Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] New Year New problem E mail

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I changed internet provider from Talk talk to Vodafone some 18 months ago but retained my Talk talk e Mail address. Now all of a sudden it has started showing wrong username or password when I try to log in and I know I am using the correct ones as it logs into my granddaughters with the same log in details

Who should I contact to sort it out Vodafone my supplier, Talktalk my address provider or Google Chrome the browser I use. If I have to I will change my e mail address but would rather not. I uninstalled and re installed Chrome but that didnt help. Should I do the same with Windows 10? Any sensible help would be appreciated as getting frustrated.over this as I need to access my emails on my laptop.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I changed internet provider from Talk talk to Vodafone some 18 months ago but retained my Talk talk e Mail address. Now all of a sudden it has started showing wrong username or password when I try to log in and I know I am using the correct ones as it logs into my granddaughters with the same log in details

Who should I contact to sort it out Vodafone my supplier, Talktalk my address provider or Google Chrome the browser I use. If I have to I will change my e mail address but would rather not. I uninstalled and re installed Chrome but that didnt help. Should I do the same with Windows 10? Any sensible help would be appreciated as getting frustrated.over this as I need to access my emails on my laptop.

Talk Talk first I think.

Read this:

https://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/ask-our-expert/can-i-keep-my-old-email-address-ask-our-expert

When you cancel TalkTalk (www.talktalk.co.uk) broadband, you'll still be able to send and receive mail from your email address for up to 12 months. However, you won't be able to access My Account, so you can't actually manage the email addresses associated to it - including things such as changing passwords. And if there's no action on your email account for six months, TalkTalk will automatically delete that email address.

So, it's best to set up a new account from another service, and migrate things across from your TalkTalk email as soon as possible.

My advice longer term would be to set up an email that is independent of an ISP (vodafone or Talk Talk) such as hotmail or gmail. I know its a hassle if people contact you regularly, but look at like moving house.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Google email is superb. One of the best for Spam

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Google email is superb. One of the best for Spam

They generally work on the same technology if you remember to move spam to spam and move out of spam what isn't.

It learns if you teach it.

I lean to Microsoft because I tend to trust them. If you back a few years there were the "evil empire", but they've been clearly taken over by Apple, Google, Facebook and Amazon.

You can actually call Microsoft these days and remarkable a human on the end of a phone will gladly fix something for you,

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
They generally work on the same technology if you remember to move spam to spam and move out of spam what isn't.

I lean to Microsoft because I tend to trust them. If you back a few years there were the "evil empire", but they've been clearly taken over by Apple, Google, Facebook and Amazon.

You can actually call Microsoft these days and remarkable a human on the end of a phone will gladly fix something for you,

I have Outlook,Google,Yahoo and AOL email accounts. Google wins hands down.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England

I lean to microsoft on all ALMOST everything, also. Though (IMO) Gmail definitely does a much better job (automatically categorising mail though into focused social, promotional, and spam which works great on one of my accounts) as a webmail service. Though I do like Outlook as a desktop client at work and at home, always have, and I choose not to have my gmail accounts linked to it. Microsoft for anything desktop, google for web is generally me

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I've had a hotmail account for years never let me down.

Switched to hotmail when free serve finally shut down their servers. It was a bit of a pain changing all details in on-line accounts but much easier since using them.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Ah, you should have done what I did then when Google insisted on me getting a Gmail account. I signed up but never gave out my Gmail to any contacts and never used the account. Every year or two I have a peek and open it to find it full of unopened spam from Google... The joy!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Gmail is great but due to the spat with Amazon, Google always puts any Amazon orders into spam. It's blinking annoying!

boik

In fact Microsoft are so good they frequently call me even though I only run Linux. One day I kept them on the phone for 20 minutes pretending I was doing things. At the end of it the woman was upset and said “why would you do that?” Oh the irony!

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Buy your own domain and point emails to your provider of choice.
I have a domain from 123-reg and have set up an email which delivers to a gmail and a yahoo account. I use the gmail regularly and clear the yahoo one out every few months. If I ever lost access to the gmail, I could use the yahoo without having to change the email address I give to people.
Sounds convoluted but works quite well.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here