Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion fan issued with five game ban after social media post

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hmmmmm

There is a side to this I'm not sure posters have realised.

After Liverpool the games missed will be:-

Watford
Huddersfield
Burnley
&
Cardiff.

There's the possibility the banned fan has got the better deal.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

bha100

Aug 25, 2011
Already covered off enough times on this thread to have me regretting deleting the bit of my post that related to discrimination reasons, which are completely irrelevant to what’s going on here.

I think you should of left that part in now

Yorkshire-Seagull

Feb 11, 2008
I don't understand those of you that are anti twitter.

Twitter is a fantastic tool for whatever you want it to be.
The only gripe I have with it is it's very very bubble forming.

If you're bubble happens to be right-wing fascist propaganda there must come a time when you assume everybody thinks the same as you.

Much the same can be said if your bubble is Albion related, woolly liberal, cycling infrastructure, NFL, stone clearing, dumb drunk people proving why women live longer, you begin to believe everybody is a bit of a jobbie but harmless enough.

That's a genuine problem with Twitter and social media in general. So many people were shocked about the referendum outcome (including me) purely because we surround ourselves with like minded people. I used to just follow & engage with people who have similar political views as myself, so naturally assumed that was representative of the whole country.

Yorkshire-Seagull

Feb 11, 2008
Yeah I'm not sure about banning bottle tops. You'd have to have a real luzz on you to do any damage with one, they're too light and would lose any real pace quickly when thrown.

Yes, but throwing a full bottle of liquid with the top on will cause far more damage than throwing an empty bottle.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Ok - I’ve seen the tweet now. I’d describe it as very tasteless and completely unfunny. In fact, something that a teenage lad might well say down the pub to his mates in a very poorly judged attempt to get a laugh.

What elevates the tweet into the sphere of the Albion having to do something about it is firstly a lack of realisation that Twitter isn’t a pub - it’s broadcast media, accessible by millions of people if they so choose. And secondly, the choice of direct recipients: WBA, BHAFC, and the FA Cup twitter account.

Not content with broadcasting a tasteless “joke” to all and sundry, he specifically picks the three worst accounts to direct the message to, thus ensuring that it’s going to get read by people who are bound to react badly.

Combine this with the Albion being a club that is at the forefront of persuading fans to behave in a socially-acceptable way - you end up with a 5 game ban.

If he’d said it down the pub, he’d probably have got ignored or tutted at. Broadcasting it to the accounts he did was moronic. Hopefully he’s learned his lesson - the “media” part of “social media” is just as meaningful as the “social” part.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
The person who made the initial complaint, took a screen grab of the tweet in question and this is still visible on twitter under the complaints account. The person who got the 5 game ban, firstly switched his twitter account to locked so only confirmed followers could view, but then I believe deleted the ir account and started a new one to try and avoid responses to his earlier tweet on the cup tie.

Try "to" avoid. #grindsmygears Thanks for the info though.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Ok - I’ve seen the tweet now. I’d describe it as very tasteless and completely unfunny. In fact, something that a teenage lad might well say down the pub to his mates in a very poorly judged attempt to get a laugh.

What elevates the tweet into the sphere of the Albion having to do something about it is firstly a lack of realisation that Twitter isn’t a pub - it’s broadcast media, accessible by millions of people if they so choose. And secondly, the choice of direct recipients: WBA, BHAFC, and the FA Cup twitter account.

Not content with broadcasting a tasteless “joke” to all and sundry, he specifically picks the three worst accounts to direct the message to, thus ensuring that it’s going to get read by people who are bound to react badly.

Combine this with the Albion being a club that is at the forefront of persuading fans to behave in a socially-acceptable way - you end up with a 5 game ban.

If he’d said it down the pub, he’d probably have got ignored or tutted at. Broadcasting it to the accounts he did was moronic. Hopefully he’s learned his lesson - the “media” part of “social media” is just as meaningful as the “social” part.

