Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurant 2019 Thread

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Well, I'm up to London today, hoping for some additional evening cheer. Will check out Market Halls for lunch, see:

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2018/dec/21/market-halls-london-sw1-restaurant-review-grace-dent

... this is an interesting development, and might just prove a decent way of reviving the flagging high street. We like eating out, eating decent, interesting food, and doing so relatively cheaply, so gathering together lots of like-minded providers in one place is a good idea. Borough Market has served as a great template. Will eat dinner in the Howling Hops Brewery and Tank Bar, near Hackney Wick tube before the game.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
January’s looking like a decent month - Sat Baines, Matt Healey’s place in (dirty) Leeds, Sushi Tetsu, Indian cooking course at River Cottage, followed by something in the evening somewhere around Axminster/Lyme Regis (any suggestions?), The Sportsman, and Pearl Liang.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
January’s looking like a decent month - Sat Baines, Matt Healey’s place in (dirty) Leeds, Sushi Tetsu, Indian cooking course at River Cottage, followed by something in the evening somewhere around Axminster/Lyme Regis (any suggestions?), The Sportsman, and Pearl Liang.

It's tough at the top then, eh.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Well, I'm up to London today, hoping for some additional evening cheer. Will check out Market Halls for lunch, see:

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2018/dec/21/market-halls-london-sw1-restaurant-review-grace-dent

... this is an interesting development, and might just prove a decent way of reviving the flagging high street. We like eating out, eating decent, interesting food, and doing so relatively cheaply, so gathering together lots of like-minded providers in one place is a good idea. Borough Market has served as a great template. Will eat dinner in the Howling Hops Brewery and Tank Bar, near Hackney Wick tube before the game.

Market Halls is a gem. Bang opposite Victoria station, it provides a welcome addition to an erstwhile cultural desert. I wanted to eat at virtually every outlet there, but settled for the Roti place (had with dhal). Delicious. We arrived in there at about 11.50, and wondered around to see what was going on, and were first in the queue when the Roti place opened, within five minutes there were ten waiting in line. It's going to be a great quick eat on the way back from games.
One of these in central Brighton please.

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Market Halls is a gem. Bang opposite Victoria station, it provides a welcome addition to an erstwhile cultural desert. I wanted to eat at virtually every outlet there, but settled for the Roti place (had with dhal). Delicious. We arrived in there at about 11.50, and wondered around to see what was going on, and were first in the queue when the Roti place opened, within five minutes there were ten waiting in line. It's going to be a great quick eat on the way back from games.
One of these in central Brighton please.

I went to a similar-ish place in Elephant and Castle just before Xmas. http://www.mercatometropolitano.co.uk

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Indian cooking course at River Cottage,

#Envy !!!!

Although I'm away next weekend at Ockenden Manor ..... can't wait for dinner. Sportsman booked for Easter.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
First port of call is looking like 7-Bone, been meaning to go for a while.

Has a 5 Guys last night at that Westfield place by the ground, not bad but very expensive for what it was in my view.

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
#Envy !!!!

Although I'm away next weekend at Ockenden Manor ..... can't wait for dinner. Sportsman booked for Easter.

The Sportsman is on my bucket list. I so want to go there.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
You can stay at the Sportsman these days apparently, though I bet that costs a few sheckles.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Roundhill pub just south of Fiveways has reopened as a vegetarian and Vegan restaurant. Had an excellent Sunday lunch, great atmosphere, packed out and great choice of ales including Harvey’s best.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Not technically a restaurant but quite noteworthy is that the Chinese takeaway called Tasty at Fiveways is extremely serviceable. I am not a fan of Chinese food as a rule as it’s usually too greasy but this was really good as worth a go. They don’t have a card machine or anything so watch out for that but the two lady cooks seem to know exactly what they are doing and it’s excellent value too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here