Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Gregg's Vegan Sausage Roll

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Exactly. Around 32% with a Gregg's one but there again only if you include cheek, gristle, sinew, tongue, fat and a few hairy nostrils.

I pay top dollar for this in St John.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
WOW, it's true, vegetarians can be quite defensive :D

It really isn't a difficult concept to grasp. A large number of Vegetarians were meat eaters for a long time and made a conscious decision so stop eating meat. But not because they don't like the taste of meat. You might as well ask why people who give up alcohol drink alcohol free beer/wine. Or diabetics eat sugar free products. Standard social media reply - I don't agree with something so no-one else should do it.

Yes it is. Alcohol free beer/wine is beer/wine with the alcohol (one ingredient) removed leaving the rest, a beer is a beer irrelevant of the alcohol content. Same with diabetic products as per your own example.

It is not making something look like something it is not.

Because a lot of vegetarians and vegans are such for ethical reasons ........ It’s a very simple concept really... I myself avoid meat tasting products but fully understand why others like them.

Then surely ethically they wouldn't want to make non-meat products look like they are eating a dead animal, would they ?.

It’s not difficult to grasp but they really do seem to struggle with the concept don’t they!

Don't struggle at all, quite often eat vegetarian meals. (I just don't pretend it's meat !)

I like meat but have greatly reduced my consumption over the past year out of concern for animal welfare and environmental reasons. I shall probably go all the way and go veggie in the not too distant future. Having a convincing meat substitute would definitely help.
However, I applaud your coining of the word "meatetarian". It makes me smile. :)

Your concern for animal welfare is admirable, but if you are going to become a vegetarian then your meat substitute does not need to look or taste like meat unless you want to hark back to the time when you used to enjoy it.

I'm pleased you like the term meatetarian.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Then surely ethically they wouldn't want to make non-meat products look like they are eating a dead animal, would they ?.

Are you seriously comparing the moral and ethical decision to not eat a sentient being and making non-meat based food taste/ look similar? Just... wow... :facepalm:

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Are you seriously comparing the moral and ethical decision to not eat a sentient being and making non-meat based food taste/ look similar? Just... wow... :facepalm:

No I'm not.

I am simply curious as to why someone who doesn't want to eat sentient beings for moral and ethical reasons, would want to make it appear as if they are.

You are overthinking my curiosity as to the appearance of food....just wow...:facepalm:

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
No I'm not.

I am simply curious as to why someone who doesn't want to eat sentient beings for moral and ethical reasons, would want to make it appear as if they are.

You are overthinking my curiosity as to the appearance of food....just wow...:facepalm:

How many more times does it need to be explained? How do you manage to even log onto a computer?

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
How many more times does it need to be explained? How do you manage to even log onto a computer?

Apparently I manage to logon on quite easily.

Are you normally this angry and touchy when asked a question ?

Now please explain to me one last time, (in words you think I might understand if that helps you), why someone who doesn't want to eat sentient beings for moral and ethical reasons, would want to make it appear as if they are.

I would appreciate a reasonable answer without the need to resort to an insult as that serves no-one. Thank you.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Why do vegetarians/vegans want to replicate meat, make it look like meat, taste like meat...why ? Be vegetarian eat it as it is.

After all meatetarians don't try and make their steak look like a carrot do they ? ???

Absolute classic thicko twunt argument.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
WOW, it's true, vegetarians can be quite defensive :D

Yes it is. Alcohol free beer/wine is beer/wine with the alcohol (one ingredient) removed leaving the rest, a beer is a beer irrelevant of the alcohol content. Same with diabetic products as per your own example.

It is not making something look like something it is not.

Don't struggle at all, quite often eat vegetarian meals. (I just don't pretend it's meat !)

Your concern for animal welfare is admirable, but if you are going to become a vegetarian then your meat substitute does not need to look or taste like meat unless you want to hark back to the time when you used to enjoy it.

I'm pleased you like the term meatetarian.

Classic social media #2. Don't read the full thread and then make wild assumptions. I made it perfectly clear that I am not a vegetarian. Do you want to keep your prize or go for the star prize and try and work Hitler in?

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Apparently read by someone incapable of answering without using insults. That says everything really.

It’s a tired and lazy attempt at derision, only worthy of derision itself. Your further replies show youre not looking for an answer only looking to wind people up. So thicko twunt still stands.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Apparently I manage to logon on quite easily.

Are you normally this angry and touchy when asked a question ?

Now please explain to me one last time, (in words you think I might understand if that helps you), why someone who doesn't want to eat sentient beings for moral and ethical reasons, would want to make it appear as if they are.

I would appreciate a reasonable answer without the need to resort to an insult as that serves no-one. Thank you.

People grow up eating meat, I did, ate it pretty much everyday and enjoyed the taste and everything. When I chose to give it up taste had nothing to do with it, it was purely because I didn’t want to eat animals both for their sake and the environments. I grew up eating sausage rolls, burgers etc and when I make a meal sometimes I want comfort food that reminds of what I used to eat, without all the bad stuff.

Nowadays after a few years of not eating meat i don’t crave meat itself but instead really enjoy the substitutes. Burgers, sausages etc are just shapes, they don’t come off the cow looking like that (as much as the industry would love people to believe it works like that) so there is absolutely nothing strange about making soy/bean/whatever products look like that

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
People grow up eating meat, I did, ate it pretty much everyday and enjoyed the taste and everything. When I chose to give it up taste had nothing to do with it, it was purely because I didn’t want to eat animals both for their sake and the environments. I grew up eating sausage rolls, burgers etc and when I make a meal sometimes I want comfort food that reminds of what I used to eat, without all the bad stuff.

Nowadays after a few years of not eating meat i don’t crave meat itself but instead really enjoy the substitutes. Burgers, sausages etc are just shapes, they don’t come off the cow looking like that (as much as the industry would love people to believe it works like that) so there is absolutely nothing strange about making soy/bean/whatever products look like that

Thank you for a reasonable answer.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
It’s a tired and lazy attempt at derision, only worthy of derision itself. Your further replies show youre not looking for an answer only looking to wind people up. So thicko twunt still stands.

You responses speak volumes.

Last edited:

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
No I'm not.

You implied it was unethical to eat food that looks like meat when it isn’t, so I’m hardly over thinking it.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Not a big fan of Greggs , I think the food is generally not great quality but thought I would try the vegan sausage roll because of all the publicity. Honest opinion - Awful.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Greggs is shit and people are stupid and can be tricked into giving them money when they wouldn't ever have done before.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here