Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Protection for MP,s

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I very much doubt if the British people would ever be given a vote to repeatedly kick someone in the bollocks, so rather an irrelevant question really.

No, of course MPs shouldn't be subject to this sort of abuse and threatening behaviour in the street, but listening to the Guardian reporter being interviewed yesterday on this subject, I could but notice how he (and the BBC for that matter) seem perfectly content to ignore all the vitriol, hate and abuse that has been piled upon Leave voters ever since the day after the Referendum (thick, old, racist, right-wing, swivel-eyed loons, etc. - anybody recall any of these at any time?)
There wasn't nearly so much wringing of hands and worrying what the country was coming to when Geldof used a megaphone to amplify his potty-mouthed vitriolic rants.

That is bad if you have had such abuse as you walk along the road. Maybe you should move to a poorer area.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Why. Its a separate debate. Lets merge it with a thread we ban people who disagree with us from!!!

Moderators, if we merge it with the other thread, can we at least un-ban those we banned, without giving any reason or warnings too??

let's try and keep it balanced.

I didn't realise you'd been banned, I thought you had stopped posting again in order not to look foolish again :shrug:

But now you're back on another thread, have you found out what the WTO default tariff is yet for the $1M that the company you own imports each year ???

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Farage isn't all leavers. Abuse of white males isn't necessary Brexit abuse either - though it may well be linked. And Twitter links aren't worth the cyber-space they waste.

So - a few tenuous examples don't prove anything - besides, the routine and aggressive abuse hurled at Leavers has generated nothing like the shit-storm now going round about a remain MP being called names.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Farage isn't all leavers. Abuse of white males isn't necessary Brexit abuse either - though it may well be linked. And Twitter links aren't worth the cyber-space they waste.

So - a few tenuous examples don't prove anything - besides, the routine and aggressive abuse hurled at Leavers has generated nothing like the shit-storm now going round about a remain MP being called names.

Yes but only 1 side is allowed name calling. Always errs on the losers

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
And Twitter links aren't worth the cyber-space they waste.

Was posted by Radio 5 Live and is an interview with a young leave voter and the abuse he has received. Read and listen to what you want to read.

The "mild" difference about the recent abuse outside parliament is that group are NOT your standard Brexit supporting group at all, more anarchic far right conspiracy theorists.

More akin to that fruitcake who abused Rees Mogg.

They aren't really anything to do with Brexit at all, but have just jumped on the bandwagon to raise publicity for their respective extreme views.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

People are quick to dismiss Twitter and I can see why. I don’t use twitter and unfettered social media should always be treated with caution but dismissing Twitter as a waste of space is as foolish as swallowing it wholesale.
Many intelligent, knowledgeable as well as entertaining people post on Twitter and the comments they garner can be cautiously used at a barometer to measure opinion.
Those who dismiss such platforms are not to be taken seriously and show themselves to be rather out of touch.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
People are quick to dismiss Twitter and I can see why. I don’t use twitter and unfettered social media should always be treated with caution but dismissing Twitter as a waste of space is as foolish as swallowing it wholesale.
Many intelligent, knowledgeable as well as entertaining people post on Twitter and the comments they garner can be cautiously used at a barometer to measure opinion.
Those who dismiss such platforms are not to be taken seriously and show themselves to be rather out of touch.

It's the BBCs feed.

The argument was that the BBC haven't reported leavers getting abuse, they have routinely and I have listened to many many interviews on the radio.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Was posted by Radio 5 Live and is an interview with a young leave voter and the abuse he has received. Read and listen to what you want to read.

The "mild" difference about the recent abuse outside parliament is that group are NOT your standard Brexit supporting group at all, more anarchic far right conspiracy theorists.

More akin to that fruitcake who abused Rees Mogg.

They aren't really anything to do with Brexit at all, but have just jumped on the bandwagon to raise publicity for their respective extreme views.

Agree with you Clapham. Oddballs taking advantage. Sadly I can see public disorder whatever the outcome

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Agree with you Clapham. Oddballs taking advantage. Sadly I can see public disorder whatever the outcome

I was having this discussion today, yes - but really worse than we experienced in the 80s/90s ?

We have short memories. Poll Tax Riots, Miners Strike, Anti Capitalism kick offs in Trafalgar Square.

My personal "favourite" was the pro Fox Hunting oddness in the city. I went up to observe in genuine interest because that was a weird one for London.

I observed a lot of waxed jackets drinking in Whitehall, whilst their manual labour had been sent along to have a skirmish with the Met.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It's the BBCs feed.

