Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] World's Hardest Creature XII - Coming Soon(ish)

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Evening all. Well it's almost that time again. Many of you will be thrilled, some of you will be heartily cheesed off but there's no denying that the annual WHC contest has become an NSC essential.

As I'd mentioned in my overly sentimental new year post, I'm quite busy these days, as I'm running two jobs concurrently. With this in mind, I'm not going to be able to roll out WHC XII until mid-February rather than its usual January slot. I'm sure you'll all get over this delay but if any of you are so impatient for animal based barneys then you're more than welcome to kick it off. Failing that: sit tight. The creatures will be scrapping shortly.

Before then, I wanted to take a moment to get your views on a few WHC format issues. All of these were touched on last year, so I thought I'd see what the consensus was before this year's contest begins.

Weekday polls
Weekendgate upset many of you last year. Am I to assume that polling should only take place Monday to Friday?

Poll length
How do we feel about poll length? 2 days? 3 days? More?

Public polling
Much has been made about the pro and anti badger brigade in the past. A couple of people have suggested public polls as a means of seeing just who is voting for who. Do we care enough about this?

Seeding
A perennial WHC chestnut. Should the competition retain its essential knock out format or would you all prefer something a little more Wimbledonish?

Thoughts please...

Just don't bother.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Any truth in the rumour that Vladimir Putin has already congratulated the Grasshopper Mouse on it's victory?

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I think weekends are for football, weekdays for fighting.

I'm partial to a two day vote. Any longer and it can drag on a bit.

I'm all for the public vote. Adds another layer of debate...

I'm not a fan of seeding.

Thanks for doing it, it's a lot of work. Ignore the negative nancies. As Taylor Swift so eloquently said, haters gonna hate. Just Shake it off...

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Ignore the haters. It’s that time of year where everyone is miserable. We should let these attempts to sanitise NSC by ending it’s quirkier traditions succeed or else it’ll be just another BBS.

Weekday polls
Monday to Friday with the exception of the final.

Poll length
2 days seems reasonable but perhaps have the final extended over a weekend?

Public polling
I’m sure we’ve had these before. Bring back public polling I say.

Seeding
Not needed. There has been some truly memorable ‘groups of death’. We can’t have the big hitters avoiding each other until the later rounds.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Ignore the haters. It’s that time of year where everyone is miserable. We should let these attempts to sanitise NSC by ending it’s quirkier traditions succeed or else it’ll be just another BBS.

Weekday polls

Poll length

Public polling

Seeding
Not needed. There has been some truly memorable ‘groups of death’. We can’t have the big hitters avoiding each other until the later rounds.

This.. this... This... And er, this

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Haters Gonna Hate? I can just see Honey Badger listening to something like this in the locker room; getting himself pumped before another bruising encounter...

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
What happened to the World's Best Cake ?

We did the group stages a few years ago and are still waiting for the knockout phase !

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Please sort out your 2nd, 3rd, 4th....100th accounts out now please.

All the desperate emails for password resets gets awfully tiresome.

....and don't this just sum it up - its the only reason the Honey Badger doesn't walk this every year and it totally undermines the integrity of the competition

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs

Weekday polls

Poll length

Public polling

Seeding

This.. this... This... And er, this
And this.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Right now I'm in the "don't bother" camp, but I suspect I'll get sucked in as usual.

Along with REMF, crodo's sweepstakes where he always gets the best competitor, El Pres's 25 "hilarious" alter-egos and BensGrandads silly football rumours, the annual World's Hardest Creature competition is part of NSC's DNA.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Yeah I thought it had lost some of it's magic last year but then it absolutely exploded into life in Round 2 with the Grasshopper Mouse ROARing into the semis for the third year running and culminated in one of the most popular finals of all time - probably due to the presence of the Honey Badger.

Keep it as it is.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
"According to the World Health Organisation, about 725,000 people are killed every year by mosquito-borne diseases. Malaria alone affects 200 million, of which an estimated 600,000 die. Mosquitoes also carry dengue fever, yellow fever and encephalitis"

Little ********. So it's Geese, shirly?

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
This year's pre-WHC odds:

Hippo 5/2
Honey Badger 3/1
Polar Bear 5/1
Salt Water Croc 8/1
Grasshopper Mouse 8/1
Mantis Shrimp 16/1
Wolverine 20/1

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
This year's pre-WHC odds:

Hippo 5/2
Honey Badger 3/1
Polar Bear 5/1
Salt Water Croc 8/1
Grasshopper Mouse 8/1
Mantis Shrimp 16/1
Wolverine 20/1

My contact from South Africa tells me the CASSOWARY is an exciting E/W option this year.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
After years of supporting the Honey Badger I'm now #teamtardigrade.

Absolute NAILS.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here