Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Drink Driving

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Is drink driving one of those charges that you are already technically guilty before even appearing in court by the fact you've failed either a breath or blood test?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
One has to ask ....... why you asking ? Is it for a 'friend' ?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Is drink driving one of those charges that you are already technically guilty before even appearing in court by the fact you've failed either a breath or blood test?

Seriously, what do you think?

Unless there is a chance the samples were messed up, I can't see it any other way.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
interesting question and probably yes. think many motoring offenses dispense with "innocent till proven guilty", you go to court to prove some exception, excuse, mistaken identity, or plead circumstances for leniency.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
interesting question and probably yes. think many motoring offenses dispense with "innocent till proven guilty", you go to court to prove some exception, excuse, mistaken identity, or plead circumstances for leniency.

There are quite a few loopholes for lawyers to exploit

http://drinkdriveso.wpengine.com/avoiding-a-ban/defences/

Having said that, the only person who I know personally who has been banned for drink driving is a lawyer, so it's probably not easy to get off

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
To be fair she just wants to get this off her chest

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I absolutely loathe anyone who does this. Had a sister killed by a drink driver 20 years ago - got 4 years and was out in 16 months. There is NO excuse.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I'm not referring to any specific individual, but if anyone was arrogant or thick enough to plead not guilty in order to get a full trial and attract the media coverage that clearly it would bring, when or if they do get found guilty the Judge makes them pay the maximum amount of costs, then again if someone's allegedly on the verge of bankruptcy would they get legal aid for this sort of thing?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I'm not referring to any specific individual, but if anyone was arrogant or thick enough to plead not guilty in order to get a full trial and attract the media coverage that clearly it would bring, when or if they do get found guilty the Judge makes them pay the maximum amount of costs, then again if someone's allegedly on the verge of bankruptcy would they get legal aid for this sort of thing?

If you please guilty at the first opportunity, you are entitled to a discount for an early plea (usually a third). This would come off the fine (or community penalty/imprisonment) and the length of disqualification, which is set down in law and is dependent on the reading of alcohol in breath/blood/urine.
You are also entitled, if pleading, or found, guilty to go on the drink driver rehabilitation program which reduces the length of your disqualification by 25%.
If found guilty after a full trial, prosecution will ask for much higher costs, to reflect the extra time spent on the case; when I was doing it it was, IIRC, £80 costs if pleading guilty and £400 if found guilty after a trial (there is, of course, nothing to pay if found not guilty).
I can only remember sitting on one trial for Excess Alcohol and his argument was he'd hit a car, driven home and between arriving and the police turning up 25 minutes later to arrest him, had downed four or five cans of cider.

As for legal aid, very unlikely to get it but you are entitled to free advice at the police station and can usually get a word with the duty solicitor at court if there is one.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

It is also the only offence that you could commit without knowing that you were. To explain you could be out drinking and watching the match in a pub this evening and get a taxi home there isnt a person alive who can tell you when without taking another test you are guaranteed to be under the limit to drive tomorrow. Many people have ideas of sleep etc but nobody can GUARANTEE when.,

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
We made a big point in our safety moments at work before Xmas in emphasising the time in takes to get alcohol out of the system and be safe to drive. I think if you have 4 pints of Stella between 9 and 11pm - it’s up to midday before your alcohol free. Partly because beer / lager is now generally 3-4 units per pint as alcohol levels are much higher than the 3%. I expect a lot of us have not fully thought this through when driving the next day.

Anyone as far as I’m concerned there is no excuse and we should move to Scottish levels - with the new law no one I know has a pint and drives - big cultural change

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here