Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Varifocal bins

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
To people like me that have to wear them whenever not in bed, although my girlfriend will tell me I can't find a certain spot, we won't go there, how do you feel about wearing these damned things? I have for some ten years and I still bloody hate it. I cannot get used to them, like ever.
Have you considered contacts? Once you get the hang of them they make all the difference.
That's if you are suited for them of course.
Specsavers do a free comprehensive trial.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Have you considered contacts? Once you get the hang of them they make all the difference.

Cheers mate. Yeah I have sensitive eyes. I can't do contacts, I wish I could. I love swimming but I can't open my eyes underwater, they are too sensitive. I can't do drops or anything that comes in contact. I have to use that special spray that doesn't actually touch my eyes, bad I know.

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
A bit off topic perhaps, but how do the bloody Germans always look so good in glasses?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Thanks both. FYI I don’t need them for reading or computer/work. My close vision is perfect. It’s long distance which isn’t as sharp. As I understand it, the varifocal lenses which have been suggested to me will be my prescription in the upper part and just regular glass in the bottom bit ie when I’m reading, checking phone etc I’ll be looking through straight glass as nothing is required...but looking up at long distance it will be through glass which is correcting my vision. Hope this makes sense...I’m not sure of the correct terminology.

I get it, you just need distance vision at the moment, the Vari's are not really needed, save yourself pots of cash !

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Attachments

• 5EC39552-4E23-4340-8D7C-9529B44BB810.jpeg
    5EC39552-4E23-4340-8D7C-9529B44BB810.jpeg
    49.5 KB · Views: 88

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I know how they work. My question is more the cost/benefit. Is it worth shelling out double the price or can I realistically and practically get away without them. Am I likely to have to keep taking them off every single time I need to read something close up?

Yes but didn't you say your near (reading) vision is perfect? Distance vision glasses don't impair near vision. You need varifocals only if your near vision and distance vision are both buggered :shrug:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I have them. It means I can check which aisle the cheese is in and read the packaging without having to change glasses. Or whether the ball is out on the pitch and what people are saying on Twitter. Yes they're more expensive (although Specsavers are very reasonable), but if you think about the cost per wear it's worth it IF you can train your brain to get on with them.

This. Specsavers allowed me to wear varifocals for a week to see if I got on with them, and could go back to two pairs if I didn't. I found it quite easy after a day, and have worn them ever since. I have three visions in one lens, distance - driving and tv, medium ie computer screen, and reading/close work.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro

I tried contacts when I started playing football again. The single vision contacts would have meant I still needed glasses for reading, and the bi-focal contacts weren't as good at specs for either close or distance - the worst of both worlds. Fine for younger people, though!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This. Specsavers allowed me to wear varifocals for a week to see if I got on with them, and could go back to two pairs if I didn't. I found it quite easy after a day, and have worn them ever since. I have three visions in one lens, distance - driving and tv, medium ie computer screen, and reading/close work.

Pah. You spurned the X-ray vision option? ???

xray vision.jpg

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I felt sure you would go for this option (from classical childhood fiction) for the authentic Teutonic look.

von stalhein.png

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
Yes but didn't you say your near (reading) vision is perfect? Distance vision glasses don't impair near vision. You need varifocals only if your near vision and distance vision are both buggered :shrug:

Yes they do. I’ve worn glasses for over 25 years and until 2 years ago I could still read close up with my glasses on but not anymore. My near vision is perfect but it’s now impossible with my glasses on. I also wear contact lenses for golf/cricket/skiing and not being able to read with them in is a real problem. I’m now getting reading glasses to reverse the contact lenses!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

This is not what I was told. As my close vision is fine I will need plain glass at the bottom of the lens so no correction is made. If I didn’t, I’d be viewing close up things through the same lens which is set up to correct my long vision.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here