I think this is a very good way of explaining it.

Usually I'd be saying that a 5 game ban is harsh, and it probably is, but we now live in the crazy age of social media and this is proof of how careful you need to be if you're using your own name or any details that can be traced.

It's mental, but that's the reality. Especially mental because the post wasn't particularly offensive, it didn't even make sense and was just jumbled up words and a name.

Looking at it from another angle, by taking swift action and drawing a line under it the club might've done this bloke a favour by preventing a witch hunt which would probably be worse.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
That reads like a clause out of a contract of employment and if it were I'd understand it's validity. But as a customer it's not my job or responsibility to uphold the good name of a business ( and BHA is a business ) just because I buy their product. I shop at Aldi, I despise their parking rules and their use of the scammers Parking Eye. I have made my feelings very public what I think about it on the Aldi Facebook page ( well before I was banned from it and before I deleted my FB account ! ) and on numerous parking ticket forums. I still shop there but when I buy say my olive oil I'm not agreeing to uphold the 'good' name of Aldi - that's their job not mine.

Basically that clause it utter bollocks and written by some corporate lawyer with about as much idea of customer service as I have of brain surgery.

I think there's a difference between where you shop and which football team you support. The clue is in the word support. If you actually buy a ticket go along to watch a football team you are more likely to be interested, a fan, even.

People have to/need to shop. They don't have to support a football team.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I think there's a difference between where you shop and which football team you support. The clue is in the word support. If you actually buy a ticket go along to watch a football team you are more likely to be interested, a fan, even.

People have to/need to shop. They don't have to support a football team.

In fairness, and I if read that particular condition correctly, it applies to anyone who buys or maybe (in my case) is named on tickets as the person attending the match regardless of the team that I support. To suggest that I'm obliged to protect and enhance the BHAFC brand is a little fanciful no? What I'm particularly uncomfortable with, again if I've understood this correctly, is that if I tweet something that someone at the club is unhappy about, they're going to investigate that tweet, find out who I am, cross reference with their purchase records and 'ban' me? Regardless of the content of the tweet in question, you've got to be a little concerned by this right?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
How is a ban enforced? I get that your season ticket won't work but if you get a friend to buy you a ticket in a different part of the ground how will the club know? Find it hard to believe that all stewards and turnstile operators would recognise someone from a photo (assuming the club have one) when the said person is togged up for winter with a hat or hoodie and maybe both.

Obviously it might help if you didn't turn up with a flask or bottle with the top on

Does every ticket issued need an individual fan number linked to it?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
In fairness, and I if read that particular condition correctly, it applies to anyone who buys or maybe (in my case) is named on tickets as the person attending the match regardless of the team that I support. To suggest that I'm obliged to protect and enhance the BHAFC brand is a little fanciful no? What I'm particularly uncomfortable with, again if I've understood this correctly, is that if I tweet something that someone at the club is unhappy about, they're going to investigate that tweet, find out who I am, cross reference with their purchase records and 'ban' me? Regardless of the content of the tweet in question, you've got to be a little concerned by this right?

Depends just how stupid/ignorant/paranoid the person in question is, wouldn't you say?

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
How is a ban enforced? I get that your season ticket won't work but if you get a friend to buy you a ticket in a different part of the ground how will the club know? Find it hard to believe that all stewards and turnstile operators would recognise someone from a photo (assuming the club have one) when the said person is togged up for winter with a hat or hoodie and maybe both.

Obviously it might help if you didn't turn up with a flask or bottle with the top on

Does every ticket issued need an individual fan number linked to it?

If they can see you with a bottle top on CCTV I'm sure Barber's security men will pick out anyone who is banned

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No, I wouldn't. For what it's worth, it's Bloom and Barber's toy and they can do ban who they want, it's just not a precedent I'd be entirely comfortable with.
I'd rather this than the precedent set by other team(s) that clearly states their fans are above the law.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here