Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bottle Top BAN!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I had a Christmas PIE flung at me at the Arsenal game, I was picking stuffing out of my nose for DAYS

Your Lester Piggot impression made Christmas for a lot of people Ernest.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Not sure you're aware, but we don't ALL do that either. Those precautions are in place because of perceived terrorist threats.

Ok.....I'll bite!

a) What terrorist threat is being averted by the removal of tops from plastic bottles?

b) Why is a plastic bottle with a top on a terrorist threat now when it clearly wasn't two weeks ago?

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Ok.....I'll bite!

a) What terrorist threat is being averted by the removal of tops from plastic bottles?

b) Why is a plastic bottle with a top on a terrorist threat now when it clearly wasn't two weeks ago?

OK... I'll bite...

A plastic water/soft drink bottle could be use to mix the chemicals required for an explosive or incendiary bomb. By removing the top, you interfer with the the ability of the nefarious individual to comprehensively mix the chemical components in the bottle.

However, removing the rid from a bottle makes it less dangerous when lobbed at someone and will allow it to compress if trampled by someone not looking where they are putting their feet, such as during a terrorist incident caused by the mixing of chemicals in a plastic bottle by someone who smuggled in his own bottle top in his underpants.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Thought this has been the case for years. :shrug:

This. End of thread. If someone gets hit by a full water bottle from the upper tier it could do serious damage. Without a lid, the contents come out. Not so hard to understand.

Still, another 200 pages to go no doubt...

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
This is devastating news for the people employed to remove the bottle tops from the players drinks bottles , there may have to be a major rethink on this as it's not fair in this day and age a player should be made to remove his own top whilst having to think about kicking a ball as well .

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
This. End of thread. If someone gets hit by a full water bottle from the upper tier it could do serious damage. Without a lid, the contents come out. Not so hard to understand.

Still, another 200 pages to go no doubt...
'This. End of thread. '

Why do people do this? We don't all share the same opinion. It's about relative risk, not just possible risk. End of thread. Or maybe not.

Will be funny to see the Amex awash with spilled water all over the concourses and seats. Can probably save a bit of money on cleaners maybe

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
If someone threw a bottle of water from the upper tier without a lid, barely any of the contents would have emptied by the time it hit its target.

Besides, as has been mentioned numerous times, there are other items which are permitted, such as coins, which could potentially do even more damage if thrown from that height.

Not so. When thrown, bottles settle into a trajectory of turning rapidly end-to-end. This is what makes them dangerous when full, as I can attest to first hand, as if the end hits you on the head it'll do far more damage than the larger, softer sides, but it means they empty rapidly if no top is on. Also, what water is left when it hits will be rapidly forced out, meaning less likelihood of serious injury.

Regarding coins and other potential missiles, it depends where you draw the line, taking into account the practicalities of policing any controls. It's relatively easy to stop people taking larger, visible items in, or keeping an eye out for bottles with lids on, but not to have everyone empty their pockets of coins, lighters etc. Also, although there have been recent incidents of coin and lighter throwing, they're less common than throwing bottles, so it also come down to likelihood. Coins is a non-starter anyway, until we become cashless, as even if you didn't take any in, what do you do once you splash the paper and need change?

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Not so. When thrown, bottles settle into a trajectory of turning rapidly end-to-end. This is what makes them dangerous when full, as I can attest to first hand, as if the end hits you on the head it'll do far more damage than the larger, softer sides, but it means they empty rapidly if no top is on. Also, what water is left when it hits will be rapidly forced out, meaning less likelihood of serious injury.

Regarding coins and other potential missiles, it depends where you draw the line, taking into account the practicalities of policing any controls. It's relatively easy to stop people taking larger, visible items in, or keeping an eye out for bottles with lids on, but not to have everyone empty their pockets of coins, lighters etc. Also, although there have been recent incidents of coin and lighter throwing, they're less common than throwing bottles, so it also come down to likelihood. Coins is a non-starter anyway, until we become cashless, as even if you didn't take any in, what do you do once you splash the paper and need change?[/QUOTE

Duplicate

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Regarding coins and other potential missiles, it depends where you draw the line, taking into account the practicalities of policing any controls. It's relatively easy to stop people taking larger, visible items in, or keeping an eye out for bottles with lids on, but not to have everyone empty their pockets of coins, lighters etc. Also, although there have been recent incidents of coin and lighter throwing, they're less common than throwing bottles, so it also come down to likelihood. Coins is a non-starter anyway, until we become cashless, as even if you didn't take any in, what do you do once you splash the paper and need change?

Yes I agree they are not going to make us empty our pockets out of coins and a bottle top :whistle:

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Also, although there have been recent incidents of coin and lighter throwing, they're less common than throwing bottles, so it also come down to likelihood.

Any stats for this? I must say I have seen more coin strikes than bottle strikes over the years, so where is the data to back this up?

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Any stats for this? I must say I have seen more coin strikes than bottle strikes over the years, so where is the data to back this up?

Just going from what I've seen reported recently, no hard stats. I agree that historically I've seen more coin incidents first hand, especially back in the bad old days, but not so many recently (reported anyway). I think throwing coins takes a hooligan-type premeditated mentality. You know there is a serious chance of really hurting someone, you have to get them out of a pocket etc. Throwing a bottle that's already in your hand in a hissy fit moment is more of a thing now, I think anyway. I doubt whoever threw the one from WSU that nearly hit me was a nailed-on hoolie, probably just a bit of a bellend who momentarily lost it.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004

Indeed. I demand not only the statistical data but also the aerodynamics proving and physics linked to the bottle throwing. I ask want graphs showing trajectory predictions of those 'luzzed' from the WSU.

As a protest tomorrow I will be attending dressed as a giant bottle top.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Just going from what I've seen reported recently, no hard stats. I agree that historically I've seen more coin incidents first hand, especially back in the bad old days, but not so many recently (reported anyway). I think throwing coins takes a hooligan-type premeditated mentality. You know there is a serious chance of really hurting someone, you have to get them out of a pocket etc. Throwing a bottle that's already in your hand in a hissy fit moment is more of a thing now, I think anyway. I doubt whoever threw the one from WSU that nearly hit me was a nailed-on hoolie, probably just a bit of a bellend who momentarily lost it.

Had it hit and hospitalised you, I don't think you would have been quite so forgiving!

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Indeed. I demand not only the statistical data but also the aerodynamics proving and physics linked to the bottle throwing. I ask want graphs showing trajectory predictions of those 'luzzed' from the WSU.

As a protest tomorrow I will be attending dressed as a giant bottle top.

Lol. Own up, it was you wasn't it?

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
[/B]

Had it hit and hospitalised you, I don't think you would have been quite so forgiving!

I've had a few years to mellow over it. At the time I'd have stabbed the **** in the neck with the sharpened toothbrush I'd smuggled in up my arse if I'd caught them.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I've had a few years to mellow over it. At the time I'd have stabbed the **** in the neck with the sharpened toothbrush I'd smuggled in up my arse if I'd caught them.

But sitting on a sharpened toothbrush might have ben far more painful than the bottle hit . .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here