Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Hacking cough

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Total sympathy,had this just before Christmas.Pharmacy told me to try Bronchostop.Disgusting taste and turned phlegm vivid green,but it actually worked.I take Clopidogrol and it was ok for me.

Interesting, I will speak to the pharmacist tomorrow. Thanks. You and I get in fine if we don't talk about teh B word..lol

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Spikey barking cough, mucus everywhere, wheezy chest - its a nasty one....Covonia Mucus special and Night Time Cough Mixture keeping the worse effects at bay.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Just a warning to anyone thinking of taking Bronchostop - it contains one of the sweeteners ending in ol (xyltol, maltiol, steviol etc) which can cause bloating and laxative effects in quite a few people - including me. Basically, if you can't eat sugar free sweets then avoid it. Anyone who had tried a FODMAP diet, I believe these are the P for Polyols. Really annoys me that some of the anti bloating tablets contain these and make the problem worse for me.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Just a warning to anyone thinking of taking Bronchostop - it contains one of the sweeteners ending in ol (xyltol, maltiol, steviol etc) which can cause bloating and laxative effects in quite a few people - including me. Basically, if you can't eat sugar free sweets then avoid it. Anyone who had tried a FODMAP diet, I believe these are the P for Polyols. Really annoys me that some of the anti bloating tablets contain these and make the problem worse for me.

How awful.Glad it didn't bother me.Coughing might have unwanted side effects.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Peaked for me mid December. Felt c**p for 3/4 days (2 days off work), but been coughing ever since. Can't seem to shift it. Can feel the phelm but can't cough it up.......Arrgghhhh. Lower rib cage is beginning to ache with persistent coughing. Started on the Benyiln, apparently its fer coffs.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
How awful.Glad it didn't bother me.Coughing might have unwanted side effects.
It isn't too bad but unpleasant enough for me to study ingredients of things I buy to avoid them. Medicines only have the non active ingredients on the leaflet so you can't tell until you get it home. Same probably applies to the sugar free versions of other cough medicines.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
For persistant coughs, including the nightmarish tickly variety that start the moment you lie down to sleep, take soluble paracetomols swilling them around your mouth and throat. Tastes unpleasant, but in my experience it’s a big help.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Peaked for me mid December. Felt c**p for 3/4 days (2 days off work), but been coughing ever since. Can't seem to shift it. Can feel the phelm but can't cough it up.......Arrgghhhh. Lower rib cage is beginning to ache with persistent coughing. Started on the Benyiln, apparently its fer coffs.

Same as me - 'Ive now got visible bruising where I've been barking so hard.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Hi folks

Anyone else suffering from this hacking cough that is doing the rounds at the moment.

I have only has a couple of days off in the last few years for anything medical, but been off the last couple of days with a horrible cough and tight chest.

According to one of the neighbours it has affected quite a few people and it turns out that there are a few people off work with it.

Good job we are away tomorrow as I don't feel like standing in a cold stadium!

I had it just before Xmas. Takes about a week or so to get cleared but I have a tip to subdue it. Your own immune system probably takes about a week or so to get over it.

In the interim . Take 3 Nurofen Plus - Wait 30 to 40 minutes. That should stop the cough for about 5 hours or more then when it comes back, if it worked the first time do it again.

Don't do it more than twice per day and don't do it more than 3 days continuously.

This worked for me during the really bad period of the cough but DONT and I repeat DONT take this if you have other health issues which don't allow you to take Nurofen Plus

If this doesn't work and you pop your clogs, make sure you sign over your house and bank accounts and all wordly belongings to NooBHA at NSC.com before you go

Good Luck

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I had it just before Xmas. Takes about a week or so to get cleared but I have a tip to subdue it. Your own immune system probably takes about a week or so to get over it.

In the interim . Take 3 Nurofen Plus - Wait 30 to 40 minutes. That should stop the cough for about 5 hours or more then when it comes back, if it worked the first time do it again.

Don't do it more than twice per day and don't do it more than 3 days continuously.

This worked for me during the really bad period of the cough but DONT and I repeat DONT take this if you have other health issues which don't allow you to take Nurofen Plus

If this doesn't work and you pop your clogs, make sure you sign over your house and bank accounts and all wordly belongings to NooBHA at NSC.com before you go

Good Luck

Yep warfarin stops me taking anything ending in fen

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
First day at work today and was taken aback at how many had had a rotten Christmas due to their or a family member illness.

Had an irritating cough over Christmas. The only bonus was it meant for a less indulgent festive period and no need to loosen the belt a notch today!

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
I find if my throat is blocked with phlegm the best way to dislodge it is to aim some of the contents of one of those plastic lemons to the back of the mouth which always cuts through the blockage. Hopefully the contents are pure concentrated lemon juice which is less likely to react with any regular medication. My sister even uses it on her bulldog when he has problems.

Jul 7, 2003
Got the cold in the week before xmas - had the cough ever since. Pulled a chest muscle which makes it even more painful coughing.

Back in the office this week, so many people have the same thing.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Cloves with fresh or ground ginger and fresh thyme and honey boiled in one and half cup of water untill reduced to a cup full then drink.

Thank me later.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here