Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] A question about Hereford

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Anyone who ever moans about us not being more attacking needs to think that we could have been like Hereford. I only say this because on Saturday Hereford host the non league team I follow - brackley town. Brackley are favourites. Brackley average attendance is about 500.

I get your drift but we would have returned a lot quicker than Hereford and not gone back out again as they did. They are a smaller club and that's said with my Cousin Billy Meadows, playing for them in the cup upset against Newcastle in the 70's.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Bought tickets in the home end and just before kick off they allowed quite a few of us to transfer to the away end. The atmosphere was pretty hostile in the home stands and the stewards obviously made a good decision on the day. Hate to think of the reaction us Albion fans would have got in the home stands when we equalised as it would have been impossible to just stay quiet!

I didn't know that - (would've Loved to have moved with you.) I stayed in the home end, though 'side' would be more accurate; there were a lot of kids around me I remember, hence probably why I didn't get duffed up.

I recall having to get the tickets sent to a friend in Manchester, as they were (rightly) not posting their home tickets south.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I get your drift but we would have returned a lot quicker than Hereford and not gone back out again as they did. They are a smaller club and that's said with my Cousin Billy Meadows, playing for them in the cup upset against Newcastle in the 70's.

Do you think we would have returned quicker? I wonder if being non league would have pushed us over the edge and out of business, we were certainly close at times. I think it would be fair to say that winning at Hereford didn't just keep us in the football league, it was probably what kept the club going.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
As others have posted, Hereford weren't bothered about the game until just before it. When I rang up some weeks beforehand to ask for a ticket, they just said 'Brighton end?'. I said yes, then added something along the lines of 'not selling any home tickets then, it could be your last game in the league' - to which he just laughed.....

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Seriously a mate who lived in Brighton ,but doesn't follow Brighton managed to get 6 tickets for the away end and got us all in .

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Do you think we would have returned quicker? I wonder if being non league would have pushed us over the edge and out of business, we were certainly close at times. I think it would be fair to say that winning at Hereford didn't just keep us in the football league, it was probably what kept the club going.

I agree. I'm not so sure how or even if we might have survived relegation out of the league.

Oh, and *pedant alert* - we didn't win at Hereford :lolol:

Last edited:

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
I agree. I'm not so sure how or even if we might have survived relegation out of the league.

Oh, and *pedant alert* - we didn't win at Hereford :lolol:

I'm not convinced about this. We were a far bigger club than then. I think we'd have been fine, I'd even go so far as to say we would be in the same situation that we are currently. The difference being that the first few years after 1997 would have been a lot worse, and I doubt we'd have had the going up and down to the Championship a couple of times seasons around 2005 - 2010.

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
I'm not convinced about this. We were a far bigger club than then. I think we'd have been fine, I'd even go so far as to say we would be in the same situation that we are currently. The difference being that the first few years after 1997 would have been a lot worse, and I doubt we'd have had the going up and down to the Championship a couple of times seasons around 2005 - 2010.

I also wasn't there, but I did go to the cup game a few months later.

D

Deleted member 2719

My adrenalin is pumping just reading this thread.

20+ years ago and that moment at the full-time whistle will live with me forever, I am not sure that even winning the Premier league could match it.:albion2::albion2::albion2:

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I was there. Had a seat but went in behind the goal. I was on a coach that was booked for ahem architects visiting Leadbury just up the road. We arrived at Hove Town hall with several crates of beer to be told that they had seen through our little ruse and we couldn't take the alchol onboard. We left approx 20 crates on the pavement and just drove off. Someone's lucky day :lolol:

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
In contrast to the majority of posts on this thread i'd just like to make the point that i was not there.

Me neither.

I just sat in the back garden cross legged on the grass staring at the radio whilst listening to the commentary. I think I was supposed to be trimming the hedge.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia

As the conference would not allow us to join while ground sharing it is likely we would have had to enter the pyramid at a lower level if the club managed to survive without folding .

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I was there. The emotions when their guy went through at the end, even now, I have a mini heartattack until the ball is safely in Ormerod's arms. That missed punch as well. Some of his kicking wasn't good either, I'm sure that they had a very good chance as a result of a dodgy kick. But alls well that ends well. Amazing afternoon but the most tense match I hope I'll ever know.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
As the conference would not allow us to join while ground sharing it is likely we would have had to enter the pyramid at a lower level if the club managed to survive without folding .

I thought we would join the Conference but be unable to be promoted back whilst ground sharing. Withdean would have been suitable. I have no idea if that is true or not.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here