Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] World's steepest street?

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Parts of Albion Hill must be pretty steep. I remember my Nan, who was from the Hanover area, telling me that in order to be a postman in the old days - I guess the 1920s - you had to be able to cycle up Albion Hill from a standing start. Great story even if bulls*t.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Nice of the council to make The Drove downhill only.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells

Shy Talk

Mar 3, 2012
Brighton
I was told, many years ago, that May Road, near the top of Elm Grove, was the steepest in Brighton. I can't be asked to check this out.

Scappa

Jul 5, 2017
Baldwin Street in Dunedin, Otago has called itself the steepest street in the world for a while; can't speak to the veracity of that claim, but it's certainly a schlepp. A couple of roads heading out the back of Akaroa to the hills of the Banks Peninsula felt steeper

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I know this forum loves pedantry. So......

Under Part III of the New Road & Street Works Act 1991 a "Street" is legally defined as (amongst other things) 'any highway, road, lane, footway, alley or passage'. Under the various Highways Acts, highways include public footpaths and bridleways. Therefore, legally speaking, any footpath in the fells, or any set of urban steps is a street, and many are certainly steeper than any vehicular road; and these would therefore technically be a steeper street than anything mentioned so far.

Carry on though, as I don't think this is what the article really means!

Last edited:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
id like to nominate the street in Iraklion in Crete ......from the top of which i deposited my 175 yamaha off roader into the harbour , on its back wheel back in 1983.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
There’s a road in Aberystwyth which must be at least 1:4 gradient, if not more. Unbearable to walk up!

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
image.jpg

Vale Street in Totterdown, Bristol is supposed to be the steepest in England.
The cars are parked sideways, not sure the handbrake would hold otherwise.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
View attachment 103660

Vale Street in Totterdown, Bristol is supposed to be the steepest in England.
The cars are parked sideways, not sure the handbrake would hold otherwise.

That bottom section must be at least 40% gradient, judging by the steps next to them!

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Parts of Albion Hill must be pretty steep. I remember my Nan, who was from the Hanover area, telling me that in order to be a postman in the old days - I guess the 1920s - you had to be able to cycle up Albion Hill from a standing start. Great story even if bulls*t.

Also Richmond Street which is parallel with Albion Hill is very steep.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
I know this forum loves pedantry. So......

Under Part III of the New Road & Street Works Act 1991 a "Street" is legally defined as (amongst other things) 'any highway, road, lane, footway, alley or passage'. Under the various Highways Acts, highways include public footpaths and bridleways. Therefore, legally speaking, any footpath in the fells, or any set of urban steps is a street, and many are certainly steeper than any vehicular road; and these would therefore technically be a steeper street than anything mentioned so far.

Carry on though, as I don't think this is what the article really means!
"Guinness World Records sets out a definition for the steepest street.

It is based on its maximum gradient over a ten metre span, comparing the vertical rise to the horizontal distance.

The street or road is also defined as a public thoroughfare that is commonly used by the public, who are able to drive vehicles across it."

From the article

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
I always thought the steepest street in the world was in Dunedin, New Zealand.

Certainly feels like it walking up it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here