Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Infrastructure FC

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
See... they are obsessed with their much bigger brother...

There's a link to this thread on NSC because they've apparently picked up on their Infrastructure FC nickname. They seem to think we use it out of jealousy. No lads it's taking the piss out of the fact that you can't have a conversation with any Hove supporter without them mentioning the word infrastructure three times per sentence.

Some examples of it in use...

"Lewis Grabban will take one look at the infrastructure at B&HA and sign immediately"

"Brighton have the best infrastructure in the world so we'll definitely get promoted to the PL before a tin pot outfit like AFCB"

"Even our infrastructure has got top level infrastructure; nobody in Brighton actually knows what the word infrastructure means but we know we've got it and it's the best infrastructure"

:lol: Jealous, much :) 1-3 thanks very much.

That's quite funny, you could pick holes in just about everything, far too long to type.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Perhaps I should. Apologies.

Thanks. To be honest, I only stuck that bit in, because I know that some of them are reading this thread. I browse quite a lot of other clubs message boards. Bournemouth's is like Reading's. Every time we play them they seem to have a thread that references what people are saying on this board. Their fans may not be jealous of our club, but there is definitely a bit of message board envy.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Thanks. To be honest, I only stuck that bit in, because I know that some of them are reading this thread. I browse quite a lot of other clubs message boards. Bournemouth's is like Reading's. Every time we play them they seem to have a thread that references what people are saying on this board. Their fans may not be jealous of our club, but there is definitely a bit of message board envy.

I don't browse other boards but get openly accused of posting on them. Go figure.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
But if you took out every clubs subsidy from its owners, based on the recent El Pres Championship data, we’d be higher than that.

Plus Plucky cheated FFP to get promoted. TB didn’t.

El Pres's 'Price of Football' website's last analysis of Bournemouth was fairly sympathetic around the FFP business: http://priceoffootball.com/tag/bournemouth/.

I appreciate his view around the 'fairness' argument, but have concerns about large investments in any club being sustainable in the long term for the reasons I've given in earlier posts in this thread.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I actually agree with HWT, we are a process. It may have taken many years to get there but we did. I'm not sure what your argument is.

I wouldn't call it an argument. I think our fans have a habit of claiming that our investment is somehow more organic than that of other clubs. Tony Bloom pumping in £200m to get is where we are isn't that different to what Maxim Denim has done. The only difference is that Tony's money was spent (arguably) more wisely and has future proofed our position as a club.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
El Pres's 'Price of Football' website's last analysis of Bournemouth was fairly sympathetic around the FFP business: http://priceoffootball.com/tag/bournemouth/.

I appreciate his view around the 'fairness' argument, but have concerns about large investments in any club being sustainable in the long term for the reasons I've given in earlier posts in this thread.

On my first point, I was referring to the £100m’s subsidy in the second tier each season. With none allowed full stop, we would not be the circa 45th largest club. Far higher.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I wouldn't call it an argument. I think our fans have a habit of claiming that our investment is somehow more organic than that of other clubs. Tony Bloom pumping in £200m to get is where we are isn't that different to what Maxim Denim has done. The only difference is that Tony's money was spent (arguably) more wisely and has future proofed our position as a club.

Well... where do you start? Infrastructure FC didn't come from nowhere. We have a sustainable 30k stadium. We have a FIFA world class training centre. We didn't come into the Prem breaking FFP. Can our plucky cousins claim any of that? Where shall we continue?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

Bournemouth, Reading ... meh.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Well... where do you start? Infrastructure FC didn't come from nowhere. We have a sustainable 30k stadium. We have a FIFA world class training centre. We didn't come into the Prem breaking FFP. Can our plucky cousins claim any of that? Where shall we continue?

I'm not arguing, you are absolutely correct!!
I'm just pointing out the chicken and egg situation - all of that infrastructure didn't build itself, it wasn't a result of income generated by the club. We've had our own injection of financial steroids.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I'm not sure of the plans about re-development. They were talking about moving. They are setting up a spanking new training ground, but ground wise I think they put it off for now.

What would be the point with a crowd average of 10,528? I know one of their professional bores will come on here and say that Dean Court is always sold out (and we see a fair few empty blue seats in most of our 30,000+ attendances too) but 800 below capacity on average every game? It doesn't sound as if there's a great desire to see Eddie's boys, despite all the goals flying in.

Selhurst Barcelona have also decided to spend money on players rather than a ground and who's to say it's not the right model? It's tough on fans who want to see Bournemouth and can't, but how many of them are there really?

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Bournemouth, Reading ... meh.

