Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] O/T Cashless Society

Pretty Plnk Fairy

NSC Patron
Jan 30, 2008
i only work for cash no questoins asked you know what i mean and remember no one likes a grass

Regards
DR

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I pretty much use cash only on my trips to the U.K. these days. I keep a few 20s on me for emergency but use contactless and chip-and-pin pretty much everywhere. What are the bank fees for, say, a 99p a bag of crisps? Whatever they are they have not stopped me purchasing them on contactless.

Yes I always have a few emergency 20s on me in case I get caught short out and about, especially in this cold weather.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
In our family there is a generational divide, my wife and I use cash for most purchases under £30 and card for over (other than restaurants where we still prefer to pay by cash regardless of amount) whereas our son and his partner use cards for everything and very rarely have any cash on them.

There is also a divide on paper receipts, I want one eveytime, whereas my son doesn't bother.

Whether my wife and I ever move further towards cards all the time, will very much depend on retailers, although I don't really want to check dozens of payments under £10 each month on my bank statement.

FIVESTEPS

Nov 3, 2014
Was told by a recent visitor to the Royal Mint that no coins(apart from commerative)would be produced this year as there were enough in circulation because of decreasing use.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Was told by a recent visitor to the Royal Mint that no coins(apart from commerative)would be produced this year as there were enough in circulation because of decreasing use.

since they seem to only push editions commemorative of something or other, that doesnt mean much different.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It's 50 at Victoria.

:lolol: though its free now.

about keeping some cash handy, i have experienced a few occasions where network or bank problems down meant no cashcards working.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
What do you give to a homeless person in Sweden?

Oooh I can answer this!

There's a thing called "Swish" which is an app which lets you transfer up to 30 grand for free between the participating Swedish banks (which is basically ALL of them) You do it using just a phone number and e-authentication app. Big issue sellers, beggars, buskers, charity workers, all of them have signs with swish and their telephone number on them.

Cash is dead here. Totally dead.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water

That's what I found when I was there last week.

Being an old git, I have NEVER paid for a drink in a pub in the UK with a card.

As others have said, it's a generational thing - I pretty much always use cash, whereas my son never does - always card.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Oooh I can answer this!

There's a thing called "Swish" which is an app which lets you transfer up to 30 grand for free between the participating Swedish banks (which is basically ALL of them) You do it using just a phone number and e-authentication app. Big issue sellers, beggars, buskers, charity workers, all of them have signs with swish and their telephone number on them.

Totally mental.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here