Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Do we really have to take this Orwellian s**t from our club ? remember we are the customer

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
PLB only generate £3.80 from matchday income for every £100 the club brings in. Still seem to do okay in terms of where they finish in the table though under TFC Eddie Howe.

Premier League 2018 Matchday as % of total.png

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Seems to me the club's expanded too fast, from less than 10k proper fans sat huddled inside a branded binliner open to the elements in the pouring rain at Withdean, week after week, month after month, season after season, to the current situation whereby we've got 25k highly entitled STH (with another 7k waiting in the wings) and sundry other 'customers' struggling to find very much meaningful to moan about.

Bunch of happy fans without a care, my arse.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Are the following numbers correct over the lifetime of the Amex?

Club officials projecting a bottle into the crowd: 1
Fans projecting a bottle onto the pitch: 0

We've had, at a guess, somewhere between 3,500,000 and 4,000,000 fans at the Amex to date.
There have been at least two fans projecting bottles on to the pitch when I have been there. Not me, I must add!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Matchday income isn't limited to gate receipts though, is it? There's no way Man U would be getting 5x what we get on a stadium that's only just over twice as big.

United's matchday income includes European gams and receipts from concerts held at OT too, so likely to have closer to 30 days when generating income compared to 21-22 at the Amex. The average spend from a corporate at OT is far higher than at the Amex, and they have about 20,000 tickets for each match on general sale, which are sold for much higher prices than paid by a STH.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
If you had travelled away at all, you would know that these rules (and more) as overbearing as they may be, have applied to other stadia/grounds for a while now.

PB is not a tyrannical headmaster creating new ways to oppress you, give your head a wobble.

"killed my love for the club", seriously, what melodramatic bullshit.

This with knobs on. Do we have an above average number of moany fans with an over inflated sense of entitlement, or is it just a legacy of the war years that any change in the club is treated with an irrational level of suspicion about the motives?

Killed my love for the club FFS; there's never been a better time to be a BHA fan.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I imagine this is because of recent bottle throwing in the pitch and the league/clubs trying to stop it.

Spurs have introduced something along the same lines.

Saying that, it’s rare for a club to allow bottle tops anyway?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
What if Tony Bloom was putting his name to this stuff ?

I reckon TB could have said what needed to be said in a couple of sentences, not 4 paragraphs.

There is a way to speak to people who love their football club, and that email isn't it. Be straight, honest and to the point.

I'm really not that bothered about the whole bottle / flask thing, but don't insult my intelligence that there is some kind of real danger and sudden escalation of risk from plastic bottles and flasks. Find the whole thing rather condescending and just a tad cynical.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
United's matchday income includes European gams and receipts from concerts held at OT too, so likely to have closer to 30 days when generating income compared to 21-22 at the Amex. The average spend from a corporate at OT is far higher than at the Amex, and they have about 20,000 tickets for each match on general sale, which are sold for much higher prices than paid by a STH.

Plus clubs of that ilk have a sizable number of daytrippers, plastics and tourists to their home games, making a rare pilgrimage to the stadium from some far-flung part of the country (or world). Those people spend FORTUNES in the club superstore on matchdays. You see them in their seats clutching multiple carrier bags from the shop.

At the Emirates last season, I ponced a free ticket to one of the corporate hospitality suites in that middle tier of the stadium. The place was FESTOONED with said tourists, surrounded by their club shop bags, mostly watching the game through their cameraphones.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm kind of apathetic about it all because I don't attend games very often anymore.

I used to be somewhat of a super fan in Withdean years, must have missed a handful of home games throughout the whole time we were there.

If I did still attend every game, I would be very pissed off about the direction the stadium is heading.

I'm not motivated to attend games, paying a fortune for a rather sterile atmosphere, when I can watch every game at home for free... but if the atmosphere was better, I'd definitely find myself going more again. Sadly, I think those times are long gone - airport style security, corporate nonsense, overpriced food & drink... not for me.

Still love the Albion, won't miss a game, but would love the club to be "different" and more progressive with the way it treats its fans... I'd probably start going more again if we were.

