Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Pascal Gross mystery

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Based on nothing other than speculation and watching him, fail to reach a couple of balls that looked reachable, I wonder if he is carrying an injury? We had a spate of players with hernias a few years back including Murray, that ultimately needed surgery and they way he was moving yesterday, made me question this.

Certainly seems to be missing that extra 5-10% at the moment doesn’t he?

PoG

Oct 29, 2013
A shadow of last season's performance, and even before his injury he was playing pony. I'm hoping he can find his form soon.

Aren’t he and March the top chance creators for us?

Apols for chances I should have said assists, On chances, it's hardly surprising if he's the guy picked for most of the season at No 10 to feed the striker. March the other guy who deputised in that role? These stats don't tell you the quality of the work, which is what we are discussing when there are now others options for the role like Bissouma and Ali J

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
He's out of form. Show me a player who has never been out of form.

Should he be rested? probably. Should he face competition for his place? Absolutely.

Should we presume that last season was a fluke and give up on him? Absolutely not.

He's a Brighton player, he wears the shirt, he's earned the shirt, and the right to be out of form and still have our support.

How can we go from "Locadia isn't a footballer, but pascal Gross is an incredible player", to "Pascal Gross is p*ss poor, but that Locadia is a machine" in such a short space of time.

Surely that should tell us something. Whether you are in form should be a big factor in whether you play. But whether you wear the shirt should be the only factor in whether you get the support of the fans, through good form, and through bad.

I know not everyone is slating him, and not everyone slated Locadia, but a player isn't a good or bad player one week and the opposite the next. We seem to have forgotten that form is temporary, quality is permenant, and our support for our players should be with that in mind.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Wrighty giving team selection advice. :wrong: He should stick to giving advice on buying old houses and doing them up. :shrug:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
There should be a clear out this summer of Gross, Stephens, Murray and March as they’re not meeting the exacting standards of binary thinkers.

There again, a month ago it would’ve been Locadia, Stephens and Knockaert.

Or we can trust the judgement of CH and his support team.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Apols for chances I should have said assists, On chances, it's hardly surprising if he's the guy picked for most of the season at No 10 to feed the striker. March the other guy who deputised in that role? These stats don't tell you the quality of the work, which is what we are discussing when there are now others options for the role like Bissouma and Ali J

Fair enough, he doesn’t have many assists. But he’s still creating chances. Is it his fault they’re not being taken? And I understand suggesting Bissouma as an alternative but Ali J, based on performances so far?

And key passes do tell you the quality of work. Because they’re telling you how many chances someone is creating... and he’s creating more than anyone else for us...

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying he currently deserves his place as I think he’s out of form at the moment. But he’s still our main source of chance creation... even when off form.

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
Split responses on here would suggest he’s the new Barnes.

I like Gross and I liked Barnes too. They both have / had an excellent work rate and create chances for others.

Gross isn’t always going to be the right player for every game, but in my view he still is for lots of games.

It looks like Hughton is going to pick Gross for the big club games where he provides more composure. Bissouma will probably get more game time against the other clubs where his pace can do more damage.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
How can we go from "Locadia isn't a footballer, but pascal Gross is an incredible player", to "Pascal Gross is p*ss poor, but that Locadia is a machine" in such a short space of time.

What? Nobody said he's piss poor just he's it playing well and probably shouldn't be in the first 11 every week on form.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Has everyone forgotten he was injured earlier this season? Doesn't seem to have got back to form since his recovery (when March was playing in his position) Fingers crossed he'll be back to his previous levels soon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here