Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] VAR today

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
A last minute winning Murray goal in the cup against Palace was confirmed by VAR wasn’t it, why wouldn’t you like that? :smile:

But it wasn't 'not given' by the ref in the first place, so not having VAR in that game would have made no difference whatsoever.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
If you watched MOTD then you would have seen that the decisions I mentioned divided the opinion of Upson and Dublin. Voles was offside, Vydra wasn’t. However you’re ignoring that so you can continue to w*nk off VAR and hold some weird smug superiority. You’re boring and this chat is about as much fun as masturbating with sandpaper gloves on so I’m going to leave it here.

My mistake. Vydra was also offside. His foot was over the line they showed for defenders. Watch it back. If I knew how to post a picture on here then I would. It was clear and shocked they missed it.

The other brilliant point about VAR is that it changes how people defend. If you know grappling will be punished then you can’t do it. England showed this at World Cup. Get one pen for pulling and it stops. Excellent.

Either cheers for the high quality debate. Name calling is always an excellent character trait. Sadly it is this aggressive attitude that means fans can’t be shown everything on the big screen because of fear of riot. Other sports all show the fans but can’t be risked at football, possibly because of the aggression but also so many people not knowing the Laws.

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday and keep being so pleasant.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Newcastle. The goal came from a corner that should have been a goal kick. Don't know if VAR would have addressed that or not??

The Burnley one is a bit odd to me. I thought VAR was only meant to be used to check for offsides if a goal had been scored, not any other time?

Knew I had forgotten one!

Another point about offsides; we can rule a goal out if it turns out somebody was offside. It’s not quite as easy to reverse the decision if somebody is flagged for being offside when they’re not. It means Lino’s are going to have to learn to completly ignore any marginal decisions.

Without going OTT we could genuinely end up with a situation where we’re seeing disallowed goals almost every game. Suddenly every goal scored is met with a moment of “wait, are they going to check VAR?” That moment of eurphoria is lost. It’s a slippery slope.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
My mistake. Vydra was also offside. His foot was over the line they showed for defenders. Watch it back. If I knew how to post a picture on here then I would. It was clear and shocked they missed it.

The other brilliant point about VAR is that it changes how people defend. If you know grappling will be punished then you can’t do it. England showed this at World Cup. Get one pen for pulling and it stops. Excellent.

Either cheers for the high quality debate. Name calling is always an excellent character trait. Sadly it is this aggressive attitude that means fans can’t be shown everything on the big screen because of fear of riot. Other sports all show the fans but can’t be risked at football, possibly because of the aggression but also so many people not knowing the Laws.

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday and keep being so pleasant.

Thank you babycakes.

No defence of them clearly making the wrong decision in the Man.U game? Oh no, of course not. That would highlight how flawed your precious VAR is. Toodles xo

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

Don't remember (m)any being given through VAR though? Wasn't it just FIFA saying 'right refs, punish grappling'?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Thank you babycakes.

No defence of them clearly making the wrong decision in the Man.U game? Oh no, of course not. That would highlight how flawed your precious VAR is. Toodles xo

It's only a chat about VAR. :shrug: Nothing hinges on it (much as some of us may like to think we have a hotline to FA central :whistle::lolol:). Is there really any need for all this ???

Anyway, checking the VAR, I see this: :flounce::flounce::flounce:

:wink:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Thank you babycakes.

That was an issue with the offside law. That is what people don’t get. If the offside law was clearer then this would not happen. It comes back to the point that is it worth not getting 99% of big calls right rather than a lower figure just because it might not be 100%.

Do you apply not making improvements to your life because it will never be perfect? I don’t understand why football should not make progress like other sports. Hockey, rugby of both codes, tennis, cricket, American football etc all use it. Football seems scared because some decisions will be wrong even though everyone admits fewer will be. I love being at test matches when a wicket falls and then you wait to see if it is reviewed and then you get the excitement again. It can add to the fun. People always apply it to seeing a goal for your team disallowed. How much fun would it have been at Cardiff if that was chalked off?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
That was an issue with the offside law. That is what people don’t get. If the offside law was clearer then this would not happen. It comes back to the point that is it worth not getting 99% of big calls right rather than a lower figure just because it might not be 100%.

