Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Members

4 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Notters View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think that's my point really - the 30 - 40 age group hasn't done well out of it.

You can add student loans to your list.
    Those who were the first to pay £9,000 fees are turning 26 this year...
    "Do what you do, stay as you are, let's keep having fun." Sam Baldock

• North Stand Chat

advertising

1 Not allowed!
      Seen as a vote winner when announced in a budget sometime ago, but with this being introduced by the Tories they have performed badly in actually introducing the card for 26-30 year olds.
      Clearly the Tories wanted a good headline or two when they announced it, but didn't want to release all of the money straight away. So it was released in drip drip fashion, with only a very limited number of cards being available on certain lines as a trial to start with. Why a trial was needed, bot one other than that excuse for a Transport Minister knows given that there are many existing discount cards available. So even if you were eligible for one, it was very unlikely you were going to get one from day one.

When they eventually got round to actually releasing the cards to all eligible 26-30s, guess what there were delays of up to 5 hours, yes 5 hours waiting time on line to actually reach the site to actually purchase one, because the servers couldn't cope (no doubt due to lack of investment).

Now all they need is a reliable train service to actually be able to use the card, but as usual it doesn't apply to peak time fares, etc.

Another example from the Tories on how not to introduce something smoothly.
      Joint winner NSC Predictor League 2017/18
      Test your smoke alarm Bry Nylon's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
      Millennials have been really, really shat on by baby boomers. Lower wages, virtually unachievable property prices & crazily high rent, terrible pension prospects, the list goes on...
      ... and finally, condemning them to travel on our piss-poor excuse for a rail network really is the final kick in the knackers.

Poor ********
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      I get why students get a rail card, and people who've only just left school, but why do 26-30s get one?

I had more disposable income as a 26 year old than I do now and I would imagine that's the case with most people, certainly those with kids! Just wondered what the thinking was.

By the way I hold the view that all rail fares should be heavily subsidised by the government, and that this would stimulate the economy.
      student railcard
      young persons railcard
      two for one
      family
      senior
      we all get one

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by pearl View Post
      student railcard
      young persons railcard
      two for one
      family
      senior
      we all get one
      Well not really - people between the ages of 30 and 65 only get one if they're travelling with others.
      Quote Originally Posted by Billy the Fish View Post
      Are people taking stupidity pills on here today or something
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      Well not really - people between the ages of 30 and 65 only get one if they're travelling with others.
      yeah .... an' that's me out for the next 6 weeks

senior one starts at 60 btw
      Absolutely Sheeboed Tom Hark, Preston Park's Avatar

3 Not allowed!
      Reckon the rail companies should be forced to introduce a Mon-Fri only season ticket. Most commuters are so heartily sick of the poxy rail network that the very last thing they'd want to do is submit themselves to it of a weekend. Even if it weren't invariably a tatty old tortuously slow bus of a weekend.
      Buy The Ticket,Take The Ride - Hunter S. Thompson

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hark, Preston Park View Post
      Reckon the rail companies should be forced to introduce a Mon-Fri only season ticket. Most commuters are so heartily sick of the poxy rail network that the very last thing they'd want to do is submit themselves to it of a weekend. Even if it weren't invariably a tatty old tortuously slow bus of a weekend.
      Yep. Equally I've had one since August up here, and the only time I'd use it at the weekend is to go out for a beer on Saturday evenings... and there's been no service after 5 on Northern on Saturday evenings since August due to strikes. So it's £18 for an uber every time.
      Quote Originally Posted by Billy the Fish View Post
      Are people taking stupidity pills on here today or something
      The Motorik

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by studio150 View Post
      Now all they need is a reliable train service to actually be able to use the card, but as usual it doesn't apply to peak time fares, etc.
      It does apply to peak time fares, provided they are over the minimum fare of £12 (or £18.60 for London zone 1-6 travelcard) and they are for individual tickets rather than seasons.
      The Motorik

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hark, Preston Park View Post
      What's needed more for modern working patterns is a 'no more than three / four return trips per seven day week' season, irrespective on what days of the week those trips are used on. The main problem with that is a quick and effective way to enforce that condition to prevent over-use. The best way is probably a smartcard ticket valid up a certain total number of journeys over a longer validity period (e.g. up to 100 journeys in a max 200 day validity period). It would still lead to arguments from people who'd think their total of remaining journeys had been miscalculated however.