Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2019

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Saw Stan and Ollie, I thought it was superb, great acting and a lovely bitter sweet film.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
After what was a barren year with regards to cinema for me last year, I've started quite well in that I'm now up to four films. Earlier this week was the first; a repeat viewing of Aquaman, which I saw last year. Today I spent the day at the cinema and caught:

Mary Poppins Returns
Not even close to being as good as the original film, but not as bad as the trailers had me fearing it would be. None of the songs are as good as the original, and it took me a while to let go and let this film be itself. It was ok, a pleasant way to spend a couple of hours, I like Emily Blunt. The kids were very annoying to start with, but became only slightly annoying as the film wore on.

Colette
I didn't really know much about this before going to see it, which I find often helps my enjoyment. It was quite good, and while being a true story from the late 1800s/early 1900s, it felt very 'of today'.

The Favourite
I think expectations were quite high after all the hype and talk of awards, etc. and for me it didn't live up to those expectations. That's not to say it's bad, just not as good as I'd expected.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Well, keep it a secret, but i was supervised yesterday for overtime, with the knowledge that as soon as i met my target i'd be paid for 6 hours work, time and a half. This, of course, meant me seeing what time Stan and Ollie was on at various establishments, and how quickly i could finish up, see the film, and return home as if i'd been at work the whole time. It worked, dabnabbit, and my confession of seeing the film is only between these 4 digital walls. Just a shame that i didn't think an enormous amount of it.
I love Laurel & Hardy, especially from childhood when these legends, and Harold Lloyd in particular, tickled the Meade household on a regular basis. I think this film did not manage to create their sense of almost universal hilarity. They made out they were popular, with audiences cracking up at each of their performances, but relied on nostalgia, seemingly, to have that funniness shown. They weren't just a pair misplacing each other whilst walking through different doors or choreographing a gentle dance in unison, and for all they showed of Laurel as a great comedy writer, they didn't have that acted much. If anything their wives were the funny versions of them when they were given screen time. Anyway, it wasn't disastrous and trickled along with heart, if not telling of the resentment that brewed, or the shame felt for the depths gone to to resuscitate their fame, with necessary thunder. There are splashes of emotion, but without the slight flatness of proceedings gaining weight or jagged intrigue. Coogan was ok, whilst John C Reilly was hapless but more likeable.

As a second film, i wonder if we include on here now new Netflix films. If they are up for award this year, do they become cinema? I dunno. I saw Birdbox though, which has proved popular. Personally, i thought it was one of those times in which you see a film about monster that you can't make a noise around - A Quiet Place - and see a worse film about not looking at them. And then grab a chunk of some shite M Night Shyamalan to give it faux religious components. Throw on top of that a generally incorrect sense that the only people unaffected by these beasts are the blind, and the psychologically troubled, who it seems are all nefarious and deadly without the aid of the ghouls. In general, i thought it a bit sh*t.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
I saw Stan and Ollie today and loved it as I knew it was only going to be about their relationship during their post film career.
Coogan and Reilly really got their mannerisms spot on and also conveyed how much love they had for each other.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I saw Stand and Ollie this afternoon.

I was a bit concerned with the start of the film when up popped in association with BBC Films, as I always wonder if the film was basically made for TV and I would have been better served by waiting and just watching when it hit the TV screens.

I needn't have worried, I really enjoyed the film which was a mixture of laughter and sadness, with the portrayal of Stand and Ollie was spot on.

A good start to the year.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Also saw S&O yesterday afternoon and loved it. A very affectionate, perfectly weighted look at their latter years, without becoming maudlin or saccharine. Didn't know much about this period of their lives. JCR and SC both put in great performances, and was mighty impressed by the advances in prosthetics - you'd never have known...

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I went to a cineworld unlimited screening of Vice this evening. Throughout the last day or two I'd seen a few tweets proclaiming it the best film this year, so my expectations were raised a bit. There is a lot I liked about it (I love the little scene in the end credits, Bale's performance as two examples). But it is very much in the same mould as The Big Short with meta cutaways to people explaining things (though not reliant on celebrity this time), and at times it felt too much like they were trying to make a sequel to The Big Short. For some, that might be a good thing. TBS was a good film, but for me it detracted from Vice, making it feel less original, less fresh. Three people walked out (I'd estimate maybe 30-40 were there to begin with) two about halfway through, one about 20mins from the end. It did feel a little overlong (it's 132 minutes)

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Saw Stan and Ollie with Mrs V today, very impressed with the performances and the script. It's essentially a love story that works on many levels with incredible performances by the two leads. The film has great moments of laughter and some very poignant moments with Stan and Ollies symbiotic working relationship. Fair to say I had a tear or two in my eye at various points, it was thoroughly enjoyable.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Saw Stan and Ollie with Mrs V today, very impressed with the performances and the script. It's essentially a love story that works on many levels with incredible performances by the two leads. The film has great moments of laughter and some very poignant moments with Stan and Ollies symbiotic working relationship. Fair to say I had a tear or two in my eye at various points, it was thoroughly enjoyable.

