Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Gregg's Vegan Sausage Roll

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I probably ate less meat 40 years ago as a kid, it wasn't poorly and cheaply produced like it is now and far less affordable to ordinary folk.

The real patisserie in Shoreham do a very nice veggie sausage roll, exact texture of a cheap satanic sausage roll, not quite as salty and Lardy though

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
As I've posted elsewhere on here, Findon's new-ish excellent coffee shop has an amazing range of sausage rolls sourced from "This Little Piggy" in Brighton. The meat range is incredible and the veggie ones aren't bad either. The "Cheesy Does It" is my personal favourite:

Bombay Beauty - Bombay potatoes & lime pickle; topped with mustard seeds
The Fun-Guy - Chestnut mushrooms, puy lentils, peanuts & cayenne pepper; topped with black pepper
Cheesy Does It - Mature chedddar, leeks & mustard; topped with cheddar
Grecian Goddess - Feta, courgette, mint & thyme
The Has-Bean - Smashed kidney beans, sundried tomato, peanuts & cayenne pepper
Beet Goes On - Beetroot, carrot, rosemary & garlic

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
As I've posted elsewhere on here, Findon's new-ish excellent coffee shop has an amazing range of sausage rolls sourced from "This Little Piggy" in Brighton. The meat range is incredible and the veggie ones aren't bad either. The "Cheesy Does It" is my personal favourite:

The Fun-Guy - Chestnut mushrooms, puy lentils, peanuts & cayenne pepper; topped with black pepper

Oh I like the sound of all of those

Shopes

Jan 3, 2018

They sound great. Apparently all the Greggs in Brighton had sold out of the vegan sausage rolls by midday.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003

Just as I was about to take the piss, some of those sound good, particularly the last one :down:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
dammit i really want a sausage roll now, even one of these fangled vegan ones.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I get peeved almost weekly at the thought of a veggie pasty - the middle of which is a slightly dried quarter tin of sh*t-end vegetable soup - costing £1.40. I don't know when the leap from 79p went. I became triple-riled when in Newcastle a Christmas ago where i expected their pasties to be about 18p. Nope, £1.40, and bought to eat in a Greggs restaurant, an establishment i don't think i can in this lifetime agree to sit and claw an unhealthy, crumbly splat in.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
The Linda McCartney mini sausage roll thingies are really good also. Not tried the Greggs thing but their vegan bean wrap / sandwich is a travesty. The wrap bit is always sodden.

Not surprising that non-vegans create a fuss over a vegan thing, in my experience they are way more irritating than actual vegans on the topic of veganism. Classic Piers, comparing the death of insects - which is an accident / side-effect of every day life, versus the rearing of animals solely for the purpose of consumption. Still, he already knows that. I really cannot stand how people like him and the Hopkins lady can make a lucrative career out of being an obnoxious ****.

Well I am absolutely shocked that there is someone who doesn't realise that Piers Morgan is a complete and utter ****
...Is there any way that he can be stripped of his Sussex citizenship - I believe he at least lived in Fletching, not sure if he was born there? :) .

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Regular Vegan Butter Recipe - Coconut Oil Base
Yield: 1 cup (215 grams), or the equivalent of 2 sticks

¼ cup + 2 teaspoons soy milk
½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
½ teaspoon coconut vinegar (if you can’t find coconut vinegar, substitute with ½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar so the total is 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar)
¼ + ⅛ teaspoon salt

½ cup + 2 Tablespoons + 1 teaspoon (130 grams) refined coconut oil, melted
1 Tablespoon canola oil, light olive oil or rice bran oil

1 teaspoon liquid soy lecithin or liquid sunflower lecithin or 2 ¼ teaspoons soy lecithin granules
¼ teaspoon xanthan gum or ½ + ⅛ teaspoon psyllium husk powder
1) Curdle your soy milk
Place the soy milk, apple cider vinegar, coconut vinegar and salt in a small cup and whisk together with a fork. Let it sit for about 10 minutes so the mixture curdles.
2) Mix your Vegan Butter ingredients
Melt the coconut oil in a microwave so it's barely melted and as close to room temperature as possible. Measure it and add it and the canola oil to a food processor. Add the soy milk mixture, soy lecithin and xanthan gum to the food processor. Process for 2 minutes, scraping down the sides halfway through the duration.
TIP: Making smooth Vegan Butter is dependent on the mixture solidifying as quickly as possible after it's mixed. This is why it's important to make sure your coconut oil is as close to room temperature as possible before you mix it with the rest of the ingredients.
3) Transfer the Vegan Butter to a mold so it solidifies.
Pour the mixture into a mold and place it in the freezer to solidify. An ice cube mold works well. It should be ready to use in about an hour. Store Vegan Butter in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 month or wrapped in plastic wrap in the freezer for up to 1 year.

or......just use butter :shrug:

Do you make your own butter?

You can buy dairy free butter at any supermarket.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
0BED85D9-53FC-47E3-8DDA-1487DC2CC6B0.jpeg

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here