Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion fan issued with five game ban after social media post

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Brighton & Hove Albion have issued a five-match ban to a supporter, in light of offensive comments made on social media on Monday evening, deliberately designed to cause offence.

A number of complaints were made directly to the club, after the individual posted deliberately offensive comments online following the FA Cup fourth round draw.

Following an investigation by the club, the individual concerned had already withdrawn the comments and has now apologised for the offensive caused; they have also been warned to expect a more severe punishment should they breach club rules in future.

Source >>> https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/2019/january/club-statement2/

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Crikey... obviously tricky to discuss this without falling foul of the authorities, but any idea who said what where and about who?

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Crikey... obviously tricky to discuss this without falling foul of the authorities, but any idea who said what where and about who?

Easy enough to hazard a guess seeing as it was "following the FA Cup fourth round draw".

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Interesting (and I'm speculating here) that there's no mention of police involvement so the tweet(s) don't fall foul of harassment/hate laws. Does this mean the club are putting themselves in some higher moral position ?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Easy enough to hazard a guess seeing as it was "following the FA Cup fourth round draw".

Be honest if they also post here it wouldn't be too difficult to work out the 'who' aspect as well. :lol:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
While I realise the club have the right to stop anyone they like going to a match for any reason, or even no reason, and I can guess as to the subject matter of the comments, since when has it been a football clubs job to police social media of private individuals ?

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
This stuff really sits uncomfortably with me. You wouldn't get banned from a theatre, cinema or Sainsbury's for saying something bad online. I find it all a bit odd.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
While I realise the club have the right to stop anyone they like going to a match for any reason, or even no reason, and I can guess as to the subject matter of the comments, since when has it been a football clubs job to police social media of private individuals ?
How can the club hope to take the moral high ground if it turns a blind eye to "offensive comments" made in it's name.

I'd bet a full pound, anyone getting pissy knickers over this would instantly backtrack if the actual post(s) came to light.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

“A number of complaints...” made directly to the club. So at least 2, then. Say they came from the target of any offensive comment and from WBA. The Albion have to respond, don’t they?

Now - if the Albion are randomly trawling Twitter (say) looking for offensive tweets under the #BHAFC tag, that’s an entirely different matter.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
How can the club hope to take the moral high ground if it turns a blind eye to "offensive comments" made in it's name.

I'd bet a full pound, anyone getting pissy knickers over this would instantly backtrack if the actual post(s) came to light.

Missing the point again. If it was serious enough then the police should be involved. Shouldn't be down to a football club to decide what is right or wrong.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Missing the point again. If it was serious enough then the police should be involved. Shouldn't be down to a football club who decided what is right or wrong.

Any business can choose who it does and doesn't serve.

The Albion are exercising their right in this regard in relation to something someone has said/typed.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Missing the point again. If it was serious enough then the police should be involved. Shouldn't be down to a football club who to decide what is right or wrong.

The club received complaints.
The club acted on those complaints.

Not everything has to result in screaming for a policeman.

#NotEvenAPoster.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Hmmm.

What social media outlet were these posted on? I'm guessing it was on something run by the club, else why would people complain 'directly to the club'?

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water

Without knowing what was said, IMO it's impossible to comment either way on this.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hmmm.

What social media outlet were these posted on? I'm guessing it was on something run by the club, else why would people complain 'directly to the club'?

I'd hazard a guess it was twitter.
With full BHA & WBA hastags, and probably (like many of us) an Albion related profile pic.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Without knowing what was said, IMO it's impossible to comment either way on this.

Very true, but it's also tough to come to the conclusion that the comment in question comes under the category of #Bantz.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here