Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Cost of football really is a joke

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Yes he good food and I got a pint and a burger. Another £15 or so worth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You mean your boy didn’t get a pint too? What a joke.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Don't we still have a draw from Junior Seagulls occasionally, for a free mascot?
There is often more than one mascot coming out with the team.

I have no idea of what the Seagulls Club offer the kids these days but it used to be one mascot home and away in the Junior Seagulls days. The home one from a draw of all members, and the away one from those members travelling to the game. It was always free, although I don’t think the away mascot received a free kit.
Seems that now the club can afford to offer this, they don’t. They just want to grab enough money to pay a player’s wages for few hours. I take the view that we were more of a community club when the club didn’t used to shout about it.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
When my daughter was a mascot, Brighton had mix of mascots who were there for free and captain mascots who had paid. The free mascots were pick randomly, if you wanted to make sure your child got a chance you could pay. We were lucky and in a financial position to pay as my daughter was desperate to be a mascots and we got it as one of her Christmas presents. To this day she says it the best present she ever had she was 10 she now 16. It was a game against Reading and some of friends were in the away end. So for me it was worth it. I don’t know if Brighton still have this mix, I hope they do as it will give a child who may otherwise not get a chance a day to remember.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I have no idea of what the Seagulls Club offer the kids these days but it used to be one mascot home and away in the Junior Seagulls days. The home one from a draw of all members, and the away one from those members travelling to the game. It was always free, although I don’t think the away mascot received a free kit.
Seems that now the club can afford to offer this, they don’t. They just want to grab enough money to pay a player’s wages for few hours. I take the view that we were more of a community club when the club didn’t used to shout about it.

Michael O’Leary’s influence grows.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
How much does Gully have to pay each game to wear his outfit and have his photo taken with the officials and captains

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't understand the issue here to be honest. You get what you pay for surely? You pay for a seat you get a seat, you pay for a VIP experience you get a VIP experience. People who are against this, do you think you should be able to buy front row seats at gigs or VIP meet and greets for the same amount as the cheapest ticket? Proper baffling thread this one.

This.

The OP might not like it, but other people clearly do and seemingly would be happy to do it again due to it's VFM.

Once again, being free and easy with someone else's (the clubs) money comes very easy for some people.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Because it involves families and kids. For the sake of the relatively minute increase in income, it gives an advantage to the better off in having their little-un walk out with the club captain.

Everything in a football club shouldn’t be about who can afford to pay a lot more.

This is exactly right, football has (and maybe for a long time now) gone too far when it comes to money

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
This.

The OP might not like it, but other people clearly do and seemingly would be happy to do it again due to it's VFM.

Once again, being free and easy with someone else's (the clubs) money comes very easy for some people.

Do you think the £6k a season makes a difference?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This is exactly right, football has (and maybe for a long time now) gone too far when it comes to money

That may be true, but for just how years has that been written?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Do you think the £6k a season makes a difference?
Why should mascots be free?

Why don't we get free tea or coffee? The club can afford it.
Why don't we get free travel? The club can afford it.
Why don't we get free programmes? The club can afford it.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Fans now having to pay to be a mascot?

I am sure its been talked about on here before but £350 to be one at Brighton, with all this money sloshing around why charge?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-46526716

are you looking to be a masot and disappointed to have to pay, or just making a fuss over something that doesnt have any bearing on you or your experience at football?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
But why should they charge the £125? I think that's my point. Clubs should be encouraging kids (and in reality parents) to attend which this to me is the issue.

Also dont get me wrong for a kid I bet it is a marvellous experience.

Out of interest if you were/are a STH would they reduce the price as you had a ticket already?

My son and I are STHs. My wife and his sister used our tickets. If not we'd have put them on the exchange,further discounting the cost.

Agree with OP.

I don’t think PL club’s should charge to be the Captain’s Mascot, with £110m of broadcasting income. Not least because the places will be grabbed by families with a financial advantage.

Several points here. In a capatalist economy everything good goes to people with financial advantage. Want to eat in a Michelin restaurant, drive a new car, go to a Lord's test? People with financial advantage will go more than others. But the restaurant has lunch deals, cars can be leased, Lord's offer a few cheaper tickets for concessions / restricted view. The OP stated Brighton charge £350. That is WRONG. They charge that for two places but there is a mascot for every pleyer and the skipper has two. Some of those places are free draws. If they were all free draws you'd have very little chance. If they were first come, first served then they'd be snapped up by people who had decent IT knowledge and knew how to be first in the server queue - or "faked" by ticket sites and passed on.

Secondly my friend's son is a mascot later this season. They live on a council estate and are both NHS workers with very little spare cash but the grandparents bought it for a treat to spoil him BECAUSE they don't have much money.

Thirdly one of my justifications for paying it was that the money went back to the club. For all we know it is budgeted towards the tremendous deals we see for under 10s, particularly in the Family Stand, that allow kids from all backgrounds to go to games. Or, if not, it's put towards players and "something else" subsidises the concession deals we offer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here