Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alexis Mac Allister - *** New Contract Until 2025 ***

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
...who is a Home Grown Player with a full England cap!

Yeah, but for a 15 minute showing and just the one goal in English football. My point is that if it's $10m and that's in Pesos, then its only like £200k.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Whilst his talent is clear I’m not certain this will prove to be a good fit in the longer term but really hope to be proven very wrong.

$10m is quite an outlay for a 20 yr old who hasn’t really set the world alight or had experience in continental competitions over there as Argentinos Juniors aren’t exactly great.

The link has given me ample work time to go down Wikipedia rabbit holes around Argentinian football and love how they deal with relegation.

At the end of the season the three teams with the worst three year rolling average points totals are relegated. That’s such a South American way of doing it.

Clearly the chairmen of the big boys fear relegation and hope that by averaging performance they can stop a single season of crapness causing long term harm.

Am staggered Scudamore didn’t borrow that one to protect the interests of the more established Prem teams in their quest for no relegation or promotion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting way of doing things!

I've always been a fan of: bottom two go down, third bottom goes into a play-off game with the third placed team from the division below. Fair few leagues do that I seem to recall. It sort of says "neither of you two were quite good enough over the course of a season so let's see how you handle a winner takes all thing".

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Interesting way of doing things!

I've always been a fan of: bottom two go down, third bottom goes into a play-off game with the third placed team from the division below. Fair few leagues do that I seem to recall. It sort of says "neither of you two were quite good enough over the course of a season so let's see how you handle a winner takes all thing".
We tried that here. Didn't work - the third from bottom teams were so desperate they'd try anything (and I mean anything) to stay up, their opponents responded in kind and the matches descended into something resembling a war zone!

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
We tried that here. Didn't work - the third from bottom teams were so desperate they'd try anything (and I mean anything) to stay up, their opponents responded in kind and the matches descended into something resembling a war zone!

Oh really? I never knew that! How long ago was this?

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Oh really? I never knew that! How long ago was this?

1970s, I think, or maybe the 80s - I think it was when we first moved from the straight two up two down format. We only did it fr a season or two, and I've got a vague memory of Sunderland once being involved.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
1970s, I think, or maybe the 80s - I think it was when we first moved from the straight two up two down format. We only did it fr a season or two, and I've got a vague memory of Sunderland once being involved.

It was in 1988. The 'relegation playoff' was only tried for 1 season, primarily because of the chaos of the Playoff Final (over 2 legs) between Middlesbrough and Chelsea. It all went off at Stamford Bridge when Chelsea failed to overturn Middlesbrough's 2-0 lead from the first leg. So Boro went up, at the same time relegating Chelsea in the process, and the locals ended up being a trifled bit miffed.

The FL felt the stakes were too high for that type of winner-takes-all fixture so they knocked it on the head. Personally I'd LOVE to see it come back.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It was in 1988. The 'relegation playoff' was only tried for 1 season, primarily because of the chaos of the Playoff Final (over 2 legs) between Middlesbrough and Chelsea. It all went off at Stamford Bridge when Chelsea failed to overturn Middlesbrough's 2-0 lead from the first leg. So Boro went up, at the same time relegating Chelsea in the process, and the locals ended up being a trifled bit miffed.

The FL felt the stakes were too high for that type of winner-takes-all fixture so they knocked it on the head. Personally I'd LOVE to see it come back.
I thought I had a vague memory of Sunderland........so, it was Middlesbrough. Well, I was close!

Thanks for putting us right on the details.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

I had no idea. Shame as I think it definitely has merits as a system of relegation / promotion. It'd certainly stop the whole "scrape into the playoffs in sixth and fluke through it" shit we've seen before.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

Not exactly. It was also tried in 1987, when Charlton and Leeds played over two legs to see whether Charlton would stay up or Leeds would be promoted. In the semi-finals Charlton (19th in old div 1) beat Ipswich (5th in div 2) and Leeds (4th in div 2) beat Oldham (3rd). In the two-legged final each team won 1-0 at home (well, Selhurst in Charlton's case) and there was a one-game decider at St Andrews, which Charlton won 2-1, all the goals coming in extra time. .

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Welcome to the Alexis Mac Allister
Such a lovely face (such a lovely face)
And he's got great pace.
Plenty of room for Alexis Mac Allister
Any time of year (any time of year) you can find him here

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Not exactly. It was also tried in 1987, when Charlton and Leeds played over two legs to see whether Charlton would stay up or Leeds would be promoted. In the semi-finals Charlton (19th in old div 1) beat Ipswich (5th in div 2) and Leeds (4th in div 2) beat Oldham (3rd). In the two-legged final each team won 1-0 at home (well, Selhurst in Charlton's case) and there was a one-game decider at St Andrews, which Charlton won 2-1, all the goals coming in extra time. .

Blimey, that Charlton v Leeds must've completely passed me by, was it just between the old First and Second Division ? We went down to Division 3 with a wimper in 87, I don't recall there being a potential relegation playoff safety-net for us to scramble for back then.

Its the Chelsea fans who we have to thank for putting the kybosh on it though.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I thought I had a vague memory of Sunderland........so, it was Middlesbrough. Well, I was close!
Actually, I was very close - see below.............

Blimey, that Charlton v Leeds must've completely passed me by, was it just between the old First and Second Division ? We went down to Division 3 with a wimper in 87, I don't recall there being a potential relegation playoff safety-net for us to scramble for back then.
!987 - the year we went down to division 3, we were relegated along with Grimsby, and Sunderland were relegated via the play-offs (Bolton were relegated to the division 4 via play-offs too). So, it was applied across all the divisions.

I can't find any details about the 1988 play-offs but I'm pretty sure that was all the way down too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here