Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Christian Walton

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Since relegation from the Prem they've done **** all except yo-yo between League One and the Championship, suggesting that they don't exactly employ the Gloalkeeper Coach of the Year on their staff.

A bit harsh, GB.

In 2012-2013, at least they won the Cup beating a Manchester side when they got relegated from the top flight!

The next season, they reached the Semi-Finals having beaten 3 Premier sides (Palace, Cardiff and Man City) and only lost to Arsenal on pens.

Last season, they made the Quarter-Finals as a League 1 side and knocked out Bournemouth, West Ham and Man City again!

Most supporters of non-Premier sides would be happy to beat Man City 3 times in the Cup in 6 seasons!

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Tbf Sanchez didn’t ‘lose’ his position. Cooper rotated almost every week and over the festive period Montgomery was given a few more games. From what I’ve seen, as a big of FGR, Sanchez was the superior goalkeeper.

Sanchez started the first 14 league matches of the season. He only started 3 of the next 11. I think it would be fair enough to say he "lost his position".

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Sanchez started the first 14 league matches of the season. He only started 3 of the next 11. I think it would be fair enough to say he "lost his position".

But out of those 3 starts, he was being alternated with Montgomery. It’s hardly like Montgomery was keeping him out of the squad when said games also included cup games where clubs tend to rotate squads anyway. Cooper didn’t seem to know who was the better keeper, though I would say Sanchez was more convincing . I say this too as a fan of FGR not someone just looking at stats.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I would refute this having had a long-time connection theresome years ago. The football team got bigger crowds than the rugby team once Wigan had reached the Championship. Smug me thought he could rock up and get tickets for a game one time, but they had sold out. A well-located stadium, and a decent infrastructure. Sadly Whelan decided that employing old scholl nobber managers was the way forward. Funny how being a shit manager and being a Holocaust denier sometimes go hand in hand. Who would have known? ???

What game was that? They really struggled to sell two thirds of the home allocation in the PL let alone now.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
What game was that? They really struggled to sell two thirds of the home allocation in the PL let alone now.

Arsenal with Thierry Henry.

I know.

:facepalm::lolol:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Exactly what I was going to say.

The benefit of going somewhere tinpot like Wigan is that he gets game time. The down side is that everything else is tin pot.

I'd like to see him back with us next season just to benefit from the setup. Might be third choice behind Button but would prefer one of our own to Steele.

Rather Steele than Button

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Why?

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk

Better handling, less error prone. Have watched them both a number of times over the years and don't rate Button (as per the other thread, just think he can make an error at any time). See West ham when he nearly lost the ball - when he took an inadvertent touch, and Southampton in the league cup when he made a bad mistake.

Steele when I've seen him seems far more steady and in control. Had a bad time at Sunderland, but then all of their team did last year.....

Geestar

Nov 6, 2012
Shoreham Beach
Better handling, less error prone. Have watched them both a number of times over the years and don't rate Button (as per the other thread, just think he can make an error at any time). See West ham when he nearly lost the ball - when he took an inadvertent touch, and Southampton in the league cup when he made a bad mistake.

Steele when I've seen him seems far more steady and in control. Had a bad time at Sunderland, but then all of their team did last year.....
Fair enough.... what is Chris thinking hey!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Fair enough.... what is Chris thinking hey!

He actually said he preferred Button's experience, so it wasn't an ability thing. All opinions but his is the one that matters (or Ben Roberts).

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
It really isn't. They're up there with Reading in the "teams I wouldn't miss if they were gone" stakes.

It's a Rugby League town that had a football club tacked on. For years they were non-league until they got elected to the League and did not much at all. Then they were bought by a tracksuit salesman, quite apt given their fan base consists of 5000 racists in bad McKenzie gear.

Since relegation from the Prem they've done **** all except yo-yo between League One and the Championship, suggesting that they don't exactly employ the Gloalkeeper Coach of the Year on their staff.

I did see this post yesterday, just didn't have the time to respond to it, however . . .

Rugby League towns, as you describe Wigan, are quite welcome to have football clubs too you know! and even if most of their existence has been spent iplaying non-league football, so what? it certainly doesn't make them a tin pot club. I'm sure there are plenty of grass roots football fans out there who would be stung by that remark.

In the first few seasons after election to the Football League they did very well. I particularly remember being soundly beaten by Paul Jewell's side at Withdean. They were also of course FA Cup winners under Roberto Martinez as recently as 2013, (a piddling little competition I agree).

As for their then chairman making his fortune from selling tracksuits, so what? our own Tony Bllom made a lot of money from playing poker, I don't see the difference. Wigan a town full of racists? well I'll let that one pass.

Sorry, just wanted to get that off my chest! :)

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
As for their then chairman making his fortune from selling tracksuits, so what? our own Tony Bllom made a lot of money from playing poker, I don't see the difference. Wigan a town full of racists? well I'll let that one pass.

Sorry, just wanted to get that off my chest! :)

That’s not how Tony made his money. Don’t think he ever won more than £1m or so in a year

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
That’s not how Tony made his money. Don’t think he ever won more than £1m or so in a year

I know that isn't how me made his fortune, but 'just' a million would do me. My point though, was that l don't see how making your money by seeling tracksuits is worse than any other way of doing it. As long as it's done legally of course.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012

Steele is well 'ard . Button is more easily undone.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013

Not trying to put down Tony Bloom, but he inherited a lot of money. Think he's done well from a position of strength though.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here