Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bottle Top BAN!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Thought this has been the case for years. :shrug:

To be fair the average (non-Arsenal) EPL Manager is unlikely to luzz a bottle of water on the pitch, whereas SOME fans would and you can't police for thos e that might and those that might not, been the rule for years!

Couldn't do it at B'Muff, Robbie Williams at St Mary's (had to take the Mrs honest), Wembley, Wembley Arena, Apollo Theatre, and many other places, it's security not profit. (Think about mixing liquids together, it's been done before)

Sorry, I was referring to the Albion!

I buy a bottle at the ground for pretty much every game, sometimes two, as I find my voice going in the North Stand. Without a lid, that bottle is without doubt getting knocked over and spilt because it happens every bloody week but thankfully has a lid on it. So.. that's lost custom for the club I guess. Ridiculous.

Me too. Normally the water doesn't get drunk until half time, sometimes never and I take it away with me.

Taking the top off when I buy it will put an end to this.

And from where I sit in WSU row V I couldn't throw it onto the pitch if I tried!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Sorry, I was referring to the Albion!

Yes, my point is I think you'll find it's more to do with general security than making money, hence you can get water in the ground but not take liquids into the ground. No doubt there are commercial benefits but I think the prime reason is security.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Imagine it is your job to ensure safety in the stadium, and you are legally responsible for taking any reasonable measures to safeguard everyone within it. The risk of someone luzzing a full bottle and that causing injury has been identified, if there is a reasonable way of reducing the risk, you have to take it. Remove caps from bottles and the risk is reduced, you have done your job. Then you are made aware that some people bring caps with them to get around your safety measures, if you do nothing with that information and someone gets hit with a full capped bottle, you are open to a few problems coming your way. If you had issued a statement as the club have, and instructed stewards to remove bottle caps if found, you are probably going to be ok.

Okay, fair enough. Let's stretch it a bit further. As has already been suggested on this thread, coins cause many more problems at the football. Surely coins of any sort should also fall into that category.

I am all for mitigating against risk, but there has to be a line and it is slowly moving uncomfortably towards a place where individual choice and liberty are being eroded.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
No - Toblerone are to be banned as well apparently - far too threatening and some serious damage could be done. Marsh mallows and crisps should be ok though.
Crisps have sharp edges, and marsh mallows though soft and squidgey are full of sugar so could give someone diabetes.

You have been warned.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Nope

It hasn't been the rule for years, no.

'My loyalty is being severely tested with this Sh*t.' Exactly how I feel.

Ridiculous isn't it? Supposedly the best years to be an Albion fan and the club has become so petty about flasks and a drink of water.

Exactly. Obviously this is a fairly small issue but it's these incremental things that add up to making the (very expensive) experience just that little bit less enjoyable. And none of them seem to affect the people making these OTT decisions (unless perhaps they have been banned from wearing ties in case they run on to the pitch to try and strangle a player).

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Okay, fair enough. Let's stretch it a bit further. As has already been suggested on this thread, coins cause many more problems at the football. Surely coins of any sort should also fall into that category.

I am all for mitigating against risk, but there has to be a line and it is slowly moving uncomfortably towards a place where individual choice and liberty are being eroded.

Removing money from supporters would be difficult to count as reasonable, taking the top off of a disposable bottle is reasonable.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
West Ham.jpg
This security 'segregation team' bloke was stood in front of me for the entire game at West Ham. I tried to hold a conversation with him but got no response. At one point I had to catch him as he fell over asleep!
But worse than making me stand the entire game, he had a flask with something hot inside.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Does anyone recall being allowed to invade the pitch when we got promoted, or was the official statement that the club had to make telling us all it was not permitted?

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I queried this very rule at Wembley and was told that it was in case the ground had to be evacuated, they didn’t want capped bottles on the floor, where they could be a trip hazard, or people could step on them and damage their ankles/ legs, causing the swift evacuation of the stadium to be compromised. Yeah, I thought ,more likely to be so they can sell their vastly overpriced own products. I just told them I had a medical condition that meant I had to take tablets, and needed the water to take them, they let me take in my own capped water.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Does anyone recall being allowed to invade the pitch when we got promoted, or was the official statement that the club had to make telling us all it was not permitted?

That's a one-off situation. This petty ban affects anyone with a bottle of water or pop every single game. I am just glad my boys are not little anymore, in the summer in the East, it's like a greenhouse and they'd have spilt their drinks, every time.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
But the coins are far more likely to hurt someone. I think it's intolerable that coins are allowed in.

Disposable bottle cap, reasonable to remove. Your bus fare home, not reasonable to remove. I think you could have worked that out for yourself if you tried.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here