Do you apply not making improvements to your life because it will never be perfect? I don’t understand why football should not make progress like other sports. Hockey, rugby of both codes, tennis, cricket, American football etc all use it. Football seems scared because some decisions will be wrong even though everyone admits fewer will be. I love being at test matches when a wicket falls and then you wait to see if it is reviewed and then you get the excitement again. It can add to the fun. People always apply it to seeing a goal for your team disallowed. How much fun would it have been at Cardiff if that was chalked off?

Personally I NEVER celebrate a Brighton goal until I have seen that there are no lino flags, and no cheeky whispers in the ref's ear from the fourth official (this happens) and a clear and unequivocal signal from the ref that it is a real, monosodium glutamate-free, corn-fed and sun-ripend goal. People going bat shit mental in a nanosecond (like I once used to do, back when I was a feckless impetuous 40 year old) deserve all the disappointment coming to them. VAR will simply add to the suspense. Bring it on.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Half the time when a penalty is given with replays in slow motion, you get different views from the so called experts, so football decisions are not always black and white and sometimes in a grey area.

The game is supposed to be free flowing without too many stoppages as well, so I wouldn't like it becoming like an American NFL game. So its a no for me, but its probably gonna happen anyway.

hoveboyslim

Feb 7, 2004
Hove
We had a thread on this some while back. The conclusion was that any sort of encroachment is an offence, regardless of the impact of the encroachment. That is - even if it's a blinder into the top corner, if an attacker has encroached, the kick should be retaken.

Like with all these things, because it's so rarely punished it happens. If they were retaken on a regular basis, it would soon stop.

I agree, any sort of encroachment is an offence. However, should a penalty be retaken if a penalty is missed and the attacking team encroaches? Conversely, should a penalty be retaken if a penalty is scored and the defending team encroaches? What happens if both sides encroach (as with most situations)? I'm not a referee, but maybe they treat it like offside; whether or not the act is interfering with play. VAR will make a difference, as the actions of the encroaching players will be under far more scrutiny than currently.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Half the time when a penalty is given with replays in slow motion, you get different views from the so called experts, so football decisions are not always black and white and sometimes in a grey area.

The game is supposed to be free flowing without too many stoppages as well, so I wouldn't like it becoming like an American NFL game. So its a no for me, but its probably gonna happen anyway.

It is happening, it’s used in all of the other top European leagues, it’s being used in the champions league and it will be used in the premier league from next season. Nothing will stop it.

It will be a rough start as with any change (World Cup started badly but got much better), but all of the other leagues have adjusted and it has been used for hundreds and hundreds of games now. It will be fine.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Fabregas' should have been a free kick as he stopped in his run up which is not allowed. Poor refereeing

The ref may have ignored that as the shot was saved had he scored would have possibly given the free kick. I can never understand why a player taking a penalty hasnt the balls to just step and hit it or let somebody else take it, none of this fancy run ups and stuttering.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I saw Fulham penalty in real time and replay. Cant understand how was given by var

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I agree, any sort of encroachment is an offence. However, should a penalty be retaken if a penalty is missed and the attacking team encroaches? Conversely, should a penalty be retaken if a penalty is scored and the defending team encroaches? What happens if both sides encroach (as with most situations)? I'm not a referee, but maybe they treat it like offside; whether or not the act is interfering with play. VAR will make a difference, as the actions of the encroaching players will be under far more scrutiny than currently.

Here you go - from the FA website on what to do in those situations.

Capture.PNG

Jimmy Grimble

The ref may have ignored that as the shot was saved had he scored would have possibly given the free kick. I can never understand why a player taking a penalty hasnt the balls to just step and hit it or let somebody else take it, none of this fancy run ups and stuttering.

That explains why you never liked Hemed's penalties even though he had one of the best ratios for a Brighton player ever :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here