Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alexis Mac Allister - *** New Contract Until 2025 ***

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Thanks for the link AZ, So basically they got lucky with an appeals panel after being turned down twice? .

No. Richarlison was granted a work permit on first application to the exceptions panel. This would have been due to a combination of factors: Playing in one of the world’s top ranked league; playing in continental competition; large transfer fee and, presumably, large wages to go with it.

This article gives a good description of how they come to a decision. Mac Allister will get credit for playing in the Argie first tier but I’m not sure his transfer fee or wages would be >50th centile in the Premier League.

https://www.reevaldo.com/story/2016/9/15/football-work-permit-premier-league-fa-foreign-players

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
In just 28 days we find out if he is on the plane to Austria with the squad.

If he kicks a ball when out there then we know the passport / permit issues are resolved.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I'd love to know what the 'strategy' with these signings has been. Both this one and Tau seem odd, when there appears to be no clear way to get them permission to play in the UK? I hope there is not some 'darker' reason

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I'd love to know what the 'strategy' with these signings has been. Both this one and Tau seem odd, when there appears to be no clear way to get them permission to play in the UK? I hope there is not some 'darker' reason
We just don't know though.

If Alexis kicks a ball at our training camp in Austria - in 3.5 weeks time - then we know his alleged passport / permit issues are resolved.

Not long to wait to find out.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Whenever it happens I doubt either player will leave the Albion for less than was paid.

There's your strategy.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Whenever it happens I doubt either player will leave the Albion for less than was paid.

There's your strategy.

You think ? You’d pay more for a player that was ‘stuck’ ?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

They aren't stuck, they are playing and playing well.
Raising their value all the time.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield

They're only stuck from a UK / Premier League perspective. Tau is still playing in Europe (and having made a name for himself at the level he was at last season, will probably be much easier to loan to a higher level league for next season if necessary, which will then - if he's as good as hoped - both increase his value and help with any permit issues), and similar story for MacAllister - plenty of places he can still play at, as long as someone is willing to take him on loan he'll play and we can hope that he does well and increases in value.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
They're only stuck from a UK / Premier League perspective. Tau is still playing in Europe (and having made a name for himself at the level he was at last season, will probably be much easier to loan to a higher level league for next season if necessary, which will then - if he's as good as hoped - both increase his value and help with any permit issues), and similar story for MacAllister - plenty of places he can still play at, as long as someone is willing to take him on loan he'll play and we can hope that he does well and increases in value.

Assuming the ultimate goal is to increase value and sell on, even if they get it right and make a bit of money on both players it's a very risky strategy and ethically questionable (ethically wrong IMHO but that's open to debate)

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Assuming the ultimate goal is to increase value and sell on, even if they get it right and make a bit of money on both players it's a very risky strategy and ethically questionable (ethically wrong IMHO but that's open to debate)

As long as it's done above board, I see nothing ethically wrong with it. Any team with a decent Academy system is essentially trying to churn out players that they can make a profit on, given so few of them actually make the 1st team squad for the club they grow up with.

But yes - it's a risky proposition to buy on the hope that you can sell on at profit having never seen them play for the club. To be honest, though, I don't think that's the Plan A. It's the back-up Plan B. Plan A is getting the permits sorted and bringing them into the Prem. In Tau's case, I would hope to see him loaned to a top-tier league club next season where he can hopefully show enough that we can get an exception through.

Not sure where we stand with MacAllister, but from some posts I've seen it's possible we might already have an answer to the permit issue. Just waiting to see if that gets confirmed.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton

I agree with you and also the money being spent on transfer and agents fees plus their wages should in my view have been used to strengthening the front squad. I don't mean buying more players we should buy better qualitiy

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
So we're going to become a Chelsea, amass a load of youth players to go out on loan with no intention of playing for the first team, in the hope we might make some money?

It will say a lot for our academy if we end up making more for Youth Players that have never been to Lancing, than those that do

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
So we're going to become a Chelsea, amass a load of youth players to go out on loan with no intention of playing for the first team, in the hope we might make some money?

It will say a lot for our academy if we end up making more for Youth Players that have never been to Lancing, than those that do

I just don't think this is our strategy, which makes the Percy signing a ****-up, and the Alexis one, at best, questionable...

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I just don't think this is our strategy, which makes the Percy signing a ****-up, and the Alexis one, at best, questionable...
Percy was cheap

Alexis was bought for the first team and if he can't play it will be a big f up. We will never get more than we paid for him from a team abroad.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Percy was cheap

Alexis was bought for the first team and if he can't play it will be a big f up. We will never get more than we paid for him from a team abroad.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Cheap! Well I wouldn't say no if you offered me his fee...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here