Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Positives from today?

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patreon
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Hit that from almost in front of where we sit.....

..what the f......actually....wow, what a ball.....FFS Pascal....

Outstanding delivery. There is a very intelligent footballer in there. Even in the ‘flamed by NSC’ days, he was showing enough good stuff. In particular his running off the ball is exceptional - and seems like the rest are starting to get on his wavelength. He’s going to prove to be a fantastic signing.

Just watched that a few times. That is one hell of a ball.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Great effort against a 12 man Liverpool side.

Big positive for me was that at last the penny seems to have dropped and it proved that defending high up the pitch and pressing against the better sides doesn't mean a spanking. Hopefully we can carry on with this tactic and mindset.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
I cancelled my original :thumbsup: so I could give it another one. :lol:
That pass is a thing of beauty though isn't it? Great stuff.

Another positive for me (apologies if fixtures, but didn't recall anyone else mention it) was that I didn't spot anyone with hand written signs asking for Liverpool player shirts - in fact, that whole trend generally seems to have died, but I did think that a club like LFC might have got the signs back up and running.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Mick Quinn on Talksport stated it looked like a 'PL team vs a Championship team'

....but then again, he's a Scouse ****.

It's so disrespectful some of the narrative we and other teams get, (see also Ian Wright on MOTD). There is so little appreciation, typically from the ex-footballing pundits about the way we went about Saturday's match. We keep, arguably the best attacking line-up in world football at bay for the majority of the game, without any real scares and somehow we are too negative, against a team that has conceded the fewest goals this season.. Eddie Howe was getting getting creamed over on Radio 5 commentary yesterday, and yet they are 1 point above us, having lost something like 7 of their last 9. Attacking a team with intent for short periods is completely irrelevant or naiive if you don't pick up the points. Whilst Liverpool were hardly hanging on, they were very glad to hear the whistle, as were their fans. The MOTD focus on Fabinho seemed crazy and at odds with the rest of the analysis - did we not create more problems because Fabinho was just so good, or because he was rarely threatened? He was arguably the 4th best central defender on the pitch? We were just short on a bit of quality at key moments : Proppers pass to Locadia over the top in the first half was one such moment..

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
That pass is a thing of beauty though isn't it? Great stuff.

Another positive for me (apologies if fixtures, but didn't recall anyone else mention it) was that I didn't spot anyone with hand written signs asking for Liverpool player shirts - in fact, that whole trend generally seems to have died, but I did think that a club like LFC might have got the signs back up and running.

Salah gave his training top to somebody as he left the field just inside the tunnel. Couldn’t see if there was a hand written note or if it was a child or an adult he gave it to though.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It's so disrespectful some of the narrative we and other teams get, (see also Ian Wright on MOTD). There is so little appreciation, typically from the ex-footballing pundits about the way we went about Saturday's match. We keep, arguably the best attacking line-up in world football at bay for the majority of the game, without any real scares and somehow we are too negative, against a team that has conceded the fewest goals this season.. Eddie Howe was getting getting creamed over on Radio 5 commentary yesterday, and yet they are 1 point above us, having lost something like 7 of their last 9. Attacking a team with intent for short periods is completely irrelevant or naiive if you don't pick up the points. Whilst Liverpool were hardly hanging on, they were very glad to hear the whistle, as were their fans. The MOTD focus on Fabinho seemed crazy and at odds with the rest of the analysis - did we not create more problems because Fabinho was just so good, or because he was rarely threatened? He was arguably the 4th best central defender on the pitch? We were just short on a bit of quality at key moments : Proppers pass to Locadia over the top in the first half was one such moment..

Spot on. His co-presenter (think it was Jason Cundy) told him he was being disrespectful to be fair (after an Albion fan rang in and had a go at him).

I thought we were excellent on Saturday - restricting that forward lineup to no shots on goal in the first half was immense. If we’d nicked a point though they’d still be talking about Liverpool’s failure to break us down rather than how well-drilled CH had the team. I love watching a decent defensive performance almost as much as attacking flair. Tactically on Saturday in that respect we were almost faultless.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

I was looking at the comments on BBC sport on the Albion/Liverpool page and there were a number of people on there suggesting that it was ridiculous to give plaudits to any club that “parked the bus” as it was the easiest thing in the world to stop teams scoring by doing that. So it’s not only pundits (who really should know better) but fans of big clubs, absolutely no comprehension of tactics and the reasons for them :shrug:

We were exceptional in the way we set up and played defensively on Saturday. Liverpool were getting very frustrated and looked like they had run out of ideas before they got the penalty.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Spot on. His co-presenter (think it was Jason Cundy) told him he was being disrespectful to be fair (after an Albion fan rang in and had a go at him).

I thought we were excellent on Saturday - restricting that forward lineup to no shots on goal in the first half was immense. If we’d nicked a point though they’d still be talking about Liverpool’s failure to break us down rather than how well-drilled CH had the team. I love watching a decent defensive performance almost as much as attacking flair. Tactically on Saturday in that respect we were almost faultless.

We're concentrating on the Albion having no shots on target, while Liverpool had only:-

3 (THREE)

When was the last time that happened, in the league, they had 5 v City.

kjgood

Sorry I dont quite understand this or am I being a bit dull. Are you saying that secretly LD has already signed for Liverpool but they loaned him back to us and no-one knew? or am i missing a tongue in cheek comment? If he had already signed for Liverpool he would have had a mystery injury on Saturday as you cannot play against your parent club.

A quick NSC fact check with people in the know and who know his family will show Lewis joined Liverpool at the beginning of this season.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

Parking the bus seems an odd analysis, considering we were pressing high and often. It's almost as if he they didn't watch the game.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Parking the bus seems an odd analysis, considering we were pressing high and often. It's almost as if he they didn't watch the game.

My friend was working during the match and just heard a bit of analysis of it on the radio afterwards. He was saying they'd said Hughton was really negative and we'd been 100% defensive. I was thinking that sounds like a totally different match to the one I watched!

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013

Was having this discussion with a friend who I used to go to away matches with but now denies all knowkedge of supporting the Albion now that Liverpool are in with a shout of winning something again.

Apparently we were rubbish because we didn't have a shot on target and only 30% posseion and Liverpool were just having an off day only having 3 on target.

Somehow he knew this while being at work during the match and not actually seeing it so I think his whole argument may have been formed by looking at the BBC stats page.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here