Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast
    Members

0 Not allowed!
    Milkman - only accepts cheques
    Greengrocers - doesn't have a card machine (they only got a clever till recently, until then they still added up the bills by writing on a piece of cardboard)
    Local plant centre - they are still in the realms of the greengrocers from a few years ago....
    Barbers - don't have a card machine.

Yes, I'm up north before you ask! Cash isn't dying out round here. You should have seen the look on the butcher's face when a young visitor tried to pay with his phone!!

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by jonnyrovers View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

You tell the app who you're with (it uses your contact list and looks for those with Revolut accounts, and checks proximity, you just tap on the names in your group). Whoever wants to hold the whip sets it up in their Revolut app (say €450), hits split, and your mates all get tapped up for an equal contribution via the app (so 9 of you would contribute €50 each). They tap the notification and it sends the money in to your Revolut app. You can name it 'The Whip' then buy beer all day specifically from that fund, either by contactless, withdrawing cash, whatever you want. If you need to top up, you enter the total amount, hit split, tap your mates up same again.

Even if there's no whip, say you want to split a big bar/restaurant bill, you just enter the total amount, tap on the people your splitting with, hit split and it asks them all for their contribution. This goes straight in to your account so you can pay the bill.
      Cheers, that's good to know.
      "WINNERS FIND ANSWERS. PROMOTION CANDIDATES FIND THEIR SOLUTIONS. BRIGHTON HAVE FOUND THE ANSWER TONIGHT" Sky Sports commentator after Glen Murray scored 94th minute at Birmingham. 17.12.2016

4 Not allowed!
      We should not give up our right to hold the cash in our own hands.

We may come to regret it.

A cashless society would hand to much power to banks and the government.

Interest rates have been consistently low for many years now. If it hadn't been for the threat that we could remove our money and hold it in cash, maybe interest rates would have been lowered into negative base rates.

For this reason we should fight for our right to hold cash in our own hands, even if you don't actually wish to carry notes and coins.

Cash is also much better for people who cannot manage their money well.

It is much nicer for children to learn how to manage money using cash too.

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by btnbelle View Post

This.
      My youngest lad is 15, he likes going out with cash to buy clothes occasionally.. Also I don't have to take him to get his hair cut now, I give him cash for the bus and the barber.
      I'm not actually sure how old someone has to be before they can have a debit or credit card.
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by bn9 bha View Post
      This.
      My youngest lad is 15, he likes going out with cash to buy clothes occasionally.. Also I don't have to take him to get his hair cut now, I give him cash for the bus and the barber.
      I'm not actually sure how old someone has to be before they can have a debit or credit card.
      Debit card - most banks offer them from about 11/12 - I don't think there's a fixed limit.

Credit card - 18 (because of the need to sign, and be bound by, a credit agreement)

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by schmunk View Post
      Debit card - most banks offer them from about 11/12 - I don't think there's a fixed limit.

Credit card - 18 (because of the need to sign, and be bound by, a credit agreement)
      Thanks.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by btnbelle View Post
      We should not give up our right to hold the cash in our own hands.

We may come to regret it.

A cashless society would hand to much power to banks and the government.

Interest rates have been consistently low for many years now. If it hadn't been for the threat that we could remove our money and hold it in cash, maybe interest rates would have been lowered into negative base rates.

For this reason we should fight for our right to hold cash in our own hands, even if you don't actually wish to carry notes and coins.

Cash is also much better for people who cannot manage their money well.

It’s also a lot easier to hide from the taxman......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 Not allowed!
      Worked in Stockholm about 20 years ago and was amazed on how far advanced they were to us. Taxis took credit cards, credit card used PIN numbers, wonderful transport system with good cheap car parks outside the city and cheap combined tickets for tubes, buses, boats and of course the blonds! I always thought that we were a country at the front of technology, how wrong I was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      A tad aggressive.

2 Not allowed!
      I won’t need my cash when Initiative Q takes off.

I don't want a MOBO Award so stop
      Nah, I've already got a doorstop

CasisDead - What’s my name?
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Blackadder View Post
      I had the opposite problem in the Philippines recently. No one wanted to take cards, except the large multi national stores. Two of the hotels accepted credits cards. The appartment we booked was cash only, even though we had secured the booking with my card using Booking.com. I had similar problems in Malaysia a few years back.
      I had a similar problem in Amsterdam a few years back. The hotel had been booked and paid for but, like most hotels these days, wanted a card when checking in. I don't have a credit card, only a debit one and the hotel didn't take British cards. It therefore insisted on a cash deposit of 100 euros, which I didn't have with me - I had to borrow some from a work colleague.

Cashless society? It's a long way off
      Brevis esse laboro, obscurus fio