Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] O/T Cashless Society

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I was in Sweden for a few days over the New Year and was very surprised by the amount of places where cash wasn't accepted as payment. Bars, shops, restaurants etc.

Speaking to locals, cash now accounts for 10-15% only of payment transactions.

January 2030 Sweden will be completely cash free.

I know we in the UK are using cards more and more, at what point will we become a cashless society?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I was in Sweden for a few days over the New Year and was very surprised by the amount of places where cash wasn't accepted as payment. Bars, shops, restaurants etc.

I know we in the UK are using cards more and more, at what point will we become a cashless society?

I hope so, makes life much easier.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
We use cash only for our cleaner, kids karate lessons, and to buy programmes/sweets at the Albion. Nothing else

What kind of cleaner are you using that doesn't accept card payments? Hard times in the Stumpy household? ???

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I've just been to QV Hospital in East Grinstead and was shocked and dismayed to find parking charges were coins only!

I had to visit "the cashier" to exchange a note (and I was lucky to have that, kept since Christmas; normally I don't have any cash)

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
We use a company who we pay quarterly via BACS, but we also pay our Romanian £35 a week in cash. That's the way they work.

I'm dreading Brexit that's for sure.

'Your Romanian' :lolol:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

It's a long way off given the limited number of places that take cards at the moment. I go off shopping every Saturday with a wad of dosh in my sky.

Last year, I had to get cash out over a couple of days when I've had to pay £300 and I no longer have a cheque book.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
My barbers still insist on cash, and they will until they are told not to as they are naughty as **** I reckon. My gak dealer is still cash only also.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
doubtful here, we like cash i think. bank fees make it difficult for smaller businesses on small purchases, dont know how they work round that in Sweden.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
doubtful here, we like cash i think. bank fees make it difficult for smaller businesses on small purchases, dont know how they work round that in Sweden.

I pretty much use cash only on my trips to the U.K. these days. I keep a few 20s on me for emergency but use contactless and chip-and-pin pretty much everywhere. What are the bank fees for, say, a 99p a bag of crisps? Whatever they are they have not stopped me purchasing them on contactless.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Small cash is slowly going out of fashion though. When was the last time you saw or used a fiver for example? And I can’t be arsed with coins at all; much rather use contactless than faff around with money. I know others who do the same.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Cash for me ... Always go to cash machine when going anywhere. Feel uncomfortable paying with plastic card for anything less than approx £50.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Always carry some cash with me in case the Visa network is having problems.Most of the small shops around us prefer cash,as does my grandson for his pocket money.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Small cash is slowly going out of fashion though. When was the last time you saw or used a fiver for example? And I can’t be arsed with coins at all; much rather use contactless than faff around with money. I know others who do the same.

It would be great if old ladies took a leaf out of your book, I always seem to end up behind some dithering person who spends half an hour rummaging through their purse for exact money to give to the checkout operator.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Lived here for 2 years and the only cash I’ve ever used is left over money relatives have brought with them and not used. There’s a mobile app called ‘swish’ where you send money just using their mobile number, businesses, taxis and even the homeless (although it’s not so big a problem here as in Brighton!) have it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here