Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion fan issued with five game ban after social media post

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Do people get banned from pubs for their views expressed on social media? Do theatres ban people for their behaviour when driving or shopping?

Action for incidents happening at the venue (pub, stadium, theatre) is understandable.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Arguably, bringing the club into disrepute on Twitter is more widely seen than tweeting about the local pub or theatre.

If you slated the local landlord of a pub on social media, and then called into the pub a few days later, I would imagine the bartender would refuse to serve them and tell them they were banned.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Someone soon will have the balls to see the club in court. Because a clause is in a contract does not mean it is legally enforceable, especially in the context of consumer law.

FFS.

After writing some foul and abusive comment on social media someone is going to have their time in court arguing the club has no right to remove their ticket.
Solely because the hideous views they shared with the world is not legally enforceable, especially in the context of consumer law.

I don't know whether to :laugh: or :cry:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Someone soon will have the balls to see the club in court. Because a clause is in a contract does not mean it is legally enforceable, especially in the context of consumer law.

They’ll need a lot of money to see it through to an actual Court hearing (£50k minimum), and I don’t know this, but strongly suspect that football contracts will have very little to do with standard consumer law...

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Some of you guys have taken the p#$$ out of my rants in the past.

But make NO mistake you are all just puppets and the puppet master has you doing their jig.

Yep, and by using the cliche of 'puppets' (was hoping for a 'sheep' reference there too) some will probably continue to.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Apart from balls they would need very deep pockets and I’m not sure that I’ve seen anything that the club has done that could be considered illegal or outrageous. Arrogant and control freakish maybe but nothing worth risking thousands pursuing imo.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Arguably, bringing the club into disrepute on Twitter is more widely seen than tweeting about the local pub or theatre.

If you slated the local landlord of a pub on social media, and then called into the pub a few days later, I would imagine the bartender would refuse to serve them and tell them they were banned.
Difficult to know for sure in this case without the details I guess but I'm sure you understand where I'm coming from. If someone is associating themselves with the club by saying they're a supporter whist expressing views that the club don't like is that bringing the club into disrepute or is the club banning them deliberate exclusion of a part of society that they don't like the look/sound of? Dangerous direction I feel.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London

[MENTION=2378]Horses Arse[/MENTION]

I can confirm, has very much happened at a pub I once worked at. Customer didn't like a member of staff who refused service when they were clearly too drunk and wrote some pretty derogatory things on Facebook. A meeting was called the following day between the manager and the customer which resulted in a six-month ban from the premises.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think the club are doing this lad a favour. It was distasteful but nothing more, but to send it to both BHA and WBA is ****ing stupid. And this stupidity will eventually get him in far deeper water, or a hard punch in the face, if it’s allowed to continue unchecked.

Barber In.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
FFS.

After writing some foul and abusive comment on social media someone is going to have their time in court arguing the club has no right to remove their ticket.
Solely because the hideous views they shared with the world is not legally enforceable, especially in the context of consumer law.

I don't know whether to :laugh: or :cry:

Just making the point that the club’s policy may not be legally enforceable. You could be right that one individual fan may not wish to gamble a shed load of money on a court case, but were this happen on numerous occasions up and down the land you may find the Football Supporters Federation may take an interest.

But you carry on getting animated.............. :cry:

Diablo

NSC Patreon
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Well we. Know that kicking a water bottle Into a fan is £5000
Writing who knows what is a five game ban
Bottle tops carries a potential ban
Remind me what throwing a pie was I can’t keep up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Five game ban...If a season ticket holder can he let someone else go, does club reimburse him or does club sell his seat pocketing money ?

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
[MENTION=2378]Horses Arse[/MENTION]

I can confirm, has very much happened at a pub I once worked at. Customer didn't like a member of staff who refused service when they were clearly too drunk and wrote some pretty derogatory things on Facebook. A meeting was called the following day between the manager and the customer which resulted in a six-month ban from the premises.
Hope you found a decent alternative!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Difficult to know for sure in this case without the details I guess but I'm sure you understand where I'm coming from. If someone is associating themselves with the club by saying they're a supporter whist expressing views that the club don't like is that bringing the club into disrepute or is the club banning them deliberate exclusion of a part of society that they don't like the look/sound of? Dangerous direction I feel.

As you say, all guesswork without seeing the tweet in question. It might've been horrific, and the club might've been totally in the right, or it might've been very soft, and the club has overreacted severely.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
As you say, all guesswork without seeing the tweet in question. It might've been horrific, and the club might've been totally in the right, or it might've been very soft, and the club has overreacted severely.
Agreed. Pointless and unhelpful to continue with guess work but I guess that is what happens with statements such as the one made by the club.

I'm going to shut up now. Barber in!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here