting in a pub all evening drinking just water/soft drinks, to then honestly say what a great night. Plus peer pressure to not be a “lightweight”.

I can easily do it, alcohol doesn't make a good night, the company does. Seriously look at your friends if you need alcohol to enjoy your night.

Doctor Crawley

Jun 5, 2012
Crawley
I think I found this programme too interesting.
I also think I need to seriously look at what I’m knocking back.
I found myself relating to everything he said,absolutely everything.
A very refreshing piece of TV, so very honest.
I think I need to start counting my units.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I can easily do it, alcohol doesn't make a good night, the company does. Seriously look at your friends if you need alcohol to enjoy your night.

That's good that you can, but to most people the definition of a pub is a place where people go to drink alcohol. It's like saying you go to football to admire the stadium, which is fine - but not really the idea.

I'm arguing against myself here as I'm giving up the booze for now (not quite sure for how long - possibly forever) but I'm dreading going out on the lash with friends in pubs and bars and not drinking. I think it'll feel as comfortable as wearing a Palace scarf. :down:

As for alcohol to 'enjoy' your night, I'm not sure. Looking back I'm not even sure it makes for a 'great night' as it gets to a point where you just talk bollocks and repeat yourself all the time, but so does everyone else you're out with - which negates it. :glare:

Oh I don't know.. Either way, I've just brought it up on YouTube and am going to watch it right now.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne

Search up the 'Dry January' thread on here. Lots of people taking the piss, but it's worth a read for the people taking it seriously.

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

This.

Doctor Crawley

Jun 5, 2012
Crawley
Search up the 'Dry January' thread on here. Lots of people taking the piss, but it's worth a read for the people taking it seriously.
I have been looking through the thread, and it’s as you would expect I suppose....but to see a TV personality being so frank was,well,quite unexpected.
Well worth a watch for many I would now assume.

theboybilly

That's good that you can, but to most people the definition of a pub is a place where people go to drink alcohol. It's like saying you go to football to admire the stadium, which is fine - but not really the idea.

I'm arguing against myself here as I'm giving up the booze for now (not quite sure for how long - possibly forever) but I'm dreading going out on the lash with friends in pubs and bars and not drinking. I think it'll feel as comfortable as wearing a Palace scarf. :down:

As for alcohol to 'enjoy' your night, I'm not sure. Looking back I'm not even sure it makes for a 'great night' as it gets to a point where you just talk bollocks and repeat yourself all the time, but so does everyone else you're out with - which negates it. :glare:

Oh I don't know.. Either way, I've just brought it up on YouTube and am going to watch it right now.

I find there is nothing worse than turning up, say after you've finished work a bit later, and finding everybody is three or four drinks into the session. I'd rather give it a miss to be honest

Tim Over Whelmed

Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

Have to say doing the Dryathon at the moment and yes, I'd much rather have a pint but once you get in your head you're not drinking you tend to just crack on with the evening. It should be noted though there's be far less "spontaneous" evenings and we're home a little earlier than normal!

Weststander

Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Luckily, I rarely drink anyway. Just not into booze. But Chile’s comment rang true from when I was into the pubs and clubbing.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
I thought Chiles was pretty open about his drinking something that an alcoholic tends to hide.

Having admitted to being an alcoholic myself and attending AA meetings counselling etc I now feel in a good place. However, despite 11-12 years largely of sobriety I always felt that to say I'd never drink again was a step too far. For my sins I'm more addicted to the boozer than the booze. So I still found myself wanting to be in pubs. As warned this naturally led to the odd drink and before you knew it back full on booze.

Where I'm at now is that I've weaned myself off the boozer. I'd joined wine and beer clubs and had the odd order delivered to my home. I've stopped with the wine order and will do the same with the beer order. I've recently bought a new fridge freezer and the fact I can now make ice and buy Diet Coke (other brands are available) I find that to be my new go to rather than open a bottle or can of beer.
I don't crave a drink at home and don't miss rhe boozer when I'm out. I keep a visit to a pub as a special occasion.

Last edited:

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I find there is nothing worse than turning up, say after you've finished work a bit later, and finding everybody is three or four drinks into the session. I'd rather give it a miss to be honest

Completely agree with that.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Have to say doing the Dryathon at the moment and yes, I'd much rather have a pint but once you get in your head you're not drinking you tend to just crack on with the evening. It should be noted though there's be far less "spontaneous" evenings and we're home a little earlier than normal!

Me too. I regularly give up for extended periods of time (1 month plus, maximum I've done is 6 months), for health reasons mainly. Currently doing Dry January and had a very good afternoon session with some friends in a Brighton pub the other weekend drinking a couple of nice 0% Pale Ales and a couple of coffees in between. The company really made it but I did finish earlier than the rest and left them to it. The one thing that alcohol does very well is make fairly long, often average periods spent in pubs or clubs more fun in one way or another, you just don't get bored as quickly.

Although the low / zero beers are getting better, like decaf tea and coffee, they just aren't the same drink essentially taste-wise. This is probably the biggest issue for me, as I really don't like sugary drinks like coke, lime & soda or fruit juices, and there are only so many sparkling waters one can take. What is getting much better in most pubs is the availability of decent teas and coffees, and there's much less stigma about asking for one now. In the pub I was in just mentioned they actually seemed to be making an effort to be extra nice when I ordered them at the bar, which made it a more pleasant experience than the old strange or begrudging looks I've been used to.

Weststander

Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I thought Chiles was pretty open about his drinking something that an alcoholic tends to hide.

Having admitted to being an alcoholic myself and attending AA meetings counselling etc I now feel in a good place. However, despite 11-12 years largely of sobriety I always felt that to say I'd never drink again was a step too far. For my sins I'm more addicted to the boozer than the booze. So I still found myself wanting to be in pubs. As warned this naturally led to the odd drink and before you knew it back full on booze.

Where I'm at now is that I've weaned myself off the boozer. I'd joined wine and beer clubs and had the odd order delivered to my home. I've stopped with the wine order and will do the same with the beer order. I've recently bought a new fridge freezer and the fact I can now make ice and buy Diet Coke (other brands are available) I find that to be my new go to rather than open a bottle or can of beer.
I don't crave a drink at home and don't miss rhe boozer when I'm out. I keep a visit to a pub as a special occasion.

Great going, well done.

I know men and women who’ve destroyed themselves (and the collateral damage, to their kids too) through alcohol.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here