Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bottle Top BAN!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Imagine it is your job to ensure safety in the stadium, and you are legally responsible for taking any reasonable measures to safeguard everyone within it. The risk of someone luzzing a full bottle and that causing injury has been identified, if there is a reasonable way of reducing the risk, you have to take it. Remove caps from bottles and the risk is reduced, you have done your job. Then you are made aware that some people bring caps with them to get around your safety measures, if you do nothing with that information and someone gets hit with a full capped bottle, you are open to a few problems coming your way. If you had issued a statement as the club have, and instructed stewards to remove bottle caps if found, you are probably going to be ok.

Afraid it's a rubbish argument as lobbing change at players will cause more injury and they aren't going to ban supporters taking that into the ground.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Normally I`m with the club on these sorts of matters but the amount I`m paying for my season ticket I don`t buy Beer or soft drinks at the inflated prices in the Stadium. We always take water,sometimes another soft drink to drink during game. The idea that we still can but without the tops on is ridiculous. No one can argue that a plastic bottle top is in any way a dangerous missile. There are numerous things I can think of that we can still take in that are more dangerous than a plastic Bottle Top. Can the club please therefore provide bottle holder on every stadium seat to hold open full bottles.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
View attachment 103604

This hooligan element must be stopped before it ruins the modern game!

There are some seriously misguided twats at the club by the look of it - who on earth thinks it is reasonable to threaten stadium and ticket sanctions (i.e. ban) for concealing a bottle top or bringing a flask in.

Throwing a full bottle yes but concealing bottle tops? Really?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
...Please leave your shoes at the entrance

14bush5_600.jpg

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Removing money from supporters would be difficult to count as reasonable, taking the top off of a disposable bottle is reasonable.

Is it? For it to be reasonable, the benefits need to outweigh the costs/inconvenience. How many counts of bottles being thrown on the Amex pitch have there been? How many people are going to be inconvenienced by this? There is now an increased likelihood of spillages (increasing slip risks, cleaning costs). What about the risk, particularly in the hotter months of issues around dehydration, particularly kids who will be prone to accidental spillages (making 'just buy a[nother] drink from the concourse' costly, perhaps prohibitively so) and elderly for whom mobility issues make going back and forth to the refreshment stands an inconvenience. It goes against the clubs stated aims to be environmentally friendly and reduce single use plastics who will reuse a plastic bottle with no cap? There's also bad will - look at the responses in this thread, and the previous thread on flasks being banned.

What is the benefit? People are stopped from doing something that they've done so infrequently I can't remember it happening. I can remember a pie being thrown - if they stop people taking beer to their seats why isn't it just as easy to stop them taking their pies there? I remember coins being thrown. I remember empty crisp packets blowing across the pitch. I remember a sex toy being thrown on the pitch.

I don't recall a bottle being thrown. I don't claim it never happens, but I don't remember it happening at the amex. So is it really reasonable to inconvenience so many people for such a minor risk?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Imagine it is your job to ensure safety in the stadium, and you are legally responsible for taking any reasonable measures to safeguard everyone within it. The risk of someone luzzing a full bottle and that causing injury has been identified, if there is a reasonable way of reducing the risk, you have to take it. Remove caps from bottles and the risk is reduced, you have done your job.

failed in job becuase there is not been a proper risk assessment considering the likelihood of incident or damaged done, weighed against the inconvience. as already pointed out we let in coins that could and have been thrown and caused actual injury. banning bottle tops while allowing keys indicates this is not lead by risk assessment.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Imagine it is your job to ensure safety in the stadium, and you are legally responsible for taking any reasonable measures to safeguard everyone within it. The risk of someone luzzing a full bottle and that causing injury has been identified, if there is a reasonable way of reducing the risk, you have to take it. Remove caps from bottles and the risk is reduced, you have done your job. Then you are made aware that some people bring caps with them to get around your safety measures, if you do nothing with that information and someone gets hit with a full capped bottle, you are open to a few problems coming your way. If you had issued a statement as the club have, and instructed stewards to remove bottle caps if found, you are probably going to be ok.

Imagine that everyone has realised that your clubs commercial revenue figures look poor compared to smaller clubs such as Burnley, Watford and Palace - what on earth are you going to do? Every penny helps. (This is a tongue in cheek comment meant with no seriousness at all, not even in the slightest. I fully appreciate that this measure and club statement has only been released for the benefit of my safety and the safety of all other customers and I salute the cub for it)

torchieboy

Jul 11, 2003
felpham, near bognor regis
I threw A cheeseburger at SOMEONE at THE EVERTON match and IT hit HIM and COVERED him WITH mayo AND cheese. Great SHOT my friends SAID. HOPE to do IT again at LIVERPOOL match. MY mates said I should work FOR southern FAIL, I SAID I can't AS I hit my TARGETS !!!!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I tend to buy my cold refreshments at the Amex in pint shape, so I’m actually quite surprised that this is even new. As away fans we’ve been having the bottle tops removed at point of sale since we were in the 3rd division, so at least 19 years!

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Obviously knives and forks all have to go from the 1901 club. Or are those customers less likely than us plebs to throw things. Come on PB, safety is safety.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
It would be interesting to find out just what their issue is with caps on bottles. Is it lobability, contents, etc.? It they explained their reasoning then at least we could try and understand it.

Next chance you get, take a capped bottle full of water outside and luzz it as far as you can. Then refill the same bottle but leave the cap off and try again. Then dry yourself off and report back the respective luzability results to NSC.

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
Clearly supporters should be required to wear safety footwear and 'Bob the Builder' hard hats to reduce the risk of litigation.

In fact, I'm sure I remember some Hibs fans wearing these painted green and white at Ibrox years ago in case they got stotted with a can of Mcewans chucked from the high terrace.

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
I’ve taken top off the 500 ml plastic bottle and want to be hands free. any suggestions? The best I can think of is wrapping the bottle in foil (assisted by elastic band) and putting in my inside jacket pocket. If you see someone on Saturday who looks like he’s peed himself it’s due to experimental failure not Liverpool

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Next chance you get, take a capped bottle full of water outside and luzz it as far as you can. Then refill the same bottle but leave the cap off and try again. Then dry yourself off and report back the respective luzability results to NSC.

Now plug the end of the bottle with tightly rolled paper from, say, a program and try a third time.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
failed in job becuase there is not been a proper risk assessment considering the likelihood of incident or damaged done, weighed against the inconvience. as already pointed out we let in coins that could and have been thrown and caused actual injury. banning bottle tops while allowing keys indicates this is not lead by risk assessment.

It is not reasonable to take possessions that people generally need upon them when they leave the house, such as Keys and money. The cap of a bottle is a disposable item. I am certain this is a risk assessment based decision.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Makes you wonder how we’ve possibly survived this long by allowing flasks in and turning a blind eye to these lid-carrying barbarians doesn’t it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here