Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Cost of football really is a joke

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
you choose not to afford it.....so you aren`t being ripped of then !

You genuinely think everyone on the planet is born with exactly the same opportunities as each other?

You honestly believe that?

Diablo

NSC Patreon
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
You genuinely think everyone on the planet is born with exactly the same opportunities as each other?

You honestly believe that?

Bemused as to why you consider I think everyone on the planet is born with exactly the same opportunities as each other?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Bemused as to why you consider I think everyone on the planet is born with exactly the same opportunities as each other?

Because you said the other person chooses not to afford it, as if they have chosen to be in the financial situation they are in. Unless I have misunderstood you?

Diablo

NSC Patreon
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Because you said the other person chooses not to afford it, as if they have chosen to be in the financial situation they are in. Unless I have misunderstood you?

Yes indeed he chooses not to spend his money on "Kids being mascot". I do too.

I didn`t say he chooses to be "unable" to afford it which is I presume what you thought I meant.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Yes indeed he chooses not to spend his money on "Kids being mascot". I do too.

I didn`t say he chooses to be "unable" to afford it which is I presume what you thought I meant.

He didn't say that. He said he cannot afford it - not that he chooses not to spend his money on it. Two very different things.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Anyway, the club seem to be very generous to the young seagulls: Totally free membership, a load of free goodies every year (apparently) and a free shirt on their 7th birthday.

Apparently, you have to register the child for a free shirt before their seventh birthday though. If you don't, you don't get one. #BarberOut indeed.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Remember that I am a Tory.

Imagine being 8 year old Johnny and occasionally being taken to see your superstar heroes. Not every game but once or twice a season, on your birthday maybe or at Xmas. Imagine that you only ever get to see Burnley or Cardiff at The Amex,but that’s OK as mum can not afford tickets against the ‘big’ clubs. Imagine that your PE kit is proper Albion stuff, but a season or two out of date away kit as that is cheaper than the new home kit that dad says is too modern anyway. Now imagine Billy Spoiltgit at school bragging about how he sits in 1901 with his dad and is friends with Glenn Murray’s son, and has every kit since we made the Prem. The first kid might think that Billy is a bit of a knob but would be very envious when Billy’s dad buys a mascot place every year for a glamour fixture.

Now imagine if there was only one mascot per game, drawn at random from the registered junior fans list. Imagine how much joy, pride and gratitude Johnny would feel if here were lucky enough to be a ‘chosen’ one? And Billy or his dad could never take that away. That is why the club should reduce the numbers and make it free.

This goes for literally everything though. Whether it's your favourite band, the new iPhone, console, holidays abroad. Nobody questions the fandom of Johnny, and Johnny can still get that elusive mascot spot. They have 2 spots every game per another poster. I don't think this has anything to do with Tory or not, I think it's just naivety from posters probably alot older and wiser than me on here, which is why I find the whole thing baffling.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
This goes for literally everything though. Whether it's your favourite band, the new iPhone, console, holidays abroad. Nobody questions the fandom of Johnny, and Johnny can still get that elusive mascot spot. They have 2 spots every game per another poster. I don't think this has anything to do with Tory or not, I think it's just naivety from posters probably alot older and wiser than me on here, which is why I find the whole thing baffling.

People with lots of money will always be able to buy pretty much what they want. Wether that be exclusive travel, never-on-the-market homes, jumping waiting lists for rare and desirable cars - you name it. With enough money you can buy the loyalty and servitude of human beings. That's called employment, but hey...

Parents will always want the 'best' for their kids, and if they have enough cash - they'll happily pay for it. That goes from the Mum on benefits doing without to buy their kids an iPad for Christmas right through to the rich man buying his kid a car even though he's not old enough to drive.

This isn't either/or - it's about either/and. If the club really must treat this as revenue, what about putting up the price of a paying mascot package to incorporate maybe 1 in 3 or 4 of the mascots being there for free? Then, ask parents to write in - or have people nominate other people's kids who deserve it? After all, if it's all done by ballot the rich mans kid could end up going for free if was ballot-only, and is that fair?

Personally I've no issue with the rich kids doing nice things. 99.9% of people would do it for their own if they could afford it - and at the end of the day, as a kid, are you going to turn it down? Is it their fault they've got rich parents? No, it's not.

So there we are. Let the wealthy pay for the deserving. The club loses nothing, and the poorer kids get to do something amazing.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

It's more than 2 isn't it ? Reynolds always seems to have 8-10 with him in the pre-match guff.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

Yes indeed. I haven't actually looked what the Albion currently charge, but do recall a few years ago a figure of about 250.00 for the Captain's Package and less for a normal one! Some of the figures quoted in this article are terrible. I was quite shocked at that - in 1985, my lad was mascot at the Goldstone and we had a free kit plus free drinks for the family in the player's bar afterwards. Danny Wilson was captain at the time, and he was very good to my lad. How times have changed. Yes, times have indeed changed and I probably wouldn't expect a freebie now but at times the money-grabbing seems excessive.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Some things money can’t buy. Football isn’t one: The Amex.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here