Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] How to get the perfect baked potato?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Rub the skins in olive oil, then roll them in salt, pop a metal skewer through them and bake on 200 for an hour.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
To ensure complete lushness, give them a Kung-foo chop with the back of the hand when they finally emerge from the oven.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Does anybody know of a good non-vegan alternative? Asking for a friend.

07A7A40D-E335-486C-B62E-FE87ECC938CA.jpeg

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Deer good folk of NSC,

I have been tasked today to serve up baked potatoes for late lunch, how long must they go in the oven for - for a good bake (crispy on the outside fluffy in the middle)?

Thanks!

Run potato under the tap
Sprinkle with salt
Spread a thin layer of butter over the spud.
(for the crispiest skin)
Pierce all the way through with a skewer and leave skewer in spud
Place in a preheated oven at 190 for an hour/hour and ten mins
When cooked, remove skewer
Put a tea towel over the spud and quickly and sharpy smack the spud with the palm of your hand. This fluffs up the potato inside.
Serve to taste.

Ignore all previous posts. This is the winner and I am your God.

Last edited:

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Surprising the McCain microwave ones are decent if you want to save time. I do 4 of them for 14 mins then just 10 mins in the oven at 190. This ensures you still get a crispy skin.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
BP's in the M'wave? Criminal. Unless you enjoy rendering a quarter of your spud inedible because you have turned it to stone.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Run potato under the tap
Sprinkle with salt
Spread a thin layer of butter over the spud.
(for the crispiest skin)
Pierce all the way through with a skewer and leave skewer in spud
Place in a preheated oven at 190 for an hour/hour and ten mins
When cooked, remove skewer
Put a tea towel over the spud and quickly and sharpy smack the spud with the palm of your hand. This fluffs up the potato inside.
Serve to taste.

Ignore all previous posts. This is the winner and I am your God.

I agree with all of this apart from the cooking time. Ideally the perfect spud should be massive, so I’d go for 1hr 30mins to 2 hrs. 1hr for a large potato would mean the centre still being quite hard, even with the skewer.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Cover them in olive oil and salt then stick them in the oven. 2hrs should be long enough.

I use olive oil & salt, which is great for crispy skins, but if the potatoes are large, I give them a 10 minute blast in a microwave first.
I then oven cook for about 45 minutes.
I sometimes cover the outside with finely grated Parmesan depending on the fillings. It goes well if chilli is on offer, and the skins are still crisp.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
On the subject of jacket Spuds I would add this..... for those who love eating the skins. A potato kept in the dark at this time of year will start to sprout, it's a natural thing for it to do, however, it makes the spud itself a bit soft as it converts its stored energy and moisture to those sprouts. That's not good for those big Baking Spuds you see sold loose in the supermarkets so, Spuds, especially Baking Spuds are sprayed with a growth inhibitor. So, scrub those spuds well before roasting or grow your own like me !

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
It is important to choose the right variety of potato. You need something fluffy with high starch.

I would recommend Marfona as my absolute favourite although Estima and Purple Vikings are also good.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
People keep saying oil and salt is great for crispy skins, it's nonsense almost on a par with basting a roasting joint.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
We had jacket potatoes tonight. 80 minutes in my Mum's old ramoska after a bit of oil rubbed in and the skins pierced with a fork. Super.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Piece the skin numerous times, 1 hour in oven had Mark 8, turning half way through. End of.

However I will try a couple in here with oil etc. I have done water and salt before but still went back to basics.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Exactly this, anything else is totally over complicating the matter, only other thing I'd add, makes holes in it with a knife, about 6-10. Put the oil and salt in a small plastic bag, like a sandwich type one, stick the potato in, give it a shake, oven at around 180 to 200 and after an hour or so just start keeping an eye on it.

Doesn't the plastic bag melt in the oven?

Anyway, jacket potatoes are girly food, real men only eat chips, and roasties.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here