Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] O/T Cashless Society

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
The only time I feel I need cash nowadays is when there isn't an Uber nearby and I need a cab quickly. Inexplicably, not all London and Brighton Hackneys take cards.....

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I rarely use cash now. I've got to the point where I use contactless constantly for everyday stuff. I found myself feeling a bit sheepish last week, mind, when I paid 89p for a bag of crisps or something with contactless (it used to be only students who paid for minuscule amounts with cards :) ). I'm even quite bad when it comes to actually having to put a number in for chip & PIN payment. I'm so used to just waving a card at the machine and wandering off, that I've twice abandoned debit cards in chip & PIN machines because I'd got out of the habit of actually having to slot the card in.

I was in a petrol station the other day and an elderly lady in front of me was paying for her shopping with cash: entirely it appeared, in coppers and silver. After she wandered off back to her car, and I patiently watched the cashier slowly count the enormous pile of small change back into the till, I said to her how strange it felt seeing somebody paying in coins. The cashier said barely anybody pays them cash now.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
So I've found out. I haven't been up to Victoria for about 14 months now.

Definitely free now. The robbing ******** at Brighton still charge though.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Definitely free now. The robbing ******** at Brighton still charge though.

That must be after Christmas then. I had lot of train journeys in November and December and they were all free (the barriers are still there but are permanently open).

These people who only use cards: where do they shop? Just today, I've paid for a bottle of milk in cash (shop does take cards but you have to spend a tenner), the window cleaner in cash and am giving £2 to my son for his youth club (cash only).

I don't understand people who say they never use cash. How do people tip if they use cards only? How do they give posties, refuse collectors etc Christmas boxes? Do they never buy takeaways or go to the chippie? Do they never buy a newspaper? Do they give to charity boxes? Do they never buy a programme at the Amex? I'd say 80% of my transactions are cash, can't imagine using a card regularly

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
That must be after Christmas then. I had lot of train journeys in November and December and they were all free (the barriers are still there but are permanently open).

These people who only use cards: where do they shop? Just today, I've paid for a bottle of milk in cash (shop does take cards but you have to spend a tenner), the window cleaner in cash and am giving £2 to my son for his youth club (cash only).

I don't understand people who say they never use cash. How do people tip if they use cards only? How do they give posties, refuse collectors etc Christmas boxes? Do they never buy takeaways or go to the chippie? Do they never buy a newspaper? Do they give to charity boxes? Do they never buy a programme at the Amex? I'd say 80% of my transactions are cash, can't imagine using a card regularly

The window cleaner is paid by bank transfer. He puts a card through my door to let me know he's done them. The chippie takes card, I never see the dustbinmen and the postie changes week by week.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
In a cashless society how do you have a whip?

Completely a generational thing. I hate not having cash in my pocket and wouldn't dream of buying a round of drinks by card but it would appear the younger generation are the total opposite. Not so bad with contactless these days but used to drive me potty 5 years ago.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Completely a generational thing. I hate not having cash in my pocket and wouldn't dream of buying a round of drinks by card but it would appear the younger generation are the total opposite. Not so bad with contactless these days but used to drive me potty 5 years ago.

I'm the same, feel vulnerable without some cash in my pocket. The worrying thing with contactless is how easy it is to keep buying rounds whilst losing track of how much you've spent. At least with cash you know when it's running / run out for the day and you have to then go and get more out if you need it.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I was in a chippy a while back and a bloke ordered something and offered his card. The woman serving said "sorry, we don't take cards, but there's a cash machine next door". The bloke said "You should get into the 21st century" to which the owner, a Chinese feller piped up "You should f..k off and get your food elsewhere".

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I believe that eventually people will only be paid wages fees etc direct into a bank acount with no cash and all transactions done via card but due to the 'cash in hand' brigade it is a vote loser for any political party and which one would be prepared to take a chance on that.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I was in a chippy a while back and a bloke ordered something and offered his card. The woman serving said "sorry, we don't take cards, but there's a cash machine next door". The bloke said "You should get into the 21st century" to which the owner, a Chinese feller piped up "You should f..k off and get your food elsewhere".

So much for the customer is always right :lol:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
???
I like using cash, sometimes I go into a newsagents and just buy a bag of crisps, I don't want to get a card out for an amount that small.
I have been to 2 non league matches this year, both grounds were taking cash on the turnstiles, not actually sure I could have paid to get in with a card.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
I am very close to it myself, other than the odd car wash etc. Even my local market, Exmouth market, there are stalls who only accept cards. Dislike cash. It will be needed for a while for important parts of our community though for a while

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I believe that eventually people will only be paid wages fees etc direct into a bank acount with no cash and all transactions done via card but due to the 'cash in hand' brigade it is a vote loser for any political party and which one would be prepared to take a chance on that.
....hmm....bit diaparaging isn't it ''cash in hand brigade'' ...what about the 'brigade' who when rfeciving a quote for a job ask ''how much for cash''!

Personally I accept cheques or cash ..not bothered either way...but card payments pffft! If the customer would like to start paying for that facility I'd consider it..otherwise no thanks!

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Disaster, being a tradesman some customers just prefer to pay in cash. The feeling of a large wad of paper in the pocket is simply beautiful.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Disaster, being a tradesman some customers just prefer to pay in cash. The feeling of a large wad of paper in the pocket is simply beautiful.

And we know we have definitely been paid, none of this waiting for a cheque in the post or a bank transfer.

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
I've just been to QV Hospital in East Grinstead and was shocked and dismayed to find parking charges were coins only!

I had to visit "the cashier" to exchange a note (and I was lucky to have that, kept since Christmas; normally I don't have any cash)

The Queen Victoria Hospital is stuck in 1958. You must've noticed? Parquet floor, prefab corridors, staff with rickets...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here