Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Bizarre visiting supporter today

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Ok, so withn10 minutes gone, behind us is a single seat that hasn't been taken.

An oriental ,young man wanders up the steps with a printout of his ticket searching for his seat

It is this seat.

He goes and stands in the spot and takes his phone out.

He takes lots of photos( you could hear it clicking away) and then mumbles away into his phone.

He then spends 15 minutes, looking at his phone ( as we are abusing that ******* friend) and then shuffles off.

Totally bizzare! We couldn't work out if he was just there to watch Liverpool? hadn't the foggiest what was going on? Assumed he was in the away end?

we all assumed he just wanted to be there and was confused with the whole experience.....
God what a day you’ve had..

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
There are always football tourists at Amex games, possibly on holiday in the UK and sampling a PL match. Groups of new faces take seats in WSL nearest the NS, snapping a load of pics on flash looking cameras, whilst chatting away and not into the game that much.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
For a man with my education correct use of language is not a choice.

I don't see the relevance of that, how you use language is always a choice.

I am interested to hear why you think all the dictionary definitions of 'oriental' are wrong though, when this alleged mistake happened, and why it has been perpetuated.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
It’s not correct.

I think Ilsam, Lucy, Johan and Joy Park might have to politely agree to disagree with you here.

But what do they know, eh? They're only from the Orient. :smile:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
General avoidance more like. I am actually interested, so if you could point me in the direction of some reference material supporting your position that'd be much appreciated.

Most articles have it wrong online. I will have a look and let you know.
I was taught it at school. I imagine most of the Masters are long gone I’m afraid but rest assured they were well travelled, vastly experienced men who knew what was what.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
General avoidance more like. I am actually interested, so if you could point me in the direction of some reference material supporting your position that'd be much appreciated.

Oxford English Dictionary says it refers to regions, objects, art etc and cites referring to people as Orinetal as offensive and outdated.

The Oxford English Dictionary. Good enough for me.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/oriental

I think we’ll call that the last word on the matter.

Good day.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Just a final sparkler after the fireworks... I was born and raised for the first 18 years of my life in Bradford (we all have our crosses and all that).

In Bradford - Pakistanis, Indians, Bangladeshi's and so on all actually classed themselves as 'Asians'. It was a term they gave themselves - not one put upon them. Why would this be?

For the record, I've never in my life heard someone called 'East Asian' - but then again I'm a bit dim.

*sits back and awaits enlightenment, QI style.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
Oxford English Dictionary says it refers to regions, objects, art etc and cites referring to people as Orinetal as offensive and outdated.

The Oxford English Dictionary. Good enough for me.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/oriental

I think we’ll call that the last word on the matter.

Good day.

I was hoping for historical evidence as to why 'oriental' shouldn't have been listed as a noun rather than being presented with another dictionary definition where it is listed as a noun. The mistake continues to be perpetuated apparently.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I was hoping for historical evidence as to why 'oriental' shouldn't have been listed as a noun rather than another dictionary definition where it is listed as a noun. The mistake continues to be perpetuated apparently.

You’re looking a bit bitter now. You asked, I produced. Don’t get all henhouse on me now, CO.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
You’re looking a bit bitter now. You asked, I produced. Don’t get all henhouse on me now, CO.

Okay, I'll leave it there as you seem to be getting the wrong impression. If you can't answer the question I asked, that is fine, I won't ask again.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Okay, I'll leave it there as you seem to be getting the wrong impression. If you can't answer the question I asked, that is fine, I won't ask again.

I answered your question. Fully. Just because the answer proved you wrong there is no need to be a sore loser. Feel free to ask as many times as you like, the answer will always be the same and you will always be wrong. I’m sorry.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here