Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alexis Mac Allister - *** New Contract Until 2025 ***

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
We tried that here. Didn't work - the third from bottom teams were so desperate they'd try anything (and I mean anything) to stay up, their opponents responded in kind and the matches descended into something resembling a war zone!

Surely this isn't true. How could this fixture be any more tense and likely to cause violence than a play off final? (Or another big game like a world cup final). The fact that there was one match where teams displayed poor discipline, surely can't mean that this isn't viable as a fixture. It might just mean it needs a better ref.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Just had a look at his Insta. According to someone who interviewed him yesterday Argentinos Juniors have a 5% sell on clause.

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
44C22148-0025-48CA-8F16-E5C508C7DDA8.jpeg

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Surely this isn't true. How could this fixture be any more tense and likely to cause violence than a play off final? (Or another big game like a world cup final). The fact that there was one match where teams displayed poor discipline, surely can't mean that this isn't viable as a fixture. It might just mean it needs a better ref.
Oh, believe me, it's 100% true - see Easy10's post above. And it wasn't the only one that got a bit 'tasty'.

It's one thing for two teams who have finished near the top of their division to play off for the coveted place (and the booty that goes with it) - it's an entirely different animal when you've scrapped and fought to finish one place above the relegation places, and then have to play some jumped-up nobodies from a lower division who have come to take that coveted PL place away from you. Believe me, those matches weren't a glorious May afternoon on Wembley's hallowed turf, they were total grunge - and nasty with it!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Oh, believe me, it's 100% true - see Easy10's post above. And it wasn't the only one that got a bit 'tasty'.

It's one thing for two teams who have finished near the top of their division to play off for the coveted place (and the booty that goes with it) - it's an entirely different animal when you've scrapped and fought to finish one place above the relegation places, and then have to play some jumped-up nobodies from a lower division who have come to take that coveted PL place away from you. Believe me, those matches weren't a glorious May afternoon on Wembley's hallowed turf, they were total grunge - and nasty with it!

EXACTLY.

Just imagine - if one of the teams in the Final was the one dragged into a relegation playoff, they're fighting not to go up, but just to STAY up. Against a team that will take their place. Its devastating enough to lose a Playoff final, thus fail to gain promotion and just stay where you are. But to lose and get RELEGATED into the bargain - in front of the very fans cavorting at your demise...whoa. Thats a whole new level of hurt.

As I said earlier, I would 100% support the idea of bringing this back. Bottom 2 relegated, 18th plays off against 3rd, 4th and 5th in the Championship. Finish 3rd bottom and you've still got a CHANCE of staying up, if you're up to it, brilliant. But we'd all be drawing in our pants with a brown crayon. Pure box office.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
EXACTLY.

Just imagine - if one of the teams in the Final was the one dragged into a relegation playoff, they're fighting not to go up, but just to STAY up. Against a team that will take their place. Its devastating enough to lose a Playoff final, thus fail to gain promotion and just stay where you are. But to lose and get RELEGATED into the bargain - in front of the very fans cavorting at your demise...whoa. Thats a whole new level of hurt.

As I said earlier, I would 100% support the idea of bringing this back. Bottom 2 relegated, 18th plays off against 3rd, 4th and 5th in the Championship. Finish 3rd bottom and you've still got a CHANCE of staying up, if you're up to it, brilliant. But we'd all be drawing in our pants with a brown crayon. Pure box office.
Does sound rather entertaining.

Should do it as an IPL style format though so the 18th placed PL team and the third place Championship team have more of a chance. Just to stop some shithouse team like Wednesday [emoji23] getting any advantage, not that it helped them eventually.

So 18th PL plays 3rd and 4th play 5th. Winner of the first game goes into the final. Loser plays the winner of the second game for the other final place.

I've been an advocate for this for all the normal playoffs for a while. It's more fair.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Does sound rather entertaining.

Should do it as an IPL style format though so the 18th placed PL team and the third place Championship team have more of a chance. Just to stop some shithouse team like Wednesday [emoji23] getting any advantage, not that it helped them eventually.

So 18th PL plays 3rd and 4th play 5th. Winner of the first game goes into the final. Loser plays the winner of the second game for the other final place.

