Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] A question about Hereford

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
How come we had so much support in the ground that day? It clearly made a difference, so why did we have so many tickets? Was it on police advice or did they just want to make some money?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
How come we had so much support in the ground that day? It clearly made a difference, so why did we have so many tickets? Was it on police advice or did they just want to make some money?

Probably the latter.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
So far I've heard from around 35,000 of the few thousand that were actually there!

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
From my memory that was the standard away end which they gave to all visiting teams and they never sold-out the home area anyway.

Also I believe that tickets went on sale very early for this game and at that time no one had any idea just how important that fixture was to become. Our lot were originally going to go in fancy-dress for the last day of the season beano...When we realised it was going to be a relegation shoot-out we ditched the idea, as it would have been bloody stupid walking around like Dennis The Menace and Fred Flintstone had we just been dumped into the Conference.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Westminster BHA

Stainsey

Mar 25, 2009
I think from memory, the ticket allocation was decided some weeks before the end of the season, and at that point in time, Hereford didn't think they would be in any danger. So, as the previous poster says, they thought it would be a good money maker for them, and allowed the Albion a very large allocation. Thank goodness they did, because I am sure our level of support gave the team inspiration.

The Optimist

NSC Patreon
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
From my memory that was the standard away end which they gave to all visiting teams and they never sold-out the home area anyway.

I think the standing behind the goal was normally split down the middle but we got all of it that day. The reason I remember is that I was in the Hereford end in an area that shared toilets with the Brighton end. So I went to the toilet and walked into the Brighton end. Having been in the Hereford end for the opening goal I was very happy I realised this trick before we scored!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Bought tickets in the home end and just before kick off they allowed quite a few of us to transfer to the away end. The atmosphere was pretty hostile in the home stands and the stewards obviously made a good decision on the day. Hate to think of the reaction us Albion fans would have got in the home stands when we equalised as it would have been impossible to just stay quiet!

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Ordered my tickets by post and they didn’t turn up!
I rang the club and was asked to meet someone outside, can’t remember who it was as I was well oiled by kickoff, but was walked round the outside of the pitch to the stand we had on the side. Was shown to my seat in the top of the stand and someone was in our seats but nothing was said, just glad to be there, we all crammed in one row without a seat.
Definitely more people in that stand than seats available.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I bought my ticket directly from Hereford in the top tier of the two-tiered stand along one touchline. It was a 'home supporters' area but it was obvious that there were plenty of other Albion in there. No bother from anyone at the final whistle; they just looked shell-shocked, shook hands and wished us the best of luck. Then I moved along toward the Albion end and the police let me down and through to join in the post-match celebrations.

aberllefenni

Jan 15, 2009
I was told by the people at the ticket office at Hererford on the day that we had been allocated 3500 out of a ground capacity of, I think, 8000. They had received 27 000 requests for tickets from Brighton fans.

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
I got my ticket direct from the Hereford ticket office several weeks before the game. The guy was amazed how many tickets he was posting to addresses in Sussex. At that stage Hereford looked easily safe and were getting small crowds so selling loads of tickets to away fans to allow us to attend what looked like being our last ever league game seemed a good idea to them at the time.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
My brother in law lived in Hereford and he just rang Hereford up and asked for 5 tickets in the Brighton end and the club sent them to him.
How times have changed !!

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Definitely remember getting my ticket direct from Hereford a couple of weeks before. Can't remember if that was standard practice back then as most games were POTG but don't remember getting an away ticket direct from the home club for any other game.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Bought our tickets well in advance, The side stand (the Len Weston stand(??) IIRC, )bought direct from HUFC as we were planning a weekend away.

The person I spoke to when ordering the tickets said that he hoped we’d be out of our predicament and at the time Hereford looked pretty safe.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Anyone who ever moans about us not being more attacking needs to think that we could have been like Hereford. I only say this because on Saturday Hereford host the non league team I follow - brackley town. Brackley are favourites. Brackley average attendance is about 500.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
I phoned them well in advance and asked if I could have six tickets. The bloke I spoke to said 'You can have as many as you want - the match isn't going to mean anything to us'.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Part of that stand along the side was allocated to our fans, I think because it was seats. I had a ticket for that area but they let me through the turnstile behind the goal anyway :lolol:

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I along with thousands of others were unable to get tickets so a good number of us went along to the Goldstone in Hove park where a radio was set up on the very stone and we listened and eventually deliberated in style

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Bought tickets in the home end and just before kick off they allowed quite a few of us to transfer to the away end. The atmosphere was pretty hostile in the home stands and the stewards obviously made a good decision on the day. Hate to think of the reaction us Albion fans would have got in the home stands when we equalised as it would have been impossible to just stay quiet!
I was in the home end with my brother, yes it was difficult but we kept our mouths shut, we’d been up to the ground a couple of weeks before the game to pick the tickets up (about 20 miles away from where we live). Had to wait until the car before cheering!

That said, I think there might have been quite a few of us Brighton fans up there.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
I along with thousands of others were unable to get tickets so a good number of us went along to the Goldstone in Hove park where a radio was set up on the very stone and we listened and eventually deliberated in style

How terribly Waitrose/ Hove of you!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here