Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Owen jones añd andrew neil last night

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It’s pretty clear Jones is a decent, intelligent guy with interesting thoughts and views. But what I also like is how he bugs Tories....as is evident from certain posts in this thread.

With 40 likes of [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]’s damning post ... are there really 40 Tories on this thread? Tories included no doubt, but he doesn’t win new friends in general with his poor debating skills.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
With 40 likes of [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]’s damning post ... are there really 40 Tories on this thread? Tories included no doubt, but he doesn’t win new friends in general with his poor debating skills.

I reckon there’s easily 40. I doubt they all reveal themselves as Tories though; many, for obvious reasons, are shy.

Flex Your Head

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Good read this: "the strange case of Andrew Neil, the ultra-Thatcherite former Sunday Times editor who is the BBC’s flagship political presenter..."
Jones is right, a hard left political presenter would not be tolerated at the BBC.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/apr/11/bbc-andrew-neil-media-politics

The accusation against the BBC has always been that it’s presenters and editors are in the main centre and left leaning. They certainly have always reported to death all Tory problems and I doubt there’s a Brexiteer in their number.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The accusation against the BBC has always been that it’s presenters and editors are in the main centre and left leaning. They certainly have always reported to death all Tory problems and I doubt there’s a Brexiteer in their number.

I'm sure I've read, on here and otherwise, that the BBC is right-biased.

I fully suspect it's the same as NSC. I'm told both it's too right-wing and too left-wing. People see, hear and read what they want to, and it's generally an injustice that "the other side" is prevalent.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann

He's not that bad, old Bozza.

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
The funny thing is that many of the attacks on Jones seem to be based around his youthful appearance, and come mainly from much older people, keen on reiterating the manifestly ludicrous concept that radical Leftism is a by product of impetuous youth, and that as people get older they become more 'mature' and 'sensible' (i.e. vote Tory and like Coldplay)
This is not true. :)

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
- Bluster
- Pre-Leveson obsequiousness towards Murdoch - libelling the public
- Hypocrisy over impartiality; he accuses the BBC of lacking impartiality yet is easily the most egregious example of it. Yet he still turns up.
- Climate Change insanity
- The mad cat woman thing. She was telling the truth.
- The Spectator. It has a couple of excellent contributors and a whole morass of racist scumbags.

This would appear to be the view of somebody who leans to the left politically. Quite a lot of people seem to think he's pretty decent.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The funny thing is that many of the attacks on Jones seem to be based around his youthful appearance, and come mainly from much older people, keen on reiterating the manifestly ludicrous concept that radical Leftism is a by product of impetuous youth, and that as people get older they become more 'mature' and 'sensible' (i.e. vote Tory and like Coldplay)

Just in case you're including me in that, I wasn't attacking Jones on his youthful appearance, just on him being a prick.

He does look young though - I'd love to see the contents of his bathroom cabinet.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia

Can't see me ever liking Coldplay but who knows what the future may bring .

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

Getting older and maturity are not inclusive. There's no fool like an old fool.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
The BBC is right wing biased ....:laugh:

Thanks who ever posted that, it'll keep me chuckling all day.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
This would appear to be the view of somebody who leans to the left politically. Quite a lot of people seem to think he's pretty decent.
None of the things I've listed are contingent on any political leaning.

Of course lots of people like him. That has zero bearing on anything.

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Owen Jones is clever but not wise. He ought to realise that he comes across as everything that many people who might otherwise vote Labour despise - mouthy, full of himself and utterly convinced that his is the only true path.

That said, I thought (as did Portillo) that he was very brave in standing up to those EDL t*ss*rs who followed him down the street the other day.

Completely agree, he is the physical and intellectual manifestation of why Labour have lost touch with the working class, and particularly the white working class. He was previously viciously anti Corbyn niw he is his staunchest defender, his lack of political integrity (regardless of the justification behind many of his points) is risible. He is like a political Richard Dawkins, he’s simply a negative of the very image he despises.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
I kinda agree with that. Maybe it's because I'm at completely the other end of the spectrum, but I worry about people who have so much hatred, anger and venom towards one particular party, group or point of view. Brexit – maybe understandably – is everywhere you look, which is fine because it's a huge deal – or no deal :lol: – for the country. But the way some people carry themselves when engaging in debate about it goes way beyond being 'passionate' about it. It's either points scoring for their side, personal attacks on opponents, which often makes them blinkered to taking on any other point of view, or looking at the situation from the other person's perspective. I look at some people's social media profiles and they are FILLED with shared posts about, let's be honest, hatred or belittling of another person or group's point of view. It's appalling behaviour, really and I can't see any time in the future that it's going to get better.

And that's just one example. Football fans are horrible to each other, people lose their shite about vegan sausage rolls and online newspaper comments sections have people foaming at the mouth about fictional characters in TV programmes! All of these reactions are often made without finding out the full story or the reasons behind the story – people just jump on the bandwagon and follow the popular narrative. I think, sadly, a lot of it is done in the name of entertainment and attention-seeking. Trumpo and Piers Moron are two good examples of that, but those two last night (from the clip I saw on Twatter) and many other MPs are becoming just as bad. Part of the reason the country is in this mess – and it IS a mess, whichever way you look at it – is because people forgot how to communicate and take a step back from the hole they are in and look at the situation.

A lot I agree with, however I think there is a juxtaposition with social media “accelerating” political and social division and merely “exposing” it.

I think more people know their own mind than not, and not every comment or action connected to social media is committed by individuals blindly following narratives they don’t know anything about. Sure there may be some but I think these are overplayed. Those that bang on about the worries that social media has, in my view are angling for some kind of censorship, and that’s a far more worrying position.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
The Spectator is turning into a horrible, irresponsible cesspit full of posh fascists.
Owen Jones is brave, articulate, politically absolutely spot on and sometimes a bit annoying.

I have never purchased the Spectator but note it’s readership is less than 80,000, and let’s be honest its political narrative and it’s contributors mean as a publication it’s a long way from Der Sturmer.

This exaggeration of reality by the likes of OJ is why political discourse and trust is breaking down. In truth there was is no rise of the far right or fascism in the U.K. today, there is just an increase in volume of voices that don’t follow the establishments political tropes. Much of what OJ states in Chavs he is guilty of, he is the classic privileged leftie stereotype that thinks he can talk for the working class, but he doesn’t.

If OJ or anyone else think that there are UK political parties in positions of power which are aligned with the likes of Jobbik (Hungary) Golden Dawn (Greece) Lega Nord (Italy) Swedish Democrats, National Front (France), Freedom Party (Austria) along with the myriad of other authoritarian supporting parties coming from political left and right wings in Europe they are again just exaggerating reality.

He (and others) need to stop doing that.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here