How do you know the atmosphere is sterile or good, if you're not there? The atmosphere can vary from stand to stand in any given game.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Barber has already killed my love for the Club (and I sometimes wonder why Superfan Tony is letting him do it) but I still love CH & the Team. Also Barber is a coward choosing to send these rules out like this rather than facing fans at a forum. A bit like a wartime General. Safely behind the lines.

Incidentally we broke our dogs Albion plastic food bowl this morning. Initially thought about getting a replacement Saturday while there but thought Stewards may confiscate it on entry in case having bought it I would choose to lob it frisbee fashion from my elevated seat. Something else for the banned list? Will get the pooch a cheaper option elsewhere now.

Or you could go into the shop after the game.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Finally, we are also aware of a very small number of fans who chose to continue to ignore stadium rules by bringing flasks into the stadium, or by concealing bottle tops for use later. Anyone doing this is liable to ejection from the stadium and further stadium and ticketing sanctions. The club will not issue any further warnings.

When I got this email it made my blood boil . The very minor incidents involving a few Chelsea fans are being used to basically oppress us further . Okay there are bigger things going on in the world today but I am angry as all these decisions are more revenue focused than related to safety issues . Brighton happily serve expensive alcohol to pissed up idiots who've had too much already but won't let an OAP bring in a flask of tea . Hypocrites.

It's as though a major incident has happened at a game . Has it ? No . Now we can't bring bottle tops or flasks . Have they completely lost the plot ? They are threatening to ban people who bring flasks . Have they gone mad ? Take a step back and look at what you are actually saying for goodness sake . It just creates a bad feeling . " the club will not issue any further warnings ? " Or what - you going to line us up against the wall and shoot us ? It sounds like that .

Remember we are the customers - you are the lucky recipients of our time, loyalty and money . Without us you are nothing . So stop treating us like naughty children and treat us like customers .

I asked my Dad about this - he's a fairly level-headed bloke.

His solution to the flask issue was quite simple. The club should state that anyone found with a flask containing any
alcohol will be ejected and banned for life. No questions asked.

What's wrong with this? I don't see anything. You can even do random tests if you like. Why the Draconian ban on everyone?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Unfortunately due to PL money, we're no longer that important. Club can survive without fans now.

Sadly true, and it changes the focus and feel of things a lot. The "all in it together" feeling of poorer days has been lost, possibly forever. The damage comes when the cycle of football turns and we are a division or two down needing loyal fans, only to find they have pissed a lot of them off along the way, and the "customers", "newbies" and "tourist" fans aren't looking twice at a League One fixture vs Dagenham & Redbridge.

Dangerous game.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
How do you know the atmosphere is sterile or good, if you're not there? The atmosphere can vary from stand to stand in any given game.

Yes, quite correct, especially in comparison when there were plenty of occasions when the atmosphere at Withdean (and the Goldstone) was as flat as a pancake.

Anyway, Big Barber is watching you.

el punal

I think we worked out you were not an expert, rather someone with an opinion.

How about looking at what "terrorist" are up to...knife attacks ...cars and lorries running into people. So to use your argument, as we are all going to be killed by these people, why are we not searching everyone when they get in the train, or busses? Why are they letting cars and vans into village way or along the a27 on match days? The searching to be honest for those of us who have or work in London is an absolute joke and wouldn't spot anything by gently " patting" arms and legs. My mate had finished playing darts, and jumped on the bus to the Amex. He forgot he had his pack of darts in his pocket and the steward missed it...he only remembered half way through the match when looking for a coin to Throw!

If you want to subjugate a society, tell them that terrorists want to kill them all in the most horrible way...simples.

Someone with an opinion? Exactly. In line with the majority of people who post on here. :shrug:

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
This with knobs on. Do we have an above average number of moany fans with an over inflated sense of entitlement, or is it just a legacy of the war years that any change in the club is treated with an irrational level of suspicion about the motives?

Killed my love for the club FFS; there's never been a better time to be a BHA fan.

Summed up perfectly. I'm going with "over inflated sense of entitlement"... will there be a poll?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here