Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Dry January [and beyond...]

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I've not drunk and not eaten meat (still eating fish) for the whole of January. I started the month at 80kgs, and weighed myself this morning - still 80kgs. Annoying!

I've upped my exercise and been avoiding sugary drinks, seems to have made some difference, now at 86kg from 91kg, problem is I'm only 5' 6" so still very much in the obese camp!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Easy weekend to get through - drove to the game and got there only just before kick-off. It didn't even cross my mind to have a drink on either evening at home, whereas I normally would have a fair few.

I'll weigh myself tomorrow as I started being better with my diet on Tuesday 8th. Can't imagine it's been another 4lb+ weight loss this week though, as it will slow down after the easy start.

To be honest I think smaller losses consistently are better anyway, I'm hoping to drop a 1lb a week at the moment, but easier for me as a fat lad!

Stumpy Tim

I've upped my exercise and been avoiding sugary drinks, seems to have made some difference, now at 86kg from 91kg, problem is I'm only 5' 6" so still very much in the obese camp!

I'm 5 foot 9, so borderline healthy/overweight. I have noticed I've developed more of a sweet tooth that normal though. Last year I did the same thing though, and went from 82kgs to 78kgs.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Late start for me brothers. Drank till 13th January. Been off since and planning on getting to end of April and 100 days. Then hoping not to do what I did in 2018, drinking every day for 7 months.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
To be honest I think smaller losses consistently are better anyway, I'm hoping to drop a 1lb a week at the moment, but easier for me as a fat lad!

Absolutely, yes. My aim is 1.5lbs a week, so getting ahead of that early on gives me a bit of leeway later on!

I'm also very much a fat lad, relative to what I was around a year and a half ago when I last ran.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Absolutely, yes. My aim is 1.5lbs a week, so getting ahead of that early on gives me a bit of leeway later on!

I'm also very much a fat lad, relative to what I was around a year and a half ago when I last ran.

Apparently I should be about 70kgs, so 16kgs or 1st 7lb to go! Not so sure I'd want to be that anyway as I'm naturally heavy build so my aim is 75kg, or 11 st 11lb would do me.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I'm 6ft 2 and 17 Stone 1lb - so although I don't look overweight (I just look like a 'big bloke' apparently) I'm probably morbidly obese if the BMI scale is anything to go by.

Yes to the sweet tooth. I'm solidly more of a 'pork pie' than a 'bar of chocolate' person usually, but since stopping drinking I'd reach for the Dairy Milk every time! Odd.... Also, my evening drinks now consist of Orange Juice and Cranberry, Apple Juice, and Heineken 0,0 - which are all loaded with sugar or carbs.

One thing I'm constantly noticing is that if you want no-alcohol drinks, or juices - there's a little section in the store. If you want alcohol though.. well, come in Brother..... we have 752 types of wine, 957 types of beer, and 324 types of spirit for you to delight yourself with. Come... Come... this wayyyy.... yesssss...... fill yer boots.

Pisses me off now! :annoyed:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm 6ft 2 and 17 Stone 1lb - so although I don't look overweight (I just look like a 'big bloke' apparently) I'm probably morbidly obese if the BMI scale is anything to go by.

Yes to the sweet tooth. I'm solidly more of a 'pork pie' than a 'bar of chocolate' person usually, but since stopping drinking I'd reach for the Dairy Milk every time! Odd.... Also, my evening drinks now consist of Orange Juice and Cranberry, Apple Juice, and Heineken 0,0 - which are all loaded with sugar or carbs.

One thing I'm constantly noticing is that if you want no-alcohol drinks, or juices - there's a little section in the store. If you want alcohol though.. well, come in Brother..... we have 752 types of wine, 957 types of beer, and 324 types of spirit for you to delight yourself with. Come... Come... this wayyyy.... yesssss...... fill yer boots.

Pisses me off now! :annoyed:

Not sure that's the case. In Tesco in Worthing, where we do our shopping, I'd say it's about the same size of space for booze and non-booze, once you consider all the squashes, juices, fizzy drinks, waters, cordials and mixers.

