Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion fan issued with five game ban after social media post

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
How is a ban enforced? I get that your season ticket won't work but if you get a friend to buy you a ticket in a different part of the ground how will the club know? Find it hard to believe that all stewards and turnstile operators would recognise someone from a photo (assuming the club have one) when the said person is togged up for winter with a hat or hoodie and maybe both.

Obviously it might help if you didn't turn up with a flask or bottle with the top on

Does every ticket issued need an individual fan number linked to it?

The banned person rather cleverly had a photo of himself which was shown on ever tweet sent, so the club will have one.

el punal

How is a ban enforced? I get that your season ticket won't work but if you get a friend to buy you a ticket in a different part of the ground how will the club know? Find it hard to believe that all stewards and turnstile operators would recognise someone from a photo (assuming the club have one) when the said person is togged up for winter with a hat or hoodie and maybe both.

Obviously it might help if you didn't turn up with a flask or bottle with the top on

Hardly worth the risk though, is it? Assuming matey boy makes it through the turnstiles and goes wherever his friend’s ticket is for isn’t there a likelihood he might then be picked up on CCTV? If that were to happen I’m guessing, as he’s been banned, that he’ll be done for trespassing. Better surely to take his medicine, keep a low profile and come back into the fold contrite with a lesson learned.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

Yes is the short answer. Presumably a 5 game ban is just dealt with by not selling tickets to that fan number. If it were a criminal ban for hooliganism, for example, then the cctv operators and police would have the details of those banned and look out for them (or use some sort of facial recognition software).

Geestar

Nov 6, 2012
Shoreham Beach

Very easy to still get in

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk

el punal

I would like to take this opportunity to say that I think the marketing department of our glorious club are fantastic and totally on the ball. I love the way the glorious leader is running the club on behalf of our benefactor and I am honoured to be called a customer.

I agree wholeheartedly with the idea that we shouldn't bring in flasks, bottles or concealed hip flasks. In fact I would go further and suggest no one is allowed to bring anything in to the ground at all and recommend as we have a captive audience, all food and drink prices be increased 5000 fold.

I would ban cameras and mobile phones in the stadium and all swearing and cussing!

Make it so Mr Glorious Leader.

Are you applying to join the board of directors of Brighton and Hove Albion Football Club by any chance? :wink:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Yes, but throwing a full bottle of liquid with the top on will cause far more damage than throwing an empty bottle.

So will throwing a full bottle of liquid with the top off. It won't all come spilling out on it's way from thrower to target - in fact from a standard 500ml bottle very little will.

I think they should ban hot drinks. You can hurt someone far more buy throwing scalding hot tea/coffee over them. A plastic cup of tea (no lid) is handy for close combat if it all kicks of in the 1901 lounge.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I think there's a difference between where you shop and which football team you support. The clue is in the word support. If you actually buy a ticket go along to watch a football team you are more likely to be interested, a fan, even.

People have to/need to shop. They don't have to support a football team.

But as was pointed out - does it apply to away fans? Why should they have to maintain the 'good name' of BHAFC?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Facial recognition cameras, which is why people are being asked to remove hoods and hats as they go through turnstiles.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Facial recognition cameras, which is why people are being asked to remove hoods and hats as they go through turnstiles.

Giving you a handy place to store all your bottle caps while being searched.

Hat 4 Stewards 0 so far this season. :thumbsup:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
In fairness, and I if read that particular condition correctly, it applies to anyone who buys or maybe (in my case) is named on tickets as the person attending the match regardless of the team that I support. To suggest that I'm obliged to protect and enhance the BHAFC brand is a little fanciful no? What I'm particularly uncomfortable with, again if I've understood this correctly, is that if I tweet something that someone at the club is unhappy about, they're going to investigate that tweet, find out who I am, cross reference with their purchase records and 'ban' me? Regardless of the content of the tweet in question, you've got to be a little concerned by this right?

Not particularly concerned, just trusting the club to act proportionately. If I were to tweet "I think Chris Hughton is a bit of a twerp", I would be a bit worried if someone decided to come down on me like a ton of bricks. (he's not a bit of a twerp, incidentally)

If I tweeted something racist or homophobic about someone, it might be a bit different!

Daddies_Sauce

Falmer WSL, not a JCL
Jun 27, 2008

Not been asked to remove my hat while going through the turnstiles, has to be removed as part of the search outside though.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
But as was pointed out - does it apply to away fans? Why should they have to maintain the 'good name' of BHAFC?

Maybe away fans get covered by the club they bought the ticket through. When I bought a ticket for Saints vs Albion, I bought it through the Albion.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
So if the police were called first, is it possible the police and the club worked together to decide that a 5 match ban is the best course of action for a 16 year old?

It could have been a lot worse for him if it went down the criminal charges route & he's hopefully learned his lesson.

Why would the police be called? It was very poor taste but not a crime.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Where are these cameras located? Must confess I've never noticed cameras, not that i've been looking

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
If it is the one linked to on the official Twitter then a 5 match ban is ridiculously over the top. A slightly tasteless (unfunny) joke referencing Cyrille Regis.

Taking the post down should have been enough.

So it was the tweet I thought it was. It's a struggle to understand what he meant, its even more of a struggle to take such offense to. The guy complaining was asking what was meant by the tweet, which suggests that it was pretty bloody hard to understand. Totally over the top reaction and a green light to get bhafc fans banned left, right and center. Utterly ridiculous.

All those horrible and offensive tweets about Knockaerts dad resulted in no bans at all but some obscure reference to an ex WBA player gets someone banned. Meanwhile WBA back a player that was accused of racist behaviour offering full support whilst said player wrongly claims that the FA ruling proves him completely innocent. I despair.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
So if the police were called first, is it possible the police and the club worked together to decide that a 5 match ban is the best course of action for a 16 year old?

It could have been a lot worse for him if it went down the criminal charges route & he's hopefully learned his lesson.
The only police called would have been the taste police.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So it was the tweet I thought it was. It's a struggle to understand what he meant, its even more of a struggle to take such offense to. The guy complaining was asking what was meant by the tweet, which suggests that it was pretty bloody hard to understand. Totally over the top reaction and a green light to get bhafc fans banned left, right and center. Utterly ridiculous.

All those horrible and offensive tweets about Knockaerts dad resulted in no bans at all but some obscure reference to an ex WBA player gets someone banned. Meanwhile WBA back a player that was accused of racist behaviour offering full support whilst said player wrongly claims that the FA ruling proves him completely innocent. I despair.

You seem to be conflating a lot of very different situations into some kind of 'one size fits all' justice.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
So will throwing a full bottle of liquid with the top off. It won't all come spilling out on it's way from thrower to target - in fact from a standard 500ml bottle very little will.

I think they should ban hot drinks. You can hurt someone far more buy throwing scalding hot tea/coffee over them. A plastic cup of tea (no lid) is handy for close combat if it all kicks of in the 1901 lounge.

It’s ok, they’ve already got that covered: the tea in 1901 hasn’t been made with hot water for 2 seasons.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here