Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bottle Top BAN!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Not so. When thrown, bottles settle into a trajectory of turning rapidly end-to-end. This is what makes them dangerous when full, as I can attest to first hand, as if the end hits you on the head it'll do far more damage than the larger, softer sides, but it means they empty rapidly if no top is on. Also, what water is left when it hits will be rapidly forced out, meaning less likelihood of serious injury.

Regarding coins and other potential missiles, it depends where you draw the line, taking into account the practicalities of policing any controls. It's relatively easy to stop people taking larger, visible items in, or keeping an eye out for bottles with lids on, but not to have everyone empty their pockets of coins, lighters etc. Also, although there have been recent incidents of coin and lighter throwing, they're less common than throwing bottles, so it also come down to likelihood. Coins is a non-starter anyway, until we become cashless, as even if you didn't take any in, what do you do once you splash the paper and need change?

Exactly. Everybody has a legit need to carry around cash. And even if they were to ban anything other than folding cash, they’d then need to price everything sold in the concourses in multiples of £5. It’s even less practical than banning shoes in case we get some Arab tourists that want to show their displeasure in the most extreme way in their culture. Banning sealed bottles is however quite easy, and it doesn’t really cause a huge amount of inconvenience.

I remember someone threw their mobile phone at a Chesterfield player in that heated game up at Saltergate back in 2000. That’s probably the stupidest thing I’ve seem thrown at a football match for a couple of reasons.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
The biggest problem with this stupid rule? It won't work.

Yes, law-abiding people who want to use a bottle to hold liquid and to drink from will not have a bottle top. So what? They shouldn't be the people who are being targeted.

But criminal-minded people who want to use a bottle to throw at someone or to hold explosives? They will not be inconvenienced, because they will carry a bottle top with them and will replace it before throwing/bombing.

So what good does the rule do? None at all.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

Yes, law-abiding people who want to use a bottle to hold liquid and to drink from will not have a bottle top. So what? They shouldn't be the people who are being targeted.

But criminal-minded people who want to use a bottle to throw at someone or to hold explosives? They will not be inconvenienced, because they will carry a bottle top with them and will replace it before throwing/bombing.

Agreed. And therefore there must be some other reason that the club are doing it. I can think of two off the top of my head:

1 they’re morons
2 they want to try to mitigate against someone bringing a case against them in the event that something bad happens.

I know which I think is more likely. Do you have an opinion?

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

Yes, anyone totally intent on causing mayhem for whatever reason, will find ways to hide a bottle top, but the club needs to be squeaky clean with regard to being seen to doing their utmost to guarantee fan safety. Yes, it is all seemingly petty, but these rules reflect the age in which we live, sadly. You could argue that potentially all rules are pointless, as some folk will break them, but it doesn't mean that the rule itself is pointless necessarily. I imagine that everyone breaks the 30 mph rule, probably on a regular basis, even if marginally, when they can -but very few would say that it is a pointless rule.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Surely the football on the pitch gets booted into the crowd far more often and represents a far bigger threat to the supporters!

I think the match should therefore in future only see a size 5 fabric ball used or as we're by the coast maybe a beach ball?

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Surely the football on the pitch gets booted into the crowd far more often and represents a far bigger threat to the supporters!

I think the match should therefore in future only see a size 5 fabric ball used or as we're by the coast maybe a beach ball?

I've been hit in the face / head twice at football (so perhaps the bottle near miss thing proves the '3rd time lucky adage'). First time was coins at Selhurst in 1985 (that really hurt!), second time was at Lancing's Culver Road ground when Dan Harding, playing for the Reserves, booted a clearance right into my face whilst I was taking a sip of coffee (that really hurt too!). Dan did apologise, and to be fair it was a cracking tackle (yes, we are talking about the same Dan Harding).

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I got hit my coins and concrete on the east terrace thrown by Leeds fans, late 80's I guess, a gang of them wearing WWII German helmets with SS on the side, I think they were just trying to get our attention for a friendly chat.

I had a little bottle of wine at the Chelsea match, lid left on, and took it into the North stand to sip as I watched. Very civilised.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Should be ok. I am taking bottle in and friend taking the top. Also aiming to tape top under seat for future use.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Why does Hughton get to have a cap?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
to resurect this old topic, first experince of the bottle top ban, with the lad so have bag with a snack and drink. get asked to check the bag, is there any bottle... yes... removes bottle cap to my grumbling, with "just following the rules guv"... then waved us in.

didnt actually bother to search me. :ffsparr:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
to resurect this old topic, first experince of the bottle top ban, with the lad so have bag with a snack and drink. get asked to check the bag, is there any bottle... yes... removes bottle cap to my grumbling, with "just following the rules guv"... then waved us in.

didnt actually bother to search me. :ffsparr:

That happens to me every game as if they have done their job by throwing the top away

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Was served a bottle of water in 1901 today, complete with functioning bottle top ��

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here