The period when all of us were winning in 2016 made the Burnley and Boro boards great reading. Wednesday's was an acquired taste, but sporadically funny once you got that they are in on the 'massive' joke and playing along. The following season Huddersfield's DATM board was well worth reading, Newcastle's was fairly bland, but Reading's Hobnob Anyone took blandness to a new level. The only thing that ever sparked them into life was any perceived slight from NSC. They had a macro that changed swear words to 'Oxford'. I always thought Oxford and Swindon were rivals and neither cared much about Reading. Reading seem to be the only team in the country who could adopt 'Meh' as a nickname.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I would much rather see Bournemouth and Boscombe FC in the Premier League, than dirty Leeds, MASSIVE, Villa, Boro, or any of the so called BIG clubs.
A, I really dislike the entitlement of the above clubs
B, You will rarely hear Bournemouth fans saying “We should be beating teams like Brighton”
C,They have a similar story to us, nearly going out of business through through bad/ bent ownership,
D, They, and us serve as an example of what a ‘small club ‘ can achieve given the benefits of good/benevolent ownwers.

I’d like to see both clubs maintain PL places for years to come.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
I wish we’d spent £19,000,000 on a striker with 1 Premier League goal rather than spending our money on a training ground and a new stadium. :(

I don’t hate Bournemouth but I’m trying to find the words to explain how I feel. Their supporters are the kind of people who would complain about you sitting quietly in a first class seat on an extremely busy train.

I think I’ve found the way to describe how I feel about Bournemouth now.

A few years ago before a home game against them in the Championship (I think it might have been the season they went up) me and my mate had just came out of the Buckingham Arms in Shoreham and were waiting at the train gates so we could grab a couple of tinnies for the train to Brighton. A people carrier pulled up at the tracks and the 7 or 8 people inside were all clearly Bournemouth fans.

How was it obvious they were fans of Plucky Underdogs FC? Well the flags they were holding out of the window were one sign. The fact all of them were in full kit, with a spattering of face paint and a handful of red & black wigs on display too was perhaps the bigger clue. Here before us was a group of mainly middle aged adults who had decided facepaint and wigs were appropriate for an inconsequential league game, and not a sign of involuntary celibacy.

They sat in the car, in complete silence as my mate muttered “for f*cks sake” under his breath and I smirked slightly. It was like being sent one of those disgusting videos off WhatsApp. You’re not sure if the video of a man f*cking a chicken should be laughed at or if the person responsible needs to executed immediately; so you kinda just laugh it off and feel a bit embarrassed for them. However, as the gates went up all of them turned towards us and started hurling abuse “f*ck off Brighton. Come on Bournemouth.” You could almost hear their tongue burrowing through the bottom of their mouth. The flag is waved vigorously whilst the middle passenger cranes his arm out the window to call us w*nkers.

Me and my mate just stood there bemused as they sped off, w*nker signs now visible from both sides of the car like weird stabilisers. And that’s Bournemouth as a club, isn’t it? 8 people in face paint too scared to call you a w*nker until the cars moving. They’re like a rich eccentric uncle who’s never kissed a woman. Yeah they’ve got nice stuff and they’ve probably got an interesting story to tell but it doesn’t change the fact they’re 47 and still practice kissing with their stuffed animals.

They’re just weird.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
One of those clubs where you know it will all go wrong eventually and we’ll be asked to raise money, awareness for their plight etc... yet they’re happy to drink up their financial ignorance now

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
I guess that makes them No Infrastructure FC?

Still trying to find a rival I guess

Weymouth FC must run them close. They are without doubt a fragile club. Remove the Russian money or the manager and they would be Div 1, of that I have no doubt. Also I see them as a sort of MK Dons stadium quarter full type club, in a few years.

Glad we have broken the jinx!

TNBA

TTF

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I'm not arguing, you are absolutely correct!!
I'm just pointing out the chicken and egg situation - all of that infrastructure didn't build itself, it wasn't a result of income generated by the club. We've had our own injection of financial steroids.

Absolutely we have, but so have all the 92 other clubs in the league's, just not to our luck of having TB.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
What would be the point with a crowd average of 10,528? I know one of their professional bores will come on here and say that Dean Court is always sold out (and we see a fair few empty blue seats in most of our 30,000+ attendances too) but 800 below capacity on average every game? It doesn't sound as if there's a great desire to see Eddie's boys, despite all the goals flying in.

Selhurst Barcelona have also decided to spend money on players rather than a ground and who's to say it's not the right model? It's tough on fans who want to see Bournemouth and can't, but how many of them are there really?

I can't disagree with you. And as for our friends up the M/A23... they give fans something to salivate over but actually never see it through, so they end up with the same rusty tin shed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here