Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Not giving the ball back to the opposition....

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Really hope it continues despite dicks like Liverpool's Robertson having a go at Knocky over it.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It's really bizarre this idea that suddenly the players should become the referee. Why would they? They're a bit busy worrying about being in position, anticipating the ball etc.

What logic is there to it being their responsibility rather than the referee's?

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
It's really bizarre this idea that suddenly the players should become the referee. Why would they? They're a bit busy worrying about being in position, anticipating the ball etc.

What logic is there to it being their responsibility rather than the referee's?

"Play to the Whistle" was the mantra when I played at school. If the Ref doesn't blow, you play on. If he does, you stop. Simple as. Don't waste a chance getting distracted second guessing what you should do... let the Ref decide.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Deffo.
I fookin love it.

For those of you who call the East stand 'The Library', well the language Mr Robertson screamed at us was most definitely not acceptable in a house of learning. :lol:

His explosion was absolutely brilliant, completely lost it, toys out of the pram, wild gesticulating, gave me a right chuckle.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
The ref stops the game not the players. There was nothing wrong with VVD, absolutely no way should we giving the ball back, I absolutely HATE it. I would also not expect an opponent to give it back to us in similar circumstances.

I thought it was a testament to how well we played that their players would get needled by stuff like this and felt they had to resort to time-wasting.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Damned right, the ref now have the power to stop the game where he feels a player is in genuine need of treatment, if he doesn't think so it is not up to the players to make the call for him. Similar thing happened in the Tottenham United game yesterday where someone was down having come back on following treatment at the time when United were attacking, presumably gamesmanship to try and get the ref to bring the play back.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
perhaps we've started a thing, I noticed in the spurs-utd game and on one of the others on tv that play continued while someone was nearly dying on the pitch. The commentator said that to play on was correct as not head injury and ref hadn't blown whistle. . In both cases as soon as it was apparent that play was going on the nearly dead player made a miraculous recovery .

I agree........................brilliant when the player is faking...................I'm sure his (sexual) partner knew immediately.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
The referee - and ONLY the referee - decides whether a player is seriously injured to warrant the game being stopped.

If the ref makes the wrong call, that is down to him. If the ref doesn't stop the game when an opposition player goes down then we should ALWAYS play on.

There was a time that when a player went down and stayed down you could be pretty sure that they were badly hurt. Now there are just too many primadonnas throwing themselves to the ground at every opportunity (I'm looking at you Mr Tumble) trying to cheat their way to a win.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Premier League reality started at Old Trafford season one. We had an injured player, genuine, but Man U refused to put the ball out. In the end we did but at the restart Man U kept the ball.
From then on I realised life was different in the Prem.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
In the NFL it's play till after the whistle and the ball has been recovered from the ground in case possession is disputed. It might have cost the Bears a touchdown.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Premier League reality started at Old Trafford season one. We had an injured player, genuine, but Man U refused to put the ball out. In the end we did but at the restart Man U kept the ball.
From then on I realised life was different in the Prem.

Why didn't the ref stop the game? 100% of the blame is with the referee there. It is his job to ensure the safety of the players, not the players.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Was Jordan Henderson having a serious pop at VVD? Certainly looked like it from the North.

I think he shouting at him to "Go Down" . Interestingly, I didn't think the 'keepr threw the ball out, rather Firminho decided to let it go out - given that, I too agree that we should have played on - if 'keeper was keen to put it out, he should have kicked it out, leaving no doubt.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I think he shouting at him to "Go Down" . Interestingly, I didn't think the 'keepr threw the ball out, rather Firminho decided to let it go out - given that, I too agree that we should have played on - if 'keeper was keen to put it out, he should have kicked it out, leaving no doubt.

Yes the keeper kick/throw it towards the touchline and their player let it go out but I felt the intention was that the keeper was putting the ball out to touch.

I'm actually surprise the incident wasn't shown on MOTD or the extended Sky highlight as I expected the former pro's to throw their arms up and cry that its not a fair tactic against the top 6 teams.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
It won't be long before teams that want to time waste and get play stopped when under pressure will ensure that one of their players falls to the ground holding their head to feign a head injury. We could also see a repeat of the rugby bloodgate scandal.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
It won't be long before teams that want to time waste and get play stopped when under pressure will ensure that one of their players falls to the ground holding their head to feign a head injury. We could also see a repeat of the rugby bloodgate scandal.

It happens now, I can't remember which game it was but, away somewhere, but we were attacking near the end of the game and the ball was cleared and we were about to launch another attack but one of their defenders collapsed to the floor with a pretend head injury so the ref stopped the game.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
My take on it is that I have no problem if a player seeing a fellow pro badly injured kicks the ball out for treatment to be given. I'm all for sportsmanship. However, there are 'rules'. If it's your team mate, kick it out yourself. If you don't, don't whinge when the opposition play on. Also, it needs to be a serious injury and I think most pros can tell. If a player is just tired, tough. If they're by the touchline then the should walk off rather than collapse on the pitch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here