Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Bizarre visiting supporter today

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
East Asian (Asian describes a person, oriental describes a thing) people sometimes just turn up to events or go to museums etc, take a series of photos for social media and then leave without actually watching or looking at anything.
It’s the world we live in I’m afraid.

I am interested to hear why you think all the dictionary definitions of 'oriental' are wrong though, when this alleged mistake happened, and why it has been perpetuated.

Oxford English Dictionary says it refers to regions, objects, art etc and cites referring to people as Orinetal as offensive and outdated.

The Oxford English Dictionary. Good enough for me.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/oriental

I think we’ll call that the last word on the matter.

Good day.

I answered your question. Fully. Just because the answer proved you wrong there is no need to be a sore loser. Feel free to ask as many times as you like, the answer will always be the same and you will always be wrong. I’m sorry.

You absolutely did not answer my question.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
You absolutely did not answer my question.

I do apologise. I didn’t see that question.
I don’t know why calling a person “oriental” is wrong. For the same reason I’m not sure why calling a housebrick a Cup a Soup is wrong, it just is.
Why has it been perpetuated? I dunno. Because the majority of people are idiots?
When was this mistake made? Not a clue but the important thing is I have put you right.

Not sure why people are getting so enervated about being corrected.
Anyway, I’m done here. Up to you what you choose to believe.
TBTC

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
The first two links on google say it's offensive.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/oriental

"noun
offensive

A person of East Asian descent."

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make, the first two dictionaries I picked up in my house had the same definition without the offensive prefix.

I assume the second Google link was Collins? That has two definitions, the American one does indeed say offensive, but the English one as already noted in this thread does not.

The point I have consistently made is that according to dictionary definition the term can be used to refer to a person from East Asia.

It is clear that there is a now a great deal of debate about whether the term is offensive or not, but I haven't drawn my own conclusions on that matter. As I've previously stated this thread is the first time it has come to my attention that it might be.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Ok, so withn10 minutes gone, behind us is a single seat that hasn't been taken.

An oriental ,young man wanders up the steps with a printout of his ticket searching for his seat

It is this seat.

He goes and stands in the spot and takes his phone out.

He takes lots of photos( you could hear it clicking away) and then mumbles away into his phone.

He then spends 15 minutes, looking at his phone ( as we are abusing that ******* friend) and then shuffles off.

Totally bizzare! We couldn't work out if he was just there to watch Liverpool? hadn't the foggiest what was going on? Assumed he was in the away end?

we all assumed he just wanted to be there and was confused with the whole experience.....

Perhaps he thought Anfield wasn’t as big as he’d previously heard and went home disappointed?

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I'm not sure what point you are trying to make, the first two dictionaries I picked up in my house had the same definition without the offensive prefix.

I assume the second Google link was Collins? That has two definitions, the American one does indeed say offensive, but the English one as already noted in this thread does not.

The point I have consistently made is that according to dictionary definition the term can be used to refer to a person from East Asia.

It is clear that there is a now a great deal of debate about whether the term is offensive or not, but I haven't drawn my own conclusions on that matter. As I've previously stated this thread is the first time it has come to my attention that it might be.

In the stirring light of day I have reflected and your point above is a good one. I was taught at an early age it was an incorrect use of the word and I’ve never really questioned it since. Similarly, I’ve never really heard anyone refer to people as Orientals so I’ve had no cause to question my early teaching.
But as you rightly say but from a different side of the debate, I had no idea there was controversy over the matter.
In short, I apologise for my unwillingness to be moved on the matter and absolutely concede that there are different views on the subject.
TBTC

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I can’t wait until we are back in League 2 and then we won’t have to suffer all the tourists that comes from the increased exposure of being in a league that is watched around the world.

Roll on Yeovil!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Saw one guy in the North wandering around trying to find his seat... by showing 'his' ST card to a steward :facepalm:

That is one of my favourites: ST in hand but not sure where the seat is! Loads around me yesterday too.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Saw one guy in the North wandering around trying to find his seat... by showing 'his' ST card to a steward :facepalm:

That is one of my favourites: ST in hand but not sure where the seat is! Loads around me yesterday too.

Sshh, the club will be taking stills of us in our seats at every home game, and then summoning the sth to a disciplinary, if a relative or friend, suddenly appears at one match.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
In the stirring light of day I have reflected and your point above is a good one. I was taught at an early age it was an incorrect use of the word and I’ve never really questioned it since. Similarly, I’ve never really heard anyone refer to people as Orientals so I’ve had no cause to question my early teaching.
But as you rightly say but from a different side of the debate, I had no idea there was controversy over the matter.
In short, I apologise for my unwillingness to be moved on the matter and absolutely concede that there are different views on the subject.
TBTC

Thank you for that considered response.

I'm still mulling over the offensive aspect, though that is a more general philosophical question. Is a word offensive if the person who uses it doesn't know it has offensive connotations and doesn't use it to offend, if the other person in the conversation does find it offensive but knows their companion isn't using it to offend?

A debate for another thread I think.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
image.jpeg

:lolol:
What was this thread about again?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You said that it mainly seemed to be a North American definition that classed it as offensive. The first definitions I found said it was offensive, and that included the Oxford dictionaries, which I assume is English still. So my point is that the results of an online search were against what you said.

I assume the second Google link was Collins?
I counted the second as the Oxford dictionaries, with the first being the google dictionary above that.

I've now read the Collins definition too, and that says:
"Some people refer to people from eastern Asia, especially China or Japan as Orientals. This use could cause offence"

That's not under American or British, that's at the top pf the page. And then under British it says:
"4. (sometimes not capital) offensive
an inhabitant, esp a native, of the Orient"

Seems quite clear that it can be offensive.

Welcome to the 21st century.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
And then under British it says:
"4. (sometimes not capital) offensive
an inhabitant, esp a native, of the Orient"

Seems quite clear that it can be offensive.

I've re-checked the Collins link and you are quite right in that case, I'll put me missing that down to the slightly wonky vision I still have after having had an emergency eye operation on New Year's Eve.

I've already agreed that there is a debate about whether the term is offensive so I don't propose saying any more on the subject.

I think it is also about time I bought another dictionary to add to the ones I have at home. It is certainly interesting how the meanings and usage of words change over the course of time.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
I didn't need to read anything from page 1 onwards to guess people would be getting butthurt over the word "Oriental"

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Just to clarify, I don’t find the word offensive and I doubt many do. Some might consider it mildly rude as I’ve always been taught it refers to an object / food etc and not people. I always thought it was just an incorrect use of the word. I’m coming atvit from a language perspective, not an offence issue.
Who knows? Some days even I don’t agree with me.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here