Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] World's steepest street?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
There's a turning 'off' May road that is still called may road, it's a dead end comes out near the bus stop toward the top of Elm Grove.

View attachment 128155

I live on Hartington Road, which is a bloody shit of a road. When we were looking to move from Camden 10years ago there is no way in hell I would have bought the house if I had to walk to view it, only thought of that pushing a new born up the hill in a push chair with shopping one day, after obviously a leisurely walk down the hill to Sainsbury’s the first week.

Now the daughter and wife cycle up it, I can manage to the graveyard and have to push the rest of the way.
In the photo you can see at the end of May Road (yes this is steep especially after you reach the top of Hartington and are deceived by a flattish section before that shit of bit) across Elm grove to an old cafe which is opposite Fox on the downs, anyone remember it, from memory it was rank inside.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
In the photo you can see at the end of May Road (yes this is steep especially after you reach the top of Hartington and are deceived by a flattish section before that shit of bit) across Elm grove to an old cafe which is opposite Fox on the downs, anyone remember it, from memory it was rank inside.

Yes, eating in a cafe that in a previous life was a public toilet was a bit weird.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
It was mainly cleared away in the 60’s, replaced by the flats (outside where Albion hard men fought Spuds and Aberdeen hard men about 10 years ago). With the loss of several terraced streets.

My God that must have been some punch-up if even terraced streets died. Or I see what you mean.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
I tried tackling the street next to Viktoria Zizkov FC as I saw an elderly woman with a walking stick heading up it. I got half way and gave up haha walked back down, and got the tram instead.
Came down it once in winter when icy. Terrifying.

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patreon
May 3, 2012
Valencia
Wasn’t expecting this to come up in my post quotes!

Obvious typo there because there wasn't anything "top" about it.

I lived at the bottom of Penglais Hill above the Spa and had to drag myself up every day. A mate of mine lived in a house halfway up that mental gradient road and was thankfully much fitter than me.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here