The argument was that the BBC haven't reported leavers getting abuse, they have routinely and I have listened to many many interviews on the radio.

Noted. I was referring to GT49ers claim that Twitter links “aren’t worth the cyber space they take up”.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Yes but only 1 side is allowed name calling. Always errs on the losers

Is this the future of the U.K. my pensioner friends ? You've got what you voted for. Make it positive.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
If you are an MP and you are pushing for the UK to remain in the EU, which like it or not IS against the wishes of the British people, you deserve all the harassment you get.

I think all these remain MP need to start getting used to it.

I would have posted this in the Brexit thread, but I have been kicked for it. Don't know why, the NSC Gestapo don't give reasons for their actions.

I probably upset one of the "connected" remain whiners.

Maybe we should have a Brexit thread, and ban all the remainers. After all, they are against democracy.

NOBODY deserves that, whatever side they are on. The people doing things like that are just mindless thugs, whichever side they are on. It is frighteningly reminiscent of 1930s Germany.

And for a philosophical point...... "what is democracy? Discuss."

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
I didn't realise you'd been banned, I thought you had stopped posting again in order not to look foolish again :shrug:

But now you're back on another thread, have you found out what the WTO default tariff is yet for the $1M that the company you own imports each year ???

Nope. We no longer import that much now as from 1st January, as we have a UK based supplier for most stock, and whilst I know they will have to pay the import duties, I am not in the slightest bit worried, just as I wasn't about all our planes being grounded on 29th March.

Technically, yes planes should be grounded as we will out of the UK so are not covered by their "deal" any longer, but the aviation authority will tick a few boxes, temporary solutions will be put in place, and we will carry on come 30th March as if nothing happened.

Why did/will this take place in the aviation industry, because they knew if they grounded our planes, we would ground most of the North Atlantic flights, and most of Ireland's flights, and as outdated and as corrupt as the EU model, they are not stupid, and knew by sticking to strict rules on aviation, they would damage themselves, just as bad as they would damage us. The result, a temporary solution was found, that allows things to continue for a fixed time whilst we sign the contracts and move the necessary laws over to the UK. Net result = no changes to flights come 30th March.

I believe it will the same with trade. Whilst everyone is making noises that our trade will crash on the 30th March, it is in no ones interests for this to happen, and something will be in place to allow us to continue on 30th March with a no deal Brexit, just as it is now. Now you don't agree with that, just as some people were as convinced planes would be grounded, some are convinced trade tariffs will shoot up on 30th March. I don't think so. Something will be put in place in the event of a "no deal" because its in everyone's interests to keep trading as we are now. It will harm everyone if we go to default WTO tariffs on 30th March. Just as with aviation, it will not be allowed to happened, by all sides. But Time will tell.

Some were convinced we could not set up trade deals whilst in the EU, and then Switzerland announces there's. I am convinced there are many more close to being signed off. Even Trump said if we leave with the PMs botched deal, that might risk our trade deal with the US. So that would suggest we are negotiating with them already.

Now I know you don't agree with that. You will call me names and label me foolish. Great. That's your way, but as I say, time will tell.

I hope we leave on 29th March with no deal. I don't think we will, I think they EU will back down and give us what they need to to scrape the PMs deal through. I hope they don't. But if we do, whilst a lot of remainers will run around in a blind panic, I don't think it will make much difference to the average person for long period of time, and when we finally see changes come through, they will be positive.

Bottom line is no one knows for sure what will happen. But I am not going to pay too much attention to the "experts" who failed to predicted the great crash of 2008, told us if we vote to leave we will go straight into a recession, and that they £/$ would go 1-1 . I give the British economy a little more hope than that! I know you will not agree with that, and you will probably call me thick for foolish for having a different opinion to you, but the truth is you don't know for sure what will happen, I don't know for sure what will happen, no one knows for sure what will happen, but I am fairly convinced as much as the EU puffs out its chest and play politics, they are in as much need as us to make this work for everyone as we are. I think the EU are 100% certain we will leave without a deal, I think they will soften their stance against us over night. I would not be surprised in the slightest if they didn't continue to allow us to continue trading under current terms for a period as a "temporary" just as the aviation industry has. Why? Because its in everyones interest too. But I think one thing is for certain, it will go all the way to the wire!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
So the issue with Rees Mogg and his children was also just abhorrent. I think most remainers think that was acceptable

Where on earth do you reach the conclusion that most remainers thought that was ok? Personally, as a remainer I don't think it was and I would suspect that most feel the same way, just as I would imagine that most that voted for Brexit wouldn't support the treatment of Anna Soubry by some morons in hi vis jackets!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here