All of that. Superb performances and like Catfish said earlier I knew what period of their careers and relationship it was focusing on. Got some bloody grit in my eye though. All in all..... marvellous.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
All of that. Superb performances and like Catfish said earlier I knew what period of their careers and relationship it was focusing on. Got some bloody grit in my eye though. All in all..... marvellous.

I think that it's hard not to get some grit in your eye watching this, a timely reminder of how wonderful their visual comedy was. Been looking at some of the classic Shorts tonight on YouTube, viewing them now in a different light after watching Stan and Ollie.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
It’s a shame it’s not going to appeal to the younger audience who most don’t even know who Stan and Ollie were. ( it’s true)

Never mind they’ll be another superhero film along soon.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Never mind they’ll be another superhero film along soon.

Speaking of...

I went to see Glass this evening in an cineworld unlimited screening ahead of it's full release tomorrow. The third film to complete a trilogy alongside Unbreakable and Split bringing back the main characters from those films. I lightheartedly call it a superhero film, don't go in expecting something along the lines of a Marvel or DC offering. It is an M Night Shyamalan film, not a "comic book" film. Like a lot of superhero movies, it's over two hours long, and again like a lot of superhero films, didn't actually need to be. I'm still not sure how I feel about it.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Went to the midday matinee of Mary Queen of Scots today at the DoY. And if I hadn't already gone into the cinema as a confirmed Saoirse Ronan fanboy, then I would certainly have emerged as one. She puts in a absolutely magnificent performance, as Alan Shearer would say on MOTD, with a huge range of moods and emotions, from skittish schoolgirl when alone with her giggling handmaidens, to imperious monarch in the company of the ever-plotting all-male members her royal court. She NAILS every scene in which she appears, leaving every other actor floundering in her wake, including Margot Robbie as Elizabeth, and basically transforms what would otherwise be an unremarkable, maybe even leaden, historical costume romp, the likes of which we've all seen WAY too often, into something much more substantial.

7/10

(which comprises an average of 9/10 for SR's performance, and 5/10 for everything else about the movie)

Miserable Les

Jan 17, 2019
Another vote for Stan & Ollie here, magnificent film and 9/10 for me. The performances from Coogan and Reily are wonderful, balancing 'in' and 'out' of character perfectly, which must've been incredibly hard to get just right.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Went along to see Stan and Ollie today. I wasn’t particularly bothered about seeing it but I was out-voted. I have never found them particularly funny or engaging so wasn’t really expecting to love it as others seem to.
It was alright. Exactly what I thought it would be. Bit dull in places.
Others speak of how unfortunate it was they ended up on that live circuit. I just kept thinking “oh come on! Speak up for yourselves “
They just seemed to bumble along, letting life be cruel to them and doing nothing about it.
I quite liked the two doors sketch.

Don’t get the fuss
5/10

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Went along to see Stan and Ollie today. I wasn’t particularly bothered about seeing it but I was out-voted. I have never found them particularly funny or engaging so wasn’t really expecting to love it as others seem to.
It was alright. Exactly what I thought it would be. Bit dull in places.
Others speak of how unfortunate it was they ended up on that live circuit. I just kept thinking “oh come on! Speak up for yourselves “
They just seemed to bumble along, letting life be cruel to them and doing nothing about it.
I quite liked the two doors sketch.

Don’t get the fuss
5/10

Don't bother with The Favourite then, even worse.

Miserable Les

Jan 17, 2019
Went to the midday matinee of Mary Queen of Scots today at the DoY. And if I hadn't already gone into the cinema as a confirmed Saoirse Ronan fanboy, then I would certainly have emerged as one. She puts in a absolutely magnificent performance, as Alan Shearer would say on MOTD, with a huge range of moods and emotions, from skittish schoolgirl when alone with her giggling handmaidens, to imperious monarch in the company of the ever-plotting all-male members her royal court. She NAILS every scene in which she appears, leaving every other actor floundering in her wake, including Margot Robbie as Elizabeth, and basically transforms what would otherwise be an unremarkable, maybe even leaden, historical costume romp, the likes of which we've all seen WAY too often, into something much more substantial.

7/10

(which comprises an average of 9/10 for SR's performance, and 5/10 for everything else about the movie)

Good review there, mostly agree, especially re; the amazing Saoirse. I'd give it a bit more than 5/10 for the rest though, thought it romped along at a good pace which kept my attention, was shot and costumed beautifully and loved the Max Richter score. An overall 8/10 for me.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes

7/10

I went to the evening showing (Saturday). TBH I'm not a fan of historical romps. I only went to see Saoirse and how she would play a character that didn't have much of a life (just my opinion). I thought it was a great film, not at all leaden. I don't agree with you about the actress who played E1. I thought she was really good too and made me warm to the character.
She cared about her 'sister', whereas Mary seemed delighted to hear E had the P word. 9/10

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here