Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Varifocal bins

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Okay. I need to get glasses as I’m slightly short-sighted. I only notice this ailment on occasion and it doesn’t seemingly hinder me. That said, when I had my minces checked, I could see previously slightly fuzzy very distant things sharply when I tested some glasses.

I don’t anticipate wearing goggles all the time, and the main question I have is should I get varifocal lenses or not. There’s a huge, double the price, difference so I wonder if it’s worth it given the limited use I expect from them.

What do people think? Will I be wearing glasses more than I expect? Is vari a sensible investment? Anything else I should consider? Am I missing anything?

I only have a couple of friends/family who wear glasses and this is just for reading; hence I’m reaching out to NSC.

Thanks in advance.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As an aside, if anyone has a glasses fetish, or would like to develop one, I can recommend fancy opticians on a Saturday afternoon.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I couldn’t get on with them. They made me feel sick and led to me misjudging steps and things when not looking up and down through the two lenses correctly.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
I couldnt get on with them either, was always tripping over things and found it easier to remove them to read than having to tilt my head. There are different types of varifocal that focus on different distances. For example for working with a screen on a desk or for say out and about or driving. I would maybe shop around if your opticians are still charging double for them as many are starting to just charge for frame/lenses as one price regardless of what lenses you choose.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Took a day or two to get used to them but I don’t even notice any more. Splash out for best lenses as I believe there is a noticeable difference between the cheaper ones and the best.

Lush

Mods' Pet
I have them. It means I can check which aisle the cheese is in and read the packaging without having to change glasses. Or whether the ball is out on the pitch and what people are saying on Twitter. Yes they're more expensive (although Specsavers are very reasonable), but if you think about the cost per wear it's worth it IF you can train your brain to get on with them.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Took a day or two to get used to them but I don’t even notice any more. Splash out for best lenses as I believe there is a noticeable difference between the cheaper ones and the best.

Well yes and no. Yes it is best to get the thinnest lightest ones with all the lense coverings but you dont have to pay through the nose to get them now.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I have them. It means I can check which aisle the cheese is in and read the packaging without having to change glasses. Or whether the ball is out on the pitch and what people are saying on Twitter. Yes they're more expensive (although Specsavers are very reasonable), but if you think about the cost per wear it's worth it IF you can train your brain to get on with them.

I wish someone had told me that they weren’t for thickos before I spent all that money :wink:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
First time wearing them is unpleasant, but you very quickly acclimatise and then it becomes second nature and you don't realise you're using them.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Do you charge extra to wear them during *those* phone calls you sometimes make?

Brian Parsons

May 16, 2013
Bicester, Oxfordshire.
I couldn’t get on with them. They made me feel sick and led to me misjudging steps and things when not looking up and down through the two lenses correctly.
Ditto with me also. Bi-focals suit me fine.
Also varifocals can be dodgy when driving. My late wife never wore hers when driving.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
As the above been wearing them 10 years now and at first i was missing steps ,kerbs the lot ,but quickly got used to them. Bought 2 pairs at Vision express in September at £347 ,the lenses were £115 each .

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Varifocals are probably the lesser of two evils. Reading stuff above head height is difficult (because the reading bit is at the bottom), and peripheral vision generally is poor. When I got mine in my 40s, I found I was gradually tipping my head further and further backwards to read my screen at work. So, I bought extra single-distance glasses just for my screen. Then I found I could read the screen, bought not the papers in front of the screen, so ended up with bi-focals for my desk, and varifocals for general use.

Eyesight suffers a long, slow decline, so you will (eventually) be wearing glasses more than you expect. If you buy varifocals, you'll always have them in the right place at the right time - on your face.

Good vision isn't really something to economise on.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Okay. I need to get glasses as I’m slightly short-sighted. I only notice this ailment on occasion and it doesn’t seemingly hinder me. That said, when I had my minces checked, I could see previously slightly fuzzy very distant things sharply when I tested some glasses.

I don’t anticipate wearing goggles all the time, and the main question I have is should I get varifocal lenses or not. There’s a huge, double the price, difference so I wonder if it’s worth it given the limited use I expect from them.

What do people think? Will I be wearing glasses more than I expect? Is vari a sensible investment? Anything else I should consider? Am I missing anything?

I only have a couple of friends/family who wear glasses and this is just for reading; hence I’m reaching out to NSC.

Thanks in advance.

HT, It all depends on if you need to wear spectacles to read or maybe just sharpen stuff up on your computer. As we get older the muscles that sharpen the focus of your eyes gets a bit slack so we all need specs for reading at some time.

If you already wear specs for distance vision you end up needing two different focussing pairs of specs, Varifocals get around this as they are a blended bifocal which means you have different focal lengths within the same lens. You merely need to look up and down the lens and you have clear vision at whatever you are focusing on..... If they give you the right power ! Some people have adaption problems and never get used to them so either have bifocals or two pairs, distance and reading but most people, me included find them marvellous !

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I found swapping over to varifocals a piece of piss. Wear them all the time - prevents stuff going into your eyes.

I also have a 'distance' pair which I thought I'd wear to matches, but that would bollocks up reading things. I only use them when cycling.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
I took to mine without any problems although I almost exclusively wear contacts nowadays and only wear glasses indoors occasionally.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

Thanks in advance.

Varifocals are for long and short sighted. I wear them. When you go to Specsavers or wherever they will tell you what you need, but if you're just short sighted you just need short sighted goggles. Vari means variable, like me, screwed in both departments!!

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Just read the thread and very interesting to see how people didn't take to them, and the tripping over stuff, I have a real problem, even after some 6 years walking down stairs with them. I have become extremely clumsy wearing vari's and it really annoys me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here