Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion fan issued with five game ban after social media post

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
The club introduced the besmirching clause and specified specifically “conduct on social media” a while ago.

https://www.seagullstickets.com/scr...ocuments/html/tandc.html#membershiptandcs1718

2fbf66defa18f11147e5c83f7c4dc8f3.jpg

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
I'd hazard a guess it was twitter.
With full BHA & WBA hastags, and probably (like many of us) an Albion related profile pic.

Ah, ok. If it's on Twitter then I'm officially Not Interested. I don't care what was said and I don't care what the club did. I'll let those of you who use that wankers' playground debate the rights and wrongs.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
So someone put something on twitter, some other people complained to the Albion and then the club delivered a wrist slap?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ah, ok. If it's on Twitter then I'm officially Not Interested. I don't care what was said and I don't care what the club did. I'll let those of you who use that wankers' playground debate the rights and wrongs.

So someone put something on twitter, some other people complained to the Albion and then the club delivered a wrist slap?

We don't know if it's Twitter, but other than that, yes.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
While I realise the club have the right to stop anyone they like going to a match for any reason, or even no reason, and I can guess as to the subject matter of the comments, since when has it been a football clubs job to police social media of private individuals ?

If you are gonna get banned at least do something awful, like smuggle in a bottle of diet coke with the top on...

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Missing the point again. If it was serious enough then the police should be involved. Shouldn't be down to a football club to decide what is right or wrong.

Any business can choose who it does and doesn't serve.

The Albion are exercising their right in this regard in relation to something someone has said/typed.

I was about to post the same thing. A pub will ban you if the landlord/manager doesn't like your behaviour, so the club are acting in the same way. The article does say there were complaints made to the club, rather than the club actively searching for something.

We can comment all we like, but none of us really know what happened, or as Titanic said, who said what about whom and where.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
How can the club hope to take the moral high ground if it turns a blind eye to "offensive comments" made in it's name.

I'd bet a full pound, anyone getting pissy knickers over this would instantly backtrack if the actual post(s) came to light.

I totally agree - If Brighton fans want the Homophobic slurs on line to stop. If Spurs fans want the Anti Semitic slurs on line to stop. If we want racist slurs on line to stop, you have to lead by example. I have no idea what the post was about and I am guessing that it stems from the Bong/Rodriguez incident, of which I was personally incensed about; that said you can't stoop to the levels of the people who make such slurs so, if the post caused offence then the Club were right to do what they did.

We have to treat people the way we expect to be treated by others

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Hmmm.

What social media outlet were these posted on? I'm guessing it was on something run by the club, else why would people complain 'directly to the club'?

The club has an official Twitter feed, and a Facebook account.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Any business can choose who it does and doesn't serve.

The Albion are exercising their right in this regard in relation to something someone has said/typed.

Almost right but thankfully not the Cornish Christian run B&B that did not want gay men on their premises.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Almost right but thankfully not the Cornish Christian run B&B that did not want gay men on their premises.

Well yes. My post did have "With a few exceptions", but I couldn't be arsed to explain the exceptions so I removed it.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
I’m assuming nsc would also give up details if someone from the club complained about stuff on here ?
So when the club write something and “we” turn around and say “more barber bullshit “ and he takes offence will that b the end of social media and nsc ? Just asking for a “friend”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
This stuff really sits uncomfortably with me. You wouldn't get banned from a theatre, cinema or Sainsbury's for saying something bad online. I find it all a bit odd.

I think a theatre might if you were slagging off actors due to appear. This is in the context of social media abuse relating to the club, and football is always being called to clean up its act relating to abuse

I really don't have a problem with this, banning people like this is fine by me. Flasks, bottle tops, not so much

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I assume it was the comment on twitter in which the poster decided to use the name of a respected dead player as a way of describing how poor he felt the draw was.

eg 'The draw is really *name of player*' - or similar.

It made little sense grammatically, obviously caused offence, was very poor taste, and was unnecessary and unwise for sure.

Complaints were made to OfficialBHAFC about it.

Of course, maybe all this is about a different post.

Last edited:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Well yes. My post did have "With a few exceptions", but I couldn't be arsed to explain the exceptions so I removed it.

Just added in case the club took offence. Didn't want you missing the Liverpool game........

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I’m assuming nsc would also give up details if someone from the club complained about stuff on here ?
So when the club write something and “we” turn around and say “more barber bullshit “ and he takes offence will that b the end of social media and nsc ? Just asking for a “friend”

Let's be clear: if it comes down to me being in court facing financial ruin for something someone I don't know has written on here, or the person who wrote it being in court, themselves then I'd much prefer the latter. I'll not apologise for that.

However there are, of course, legalities when it comes to the data NSC holds. It can't just be given out because someone has asked for it.

Under Tony Bloom's stewardship, the Albion have been, and remain, a progressive club. It's been clear for some time that as part of that, the club have been demonstrating a willingness to tackle unsociable behaviour from fans wherever it takes place. "It was just bantz on twitter" is not an excuse that is going to wash.

I sometimes take action on stuff written on here both to protect NSCers from themselves, but also to protect me from any potential legal issues. I don't want me and/or an NSCer to be up in court because of something written on here. Thankfully this doesn't have to happen very often. NSC is not the Wild West of twitter.

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
I think a theatre might if you were slagging off actors due to appear. This is in the context of social media abuse relating to the club, and football is always being called to clean up its act relating to abuse

I really don't have a problem with this, banning people like this is fine by me. Flasks, bottle tops, not so much

Just seems very big brother.

The club introduced the besmirching clause and specified specifically “conduct on social media” a while ago.

https://www.seagullstickets.com/scr...ocuments/html/tandc.html#membershiptandcs1718

2fbf66defa18f11147e5c83f7c4dc8f3.jpg

I must do everything within my power to protect and enhance the good name of the club in any way or through any means at all times!? **** off! That is absolute nonsense. Reads like something out of a cult.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Not surprising really. There are an extraordinary number of morons who post on Twitter claiming to be Albion supporters, when their comments suggest they are anything but 'supporters'.
The silver lining of any Albion loss means I get to block such people, as they come out in droves.

Similar such folk pop up on the Goldstone Ground Facebook group - it can be a genuinely decent forum, but every so often some outdated stuck-in-the-70s posters appear and ruin the vibe.

I'm not holier than thou, but at the very least I feel I conduct myself with some humility most of the time.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here