I've been an advocate for this for all the normal playoffs for a while. It's more fair.

I get where you're coming from, but you're removing that EDGE by actually giving a Playoff loser another stab at making the Final. Yes, in terms of the points tally over the season it can certainly be justified. But I think once you've entered into the madness of the Playoffs, its down to who handles it, and anything goes. Plus, the losing team from the 1st game can be quite strategic. "OK, no biggee if we lose against X, we'll rest some players in the 2nd leg and make sure we're ready for that next game against Y to make the Final". Mmmnah, that doesn't sit well.

4 teams, 1 from the division above, 3 from below, standard format. Lets rock.

As an aside, nobody who finishes SIXTH really deserves a chance to go up anyway,

Last edited:

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I get where you're coming from, but you're removing that EDGE by actually giving a Playoff loser another stab at making the Final. Yes, in terms of the points tally over the season it can certainly be justified. But I think once you've entered into the madness of the Playoffs, its down to who handles it, and anything goes. Plus, the losing team from the 1st game can be quite strategic. "OK, no biggee if we lose against X, we'll rest some players in the 2nd leg and make sure we're ready for that next game against Y to make the Final". Mmmnah, that doesn't sit well.

4 teams, 1 from the division above, 3 from below, standard format. Lets rock.

As an aside, nobody who finishes SIXTH really deserves a chance to go up anyway,
Ah but there wouldn't be a second leg as it'd be neutral grounds and one game only. DRAMA. [emoji23]

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Ah but there wouldn't be a second leg as it'd be neutral grounds and one game only. DRAMA. [emoji23]

But with your method, you could have 18th v 3rd, and one of them wins the first leg 3-0, and so is as good as in the Final. The other team (which knows they will probably lose) has the option of resting players, as they know they've still got that 2nd hit against the winners of the 4th v 5th game (whether it be over 1 leg or 2 to make the Final). Thats a bit gubbins IMO.

Nope, I'd keep it pure and simple. 18th v 3rd, 4th v 5th over 2 legs. Winners of each tie meet in the Final. OOH yeah.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
But with your method, you could have 18th v 3rd, and one of them wins the first leg 3-0, and so is as good as in the Final. The other team (which knows they will probably lose) has the option of resting players, as they know they've still got that 2nd hit against the winners of the 4th v 5th game (whether it be over 1 leg or 2 to make the Final). Thats a bit gubbins IMO.

Nope, I'd keep it pure and simple. 18th v 3rd, 4th v 5th over 2 legs. Winners of each tie meet in the Final. OOH yeah.
I said no second leg!!!! A straight knockout fight to the death at a neutral ground, with extra time and penalties.

But I'm fine with your version too. [emoji23]

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I said no second leg!!!! A straight knockout fight to the death at a neutral ground, with extra time and penalties.

But I'm fine with your version too. [emoji23]

Ahhh...sorry, its late. Have it like a 20/20 Finals Day you mean ?

Oh HELL yeah, 3 games back-to-back, 2 semi's and the final at (I suppose) Wembley, in an all-dayer. Logistical NIGHTMARE, knackered players in the final, but just try to keep me away :lolol:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
EXACTLY.

First paragraph, spot on. Second paragraph - no, I think that experiment is best left where it is; an experiment that didn't work - just way too much aggro. Personally I'd rather see play-offs ditched altogether, but I recognise that that bird has flown - too much money is generated to ditch it now.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
First paragraph, spot on. Second paragraph - no, I think that experiment is best left where it is; an experiment that didn't work - just way too much aggro. Personally I'd rather see play-offs ditched altogether, but I recognise that that bird has flown - too much money is generated to ditch it now.

Surely you can't agree with the 1st paragraph without then agreeing with the 2nd though ?? Yes there was aggro back then, but 1988 was a very different time in football stadiums to what it is now.

Come on GT. Where's your SPUNK ? Lets do this.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Surely you can't agree with the 1st paragraph without then agreeing with the 2nd though ?? Yes there was aggro back then, but 1988 was a very different time in football stadiums to what it is now.

Come on GT. Where's your SPUNK ? Lets do this.
Very enjoyably usually aimed at something that isn't a play-off final or a football chat forum! But thank you for asking.....
:lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here