As I think I said somewhere on this thread, I did check out the booze-free booze section last week for the first time and I was surprised just how much there was, although there did seem to be two distinct types: 0% abc booze and 0.5% abv booze. I did briefly consider buying a few too try, but figured they'd still be more calorific than lime and sparkling water and, as I'm not really craving the taste of booze at all, I didn't buy any.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Why January? January is miserable month full of post Xmas blues, cold weather and little going on. Seems the worst month to stop drinking booze to me.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Why January? January is miserable month full of post Xmas blues, cold weather and little going on. Seems the worst month to stop drinking booze to me.

It's not so much January for me, it's more the whole "new year, new start" thing I suppose. I needed to change direction on a few things and it always seems a good, if somewhat cliched, time to do it.

Knocky's Nose

May 7, 2017
Eastbourne

Actually mine was nothing to do with January. Every Christmas I get to the end of it and think "I am absolutely sick of eating and drinking" - but I just seem to carry on in January, which then eases me into the rest of the year... This time I finished stuffing my face with food and pouring everything I could lay my hands on down my neck on New Years Day when the wife's family was round and thought "now is the time to stop." when they all waved goodbye and drove off down the road.

There's never a bad time to stop drinking, really, which does sound a bit evangelical I'll grant you.

As for [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] - you must live somewhere nicer than me then! It's all about the booze in my local stores... :glare:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

What do you suggest, August?

Those long summer evening will just fly by completely sober.

Knocky's Nose

May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Being a 'Home Drinker' I think it'll actually be easier in Summer! I can get out for a run, take the dog out, do some gardening, go for a walk, wash the car - and plenty more to distract me. However, when it's bloody freezing outside (or raining) and the evenings are dark and miserable - you sit in front of the TV or Computer in your nice warm home, and that's when you fancy a beer or a glass of wine the most. That's possibly just me.. I don't know.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Actually mine was nothing to do with January. Every Christmas I get to the end of it and think "I am absolutely sick of eating and drinking" - but I just seem to carry on in January, which then eases me into the rest of the year... This time I finished stuffing my face with food and pouring everything I could lay my hands on down my neck on New Years Day when the wife's family was round and thought "now is the time to stop." when they all waved goodbye and drove off down the road.

There's never a bad time to stop drinking, really, which does sound a bit evangelical I'll grant you.

As for [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] - you must live somewhere nicer than me then! It's all about the booze in my local stores... :glare:

That's the big Tesco Extra place. I suspect you're right when it comes to the Tesco Express down the road.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

I think for a lot of people, it's a combination of the new year and the fact that they might have drunk WAY too much over the Christmas period, so they decide to knock the booze on the head. I haven't done it myself, but watching the Adrian Chiles programme did make me think about what I drink as well as the attitudes towards drinkers who give it a rest for a while (and non-drinkers). The drinking culture seems pretty strong, but it seems as though it's on the wane.

Well done to all who are seeing it through.

Knocky's Nose

May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I do get the feeling that drinkers see me as some kind of 'weirdo not to be trusted' when I'm out and don't drink. Wether they feel 'judged' by you, I'm not sure... When you drink, and you know you drink too much, you tend to judge yourself and beat yourself up mentally anyway - so you don't need anyone else to do it for you, so I do get it.

Never bothered me when someone wasn't drinking though. They were always great for a lift :thumbsup:

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Went out Friday night to a few pubs and came to the conclusion that drunk people are very, very annoying. If they could listen/watch themselves back on video at the volume they are speaking at in the pub (yes, I am aware I must be the same when pissed) then they should be embarrassed. Had to move tables twice as groups were shouting so loud in general conversation.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Still going and really not finding it hard (not being smug I promise). Since is identified that much of my drinking was habitual and set off by triggers (such as cooking in the evening) it's been so much easier to avoid booze. I'm coming to the conclusion that I don't need it, I suspect that I'll just carry on being alcohol free after January and see where that goes.

Stick at it chums - a few days to go then.......who knows!!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

2lb off this week, making 10 3/4lb in three weeks.

10lb more to lose my March 9th if I'm going to allow myself a first drink then.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here