Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: OT - Redundancy

0 Not allowed!
    First the positive - I was made redundant a few years ago and ended up taking a short term job that led to a different career path I wouldn't have otherwise been on and it has worked out well for me.

However, that was a 30% reduction in my previous salary so you sometimes have to take a few steps back to move forward again but my reasoning was that some income is better than none and I was only on that reduced salary for a short time before proving my worth in my new role and getting increases.

To keep sane, as others have said you need to keep a routine and treat your job hunting like a job. Remember to get up at a proper time, take time looking for jobs in all sorts of places - don't just wait for an agency to call you. Even little things make a difference - if you are usually clean shaven then keep shaving, don't just get lazy as you don't feel you have to shave.

Also, try and find something to do during the days to break up the job hunting. I watched a few Albion reserve games, I would go racing at Plumpton and Fontwell (doing tiny bets at the bookies for interest), meet up for lunch with friends or old colleagues to keep up adult conversation.

You could even look to volunteer to help a charity during some of the time. It will keep you occupied, do some good but also looks good on a CV.

Good luck
    Sheís the main man in the office in the city
    And she treats me like Iím just another lackey
    But I can put a tennis racket up against my face
    And pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Members

1 Not allowed!
      Thanks for all the advice guys, knew nsc would help, some really good tips in there and I am planning on starting afresh tomorrow!

For those asking I have a wife, five year old and mortgage which does complicate things somewhat but Iím sure it will work out! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      We hate Baltimore Palace and we hate Baltimore Palace, we hate Baltimore Palace and we hate Baltimore Palace, we hate Baltimore Palace and we hate Baltimore Palace, WE ARE THE BALTIMORE PALACE HATERS, we hate palace, we hate palace

0 Not allowed!
      What do you/did you do for a living? Did you enjoy it? Do you have contacts who could help you into similar work?
      Looking back on my last 33 years of work I was always 'headhunted' even though I probably didn't realise it including a redundancy until I decided to work for myself back in 2007. If you have a genuine skill/qualification/experience you should pick up work pretty quickly (given contacts).
      Best Wishes in any case.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by jakarta View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      What do you/did you do for a living? Did you enjoy it? Do you have contacts who could help you into similar work?
      Looking back on my last 33 years of work I was always 'headhunted' even though I probably didn't realise it including a redundancy until I decided to work for myself back in 2007. If you have a genuine skill/qualification/experience you should pick up work pretty quickly (given contacts).
      Best Wishes in any case.
      Data analyst and yeah I did enjoy it, Iíve tried asking around contacts but nobody seems to be hiring at present, sure it will pick up though, thanks!

We hate Baltimore Palace and we hate Baltimore Palace, we hate Baltimore Palace and we hate Baltimore Palace, we hate Baltimore Palace and we hate Baltimore Palace, WE ARE THE BALTIMORE PALACE HATERS, we hate palace, we hate palace

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Cullip4 View Post
      Data analyst and yeah I did enjoy it, I’ve tried asking around contacts but nobody seems to be hiring at present, sure it will pick up though, thanks!

If you haven't done so already, update your LinkedIn profile and set your profile to show you are available. Despite not looking for a new job at the moment, I have had a few pulls from people on there recently asking if I would be interested in roles.
      Sheís the main man in the office in the city
      And she treats me like Iím just another lackey
      But I can put a tennis racket up against my face
      And pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      If you can drive at least that is one useful skill.

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Cullip4 View Post
      Data analyst and yeah I did enjoy it, I’ve tried asking around contacts but nobody seems to be hiring at present, sure it will pick up though, thanks!

Very Best of Luck for 2019, don't worry my experience is that you will find something pretty quickly which will do in the short term to pay the bills even if it isn't quite right before you find the right job in the long term.
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      I have been through this several times and, depending on the ******** in charge at the time, it was described as being made redundant, paid off, de-layered, let go, rationalised, fired, sacked, released for my own good, down-sized and/or invited to explore opportunities elsewhere. They all told me it wasn't personal (unlike my responses). On the last occasion I was 55 and my Dad had just passed away. It was only then that I appreciated that the only place I was really redundant was in my own home ... oops! Amidst the swirl of confusion, anger and resentment a few things stood out for me:
      • Move back to Sussex
      • Sod commuting
      • Find a company that genuinely cares about life/work balance
      • Walk out of any interview conducted by a dickhead
      • Don't go to interviews anywhere remotely corporate
      • Accept the salary on offer ... money really isn't that important (if you're half as good as you think you are, opportunities will come up)

I'm now coming up to my 5th anniversary with a company that sends me all over the world doing stuff I enjoy. I take the Mrs with me most of the time (I guess not everyone would see that as a blessing). I work from home 2 or 3 days a week; at least one of those involves a round of golf and another a session of walking football. I don't have a car. I do have a life.

Most importantly, I have absolutely no fears that I will be fine even if something over which I have no control results in me being out of work next week.

Good luck to OP and all others currently in a similar situation. Hopefully you won't be a stubborn old **** like me and have to go through this more than once before you discover how liberating it can be.
      football is just a mechanism for scooping up small amounts of money from a huge number of people in order to put huge amounts of money in the pockets of a small number of people
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      Really depends on your situation. My 18 year old step daughter started her very first job today, working part time in Sainsbury's. She has to go around and pick the online orders, £9.45 an hour. I always assumed they were on or just over minimum wage and even less for an 18 year old. Not bad as a stop gap or even a proper job for some people.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Shuggie View Post
      I have been through this several times and, depending on the ******** in charge at the time, it was described as being made redundant, paid off, de-layered, let go, rationalised, fired, sacked, released for my own good, down-sized and/or invited to explore opportunities elsewhere. They all told me it wasn't personal (unlike my responses). On the last occasion I was 55 and my Dad had just passed away. It was only then that I appreciated that the only place I was really redundant was in my own home ... oops! Amidst the swirl of confusion, anger and resentment a few things stood out for me:
      • Move back to Sussex
      • Sod commuting
      • Find a company that genuinely cares about life/work balance
      • Walk out of any interview conducted by a dickhead
      • Don't go to interviews anywhere remotely corporate
      • Accept the salary on offer ... money really isn't that important (if you're half as good as you think you are, opportunities will come up)

I'm now coming up to my 5th anniversary with a company that sends me all over the world doing stuff I enjoy. I take the Mrs with me most of the time (I guess not everyone would see that as a blessing). I work from home 2 or 3 days a week; at least one of those involves a round of golf and another a session of walking football. I don't have a car. I do have a life.

Most importantly, I have absolutely no fears that I will be fine even if something over which I have no control results in me being out of work next week.

Good luck to OP and all others currently in a similar situation. Hopefully you won't be a stubborn old **** like me and have to go through this more than once before you discover how liberating it can be.